gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Your numbers are zincolns. Zincolns are a different animal than the original copper cents. Small pure copper cents always sound high pitch until they start getting really green and deep then they might dance with mid tone a bit but certainly get dug because they are deep and sound better than iffy. The newer Zinc cents, they are almost always mid tone, unless you run over a fresh drop with no corrosion, that might want to pop high pitch. But if you pull the coil a bit, it will certainly drop to mid, where a copper cent will not drop off to mid. Learn depth by judging proportional audio and try zero notch and zero iron scrim for a while and dont worry about numbers yet and dig a couple hundred targets and you will become a very good atpro user, in just a few days. For now, I would give greater emphasis on the sounds, not the numbers. The numbers do no justice for the very good atpro audio.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you are describing is normal on zinc pennies, not copper ones!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
And knowing that bit of information now, you can decide if you want to dig it or not. In trashy areas, I would dig it, as it could be a silver coin beside a rusty nail. Copper and silver coins or clad except those zinc pennies tend to give good solid signals.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The zincoln will give good solid mid tone just like a nickel. I dig fifty pull tabs to every one zinky. I dig more nicks than zinc because most guys ignore mid tone anyway, unless they are looking for gold. In parks, the zincs get sucked up by the newbs so the annoying zincs are not too bothersome. In the parks I dig zincolns too during trash pick-up day, only because I want to get the crap outa there hoping for a masked goody. I find gold this way too. If you aint diggin zinc, and pull tabs and such, you probably aint diggin gold. Add numbers to the mix and you probably will not do too good at all.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed the zinc pennies give a broken high or steady mid tone. I have dug silver next to iron and it def gives an iffy signal. Sometimes a high pitch for a sec then low grunt. If it's deep it's getting dug up. If it's very shallow I may just pass it up. All the silver rings I have dug sound off as a copper penny so far for me. It depends on your ground conditions also. I usually dig the zink pennies just in case it may be something better. Most are so trashed that they get thrown away. Almost all the Indian head cents I've dug come in like a zink but a clean sound. Some mid tone but most high tone. I don't know if it's just me or not but a silver coin gives a diff high pitch sound than a clad. I almost always know when I'm going to dig a silver coin. It's the sweetest sound on the at pro. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks. Your help is much appreciated.

Bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread