Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If the MD shaft is telescopic and you tape the cable it will be a pain when and if you need to collapse it.Same as wrapping the cable tight when the shaft is extended,you'll be able to collapse it but will become a pain when you go to extend it.Just wrap the cable loosely around the shaft,but not so loose that it will caught by stuff.trial and error will fix you up to what suits you.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the ergonomics of wrapping and storage. And I agree, coiled is better.

But I was referring to accuracy/chatter with respect straight vs wrapped cables.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand the ergonomics of wrapping and storage. And I agree, coiled is better.

But I was referring to accuracy/chatter with respect straight vs wrapped cables.
I found no difference in chatter or accuracy with wrapped or straight.. I guess it is all in your head what one thinks is better.. My self i like the wrap better …. And i am the type that would never put tape on my detector … i try to keep my detector as new looking as i can …

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try it both ways and form your own opinion and then do what you feel is best for you.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called Garrett...
CS said to bring coil cable from the left over the shaft and wrap it clockwise to the control box, just tight enough to make the connection with just a little slack.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Called Garrett...
CS said to bring coil cable from the left over the shaft and wrap it clockwise to the control box, just tight enough to make the connection with just a little slack.

Just curious, did they tell you WHY you should do that?

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They said that the cable will not get picked up by the coil in that manner. The straight up a foot then coil method falls along the same thinking but isn't necessary.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got my wire taped about three inches from the coil on my AT pro. When I first started using it in the water it falsed like crazy with the wire just wrapped. I thought something was wrong with the detector and was about to send it to Garrett. I tried the tape after someone suggested it might be picking up the wire because the water moved it while swinging. It was like I had a new machine, I couldn't believe it made that much difference. Ran rock solid with no falsing in freshwater.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might just do the same... to be in the safe side. I have some velcro wraps somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread