Upgrade 350 to AT Pro

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I got it in my head that I will find more silver if I get an AT pro. With my 350 I've found 3 silver coins and a few jewelry pieces. My question is how much better is the at pro? Does it go a lot deeper? I have a feeling I am missing some nice coins due to lack of depth on my 350... I do have the bigger cool on my 350. I also should probably learn the settings better. I just usually put it on coins mode and turn sensitivity to about three quarters. Any suggestions guys and gals?

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro with the 5x8 coil will get masked coins that the 350 will null out due to better target seperation and recovery speed.
In my area I don't concern myself much with depth as all of the old silver I have found has been at the 4-6 inch mark.
In a nutshell if you can afford the At pro get it, if not don't let it keep you up at night as the 350 is a good machine as well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 is definitely capable of finding silver since silver is very conductive. I would stick with the 350 unless you feel the need to waste money. The ATP is not deeper than the 350. They are about equal in depth. Keep the coil level to the ground and close to it. Try to over lap your sweeps instead of relying on luck to find a target.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
User experience and understanding of their detector will factor.
Hunted a park repeatedly with a 350 while an acquaintance met there ran an AT Pro. Both of us familiar with our machines. He had me on hours and at least two old coins.
Discrimination (not through discrimination by settings)he edged me on also. Depth was more an issue of deciphering than potential reach. I run in jewelry mode mostly and with a 5x8 coil allowing a slight improvement in separation for me that may account for a couple older coins and jewelry he missed. I credit his abilities as greater than mine due to hours alone but the Pro helps!
The Pro is an upgrade ,but it is more than the possible greater depth, though it seems to eek out a couple more inches at least in better definition at near my maximum i.d. depth if trying to cherry pick.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 is definitely capable of finding silver since silver is very conductive. I would stick with the 350 unless you feel the need to waste money. The ATP is not deeper than the 350. They are about equal in depth. Keep the coil level to the ground and close to it. Try to over lap your sweeps instead of relying on luck to find a target.
i have to disagree with you on that one sandman the pro is def deeper than the 350 I have both and the pro picks up everything in test garden 350 will not pick up the 9" dime it will make a sound but it's a junk iron sound. The pro picks that dime up with the 5x8 coil also. I'm getting the at gold sone I hope because I'm more of a relic hunter and I love the pro so much that I'm going with the gold. I want the true all medal with threshold. If I want to hit a park I'll just use disc one or two. I dig a lot so it doesn't matter. I dig mostly by ear to and do t use the screen much. On the 350 I was looking at screen a lot. The 350 is a good machine though it will find silver no problem. The pro is just way more machine and can do things the 350 can't.

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the responses guys and gals! As for right now I'm strapped on cash. Maybe one days I'll trade in my 350 for at pro. But for now I'll have to learn the settings more and no settle for just coins mode.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i have to disagree with you on that one sandman the pro is def deeper than the 350 I have both and the pro picks up everything in test garden 350 will not pick up the 9" dime it will make a sound but it's a junk iron sound. The pro picks that dime up with the 5x8 coil also. I'm getting the at gold sone I hope because I'm more of a relic hunter and I love the pro so much that I'm going with the gold. I want the true all medal with threshold. If I want to hit a park I'll just use disc one or two. I dig a lot so it doesn't matter. I dig mostly by ear to and do t use the screen much. On the 350 I was looking at screen a lot. The 350 is a good machine though it will find silver no problem. The pro is just way more machine and can do things the 350 can't.
Your test garden dime is quite similar too the 350 in heavy wet soil on cents(other denominations on occasion also) also. It will first hit on coin tone then drop to iron. Coin tone then iron with out bouncing around out side of the coin hit ringing good then straight fall to iron.. And at less than max depth range. Quite a surprise when digging those signals produced coins in soil so wet that water stood at two inches deep. Once in a while a deep coin in dry soil will do it too when near max depth. Max meaning my understanding of signals. With discrimination up to just below foil if remembered correctly is where they rang like that.

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... I will always be satisfied with this hobby. I told myself if I ever found one single american silver coin I'd reach my goal. Now that I've found three different american silver coins in 2 and a half months I'm hooked! My next goal is a silver washington. So that's why I was thinking of an upgrade... 350 to AT pro.

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, can someone recommend specific places where I can learn all my 350 settings? Specific youtube links or something like that? So maybe that way I have a better chance of hitting more silver. Thanks!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most important of all....Location.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I will always be satisfied with this hobby. I told myself if I ever found one single american silver coin I'd reach my goal. Now that I've found three different american silver coins in 2 and a half months I'm hooked! My next goal is a silver washington. So that's why I was thinking of an upgrade... 350 to AT pro.

Greg, quite true !!..once you have dug your first silver coin..all you crave is more more more!! And good luck on the Washington..I have over $80.00 in clad quarters..and a large chunk of them being 1965's!, but no silver ones yet.. Doh!! so close..while quite elusive greg, they are out there so get out there and get the coil to the soil...good luck, happy hunting...ddf

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep rocking the 350... When you are in better financial shape, upgrade. Maybe by then the next AT-Pro model will be out. If there is a next AT-Pro model that is.

Bud

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am like you and thought same thing. I have the 350 and it is a great machine that one needs to learn mainly. This fall I plan to go to our 21 acre farm that has never been turned to do some detecting and hopefully find maybe some old relics!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reactivity speed of the Garrett AT Pro is a huge advantage in trashy ares over the 350.

Its the best $600 machine I have used!

Holler if you have questions about either machine. Be glad to help you! ;)

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garret 350 and use it a lot. It will find silver !!! I have many many hours, days, weeks on the 350 and I can understand what it's trying to tell me, most times. Your going to dig some crap no matter what machine you use. I haven't had any issues with my 350 and I actually pulled a mercury dime at 9" after a light rain. The best thing I can tell you is to: Set your sensitivity three bars down (three bars to the right blank). I hunt in "custom" mode and I discriminate out everything up to one bar below the nickel. (as in it's solid bars from one notch before the nickel all the way to the right end). I have found gold and silver, plus tons of other things. If the coil goes over it, you're going to find it with the 350, you just have to listen to it more so you know what it's trying to tell you. With all this being said, when I decide to update someday it will be to the AT Pro. My 350 has paid for itself, plus some, in gold and silver finds !!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a machine (at the price) that compares to the ATP.....in std mode, it is pretty much an ACE350.....burt in pro mode, there is no comparison....better depth, speed, target seperation....no more bottle caps! I have found more Civil War relics with my pro than all the other machines i have owned combined! But the pro will def take more time to master in the pro mode than the ACE......hope this helps.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reactivity speed of the Garrett AT Pro is a huge advantage in trashy ares over the 350.

Its the best $600 machine I have used!

Holler if you have questions about either machine. Be glad to help you! ;)

We'll return after this commercial message. Lol. Just joking. Good guys when it comes time for the upgrade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread