Iron ball in river

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha and Delta, Garrett At Pro, Garrett pro pointer.
Found this iron ball today with the AT Pro in the river. Not sure what it really is, please help to identify.

ForumRunner_20140718_190133.png

ForumRunner_20140718_190152.png

ForumRunner_20140718_190211.png

ForumRunner_20140718_190232.png

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting you sure it's iron?

OP
OP
Dtschuler

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Yes, came home stuck a magnet to it.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grape shot with a spur. I have one just like it. Great find, congrats.
ZDD

OP
OP
Dtschuler

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
I found it in the Willamette river in Albany Oregon. Not sure if any battles here.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it in the Willamette river in Albany Oregon. Not sure if any battles here.

I found one too! Found it in a Brook.

There's a chart that gives measurements of Cannon Balls and Grapeshot and it has information on the use and type of cannon that it may have been used in. I measure mine and found that it was used in a type of cluster load. Something like birdshot in a shotgun shell but on a larger scale.

Sorry but I'm not an expert but there are plenty on Treasure whom know much more than I and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I measure mine and found that it was used in a type of cluster load. Something like birdshot in a shotgun shell but on a larger scale.

Probably canister shot.Canister was fired so the iron balls bounced along the ground.Heres an interesting video.the poor S.O.B.s that were ordered to march into the cannon muzzles,unreal.

Published on Jun 29, 2012

We fired 17 rounds of Canister from an original Civil War Napoleon Field Cannon for a study on battlefield archeology. Each Canister shell contained 27 steel balls 1.5" in dia that were painted a certain color and then fired out onto a field from various cannon positions. The cannon's coordinates and the balls that were found were all documented using GPS Technology. The cannon was fired at various barrel elevations and at different levels of terrain. The data when analyzed will hopefully help archeologists determine where the cannons may have been placed during a historic battle.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After watching the video; I'd say you're right ("poor s.o.b's.) about having to face marching into a bunch of these being fired at you.

You literally wouldn't have a leg to stand on when it was over.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just looking for the video,it was the same thing basically except they had human form silhouettes set up and were firing triple loads of canister at them.

OP
OP
Dtschuler

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thanks everybody, great video.

OP
OP
Dtschuler

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Do you think a local museum would like this or not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread