HELP....Garrett Seahunter II problem!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have has my SH II for almost a year now. Since purchasing the machine, I just have not been able to achieve the depths that others reference. I have not been able to pickup targets over 6" deep in sand. This past weekend I noticed that the threshold seemed to be low even when I cranked it up. Also the threshold was intermittent instead of a constant sound. I decided to complete a thorough check of all connections and replace the 8 AA batteries. Well...imagine my horror when I attempted to turn it back on there was no sound...nothing. Took batteries back out and made sure I had them all in correctly...still no sound. Checked headphone connection and even connected my AT Pro headphones...still nothing. As SH II owners know, there should be 4 beeps when you turn on the machine with new batteries. Well she's as dead as a nit. Anybody experience this before? I guess it may be going back to Garrett and I'll be purchasing that CZ-21 sooner than I planned.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you try the old batteries again to make sure you didn't get a bad new one in the batch?

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try the old batteries again to make sure you didn't get a bad new one in the batch?

Yep tried that too. There's just nothing. I just returned from vacation but I'll be calling Garrett on Monday to see where we go next.

Thanks

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett will take care of you

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did you put the "battery barrel" in the right way so that the contact points line up inside OK?

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep us posted on what the problem was and how Garrett handled it. Hope it is just a loose wire.

Well I spoke to Garrett today and bottom line I have to send the control box and coil back to them in Texas. I am bit upset though that I was told I have to pay to ship it to them and then return to me as well. I reside in Canada and that is not going to be cheap. I purchased the unit in good faith and the unit is not even a year old and under warranty. Seems to me that Garrett should be absorbing the shipping costs. Any thoughts on this?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I spoke to Garrett today and bottom line I have to send the control box and coil back to them in Texas. I am bit upset though that I was told I have to pay to ship it to them and then return to me as well. I reside in Canada and that is not going to be cheap. I purchased the unit in good faith and the unit is not even a year old and under warranty. Seems to me that Garrett should be absorbing the shipping costs. Any thoughts on this?

I agree - had the same issue with my pro pointer. too expensive to ship so just bought new.
Want my SH2 serviced but very expensive to ship.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - had the same issue with my pro pointer. too expensive to ship so just bought new.
Want my SH2 serviced but very expensive to ship.

I am supposed to be receiving a callback from their "VP of International Sales". Nothing yet.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Anything new? I was thinking of getting one but now I'm not sure

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Anything new? I was thinking of getting one but now I'm not sure

It's been at Garrett for repairs since early this week. Still have not heard anything yet. Garrett did agree to cover the return shipping. Once I get it back I will be selling it to help finance my purchase of a CZ-21. The CZ is just a better machine for the type of hunting I do.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't have any problem selling it because it's a great water detector. I wouldn't mind having one but I mostly hunt rivers when water hunting so the at pro does just fine.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to update - I got the machine back yesterday. Repair slip says they had to resolder in the control box and repair battery compartment. Not sure what that means however the unit is now working again. Considering Garrett received the machine just last week, and it was returned to me here in Canada yesterday, I'd have to say that is great service. Oh and no charges for the repairs.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's garrett they are great to their customers after the sale. That's one of the main reasons I'm a garrett user and the at pro does a great job in my area. Good luck.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's garrett they are great to their customers after the sale. That's one of the main reasons I'm a garrett user and the at pro does a great job in my area. Good luck.

Thanks Kodiak...I'm anxious to get in the surf again it's been a few weeks and here on the East Coast the weather is already starting to change. I'll be out this weekend for sure.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kodiak...I'm anxious to get in the surf again it's been a few weeks and here on the East Coast the weather is already starting to change. I'll be out this weekend for sure.
good luck

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I met someone a few years ago that was cussing a new detector and how it was a POS after chancing the batteries it wouldn't work . After checking it for him it turned out to be a customer ID 10 T problem. He installed the batteries backwards.

ID 10 T =(ID10T)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread