AT Pro with 5x8 coil questions

highlander1s

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this unit two summers now and have found lots of good things. I recently purchased the 5x8 coil and found some decent coins. The past month my son and I have been at an early 1800's home site that's loaded with iron and nails. We're getting the high pitch tone that is constant when we sweep back and forth, which normally is a coin. On the meter it registers 61-70 and sometimes a bit higher.. when it's dug out pops a square nail or two. Our settings are Pro-Zero mode/ Pro-coin mode-tried both/ iron is set at 25/ iron audio on and off/ sensitivity 2 to 3 off max/ GB usually 82.

I have read that there will be some roll over tones with iron which will some times give a high tone. But our high tones are like a coin is there, not a ear banging high tone but a high tone on the left and right sweep. Any one got any tips

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large iron or nails especially if bent or pointed will sometimes ring in as iron on all detectors. Even more if they have been in the ground a long time and have a good halo formed. Try raising the iron disc to 40 in pro zero and lowering the sensitivity a little bit. Your going to get these types of iron ringing up in the higher tones at times though. If it's a large piece of iron you can lift your coil off the ground 4-6 inches and if it still rings up and is not on the surface you can be pretty sure it is a larger deep object. Everyone has the same problem, it's just that most do not talk about it. Good luck!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Also try turning 90 degrees and sweeping it again from that angle. Coins usually stay the same but nails a decent amount of times change or become iffy signals.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not be offended by this but I assume you are checking the target hole thoroughly to confirm there is not a good target, ie coin next to the trash or even under it. The ATP is a great machine but as RobRieman says this will happen. Even my eTrac will sound off with a high tone on iron that's why the QuickMask and two tone ferrous features are so nice.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's part of it but I'll dig them till my arms are tired because I've found Indian head cents in same hole as square nail. I've dropped a dime on the ground in very heavy trash signal and would only pick up iron with a little high tone for split sec so if I hear that high tone blip it's coming out of ground in those old sites. It also helps clear it out for better signals. I've found Indians on surface after plow has been through. Love those old sites even though most are real trashy. I've dug ax heads, picks and other hand tools on some of those overload iron signals. I'll hunt a trashy old field anytime with the pro over a park where I'm mostly going to find clad and maybe a ring if I'm real lucky. I have 4 silver rings from fairgrounds this year already. No gold rings yet but just dug a gold earring clasp at old homesite couple days ago. The 5x8 is great. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

highlander1s

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re:5x8

Please do not be offended by this but I assume you are checking the target hole thoroughly to confirm there is not a good target, ie coin next to the trash or even under it. The ATP is a great machine but as RobRieman says this will happen. Even my eTrac will sound off with a high tone on iron that's why the QuickMask and two tone ferrous features are so nice.

Yep, rechecked the hole.....and turned 90 degrees....I'll try a few tweaks on the iron and sens adjustments and see what happens. Like I've read it takes a few hours to learn the machine. thanks for the tips

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also try turning 90 degrees and sweeping it again from that angle. Coins usually stay the same but nails a decent amount of times change or become iffy signals.

great post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread