Shipping Cost Responsibility - Repairs

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you are aware, I now have an issue with my Garrett Sea Hunter II(see below thread for details). Well today I spoke to a Garrett rep in Texas and bottom line is I have to send the control box and the coil back to Garrett for assessment and repairs. I am ok with this however when I was told I would be responsible for the costs to ship the unit to and from Garrett I was a bit perturbed. I purchased this machine less than a year ago in good faith and if it is not working properly it seems to me that Garrett should be paying these costs. I reside on the Atlantic Coast of Canada and not sure what the shipping costs are but I can guess it won't be cheap. I own a number of different brand machines and this is the first time I have had to send one back for repairs. Question - Is it normal for have to pay for shipping costs on units still under warranty?

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my understanding they pay return shipping.?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They paid return on mine when battery door cracked and it was my fault but fixed it for free. They put new housing on it. They are a great company. Go through some of the other brands threads and see the nightmare they go through for warranty. Garrett has the best customer service in business in my opinion.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They paid return on mine when battery door cracked and it was my fault but fixed it for free. They put new housing on it. They are a great company. Go through some of the other brands threads and see the nightmare they go through for warranty. Garrett has the best customer service in business in my opinion.

That's what one would expect. I pay to ship it there and they pay to ship it back, but not me paying both ways. I am going to contact them again.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've paid companies both ways, one way and nothing at all. I think it has to do with the person you get on the other end of the phone. Sometimes you get lucky.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe because it's international I don't know but send to them and then call them in a couple days after they receive it and ask them if they are paying to ship back. Is bet it around $30 to ship one way.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you are aware, I now have an issue with my Garrett Sea Hunter II(see below thread for details). Well today I spoke to a Garrett rep in Texas and bottom line is I have to send the control box and the coil back to Garrett for assessment and repairs. I am ok with this however when I was told I would be responsible for the costs to ship the unit to and from Garrett I was a bit perturbed. I purchased this machine less than a year ago in good faith and if it is not working properly it seems to me that Garrett should be paying these costs. I reside on the Atlantic Coast of Canada and not sure what the shipping costs are but I can guess it won't be cheap. I own a number of different brand machines and this is the first time I have had to send one back for repairs. Question - Is it normal for have to pay for shipping costs on units still under warranty?
I am with you on this I owned my ATP 3 months and had to pay to send it back. It is BS and ridiculous and it's why I am not one of the people who rants and raves about Garrett's great customer service. Not only are you without a new machine for 10 days they add insult to injury by making you pay postage!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. I had a Propointer and I had to pay return one way.

I have a Minelab in for repair, but it is due from wear and tear on my part. I received an email today that I might have to pay the return shipping. I can understand if it is my fault, but not on the Propointer becuase I had problems from the start with it.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within first 90 days garrett will pay shipping both ways. After that you pay to ship to them. After 2 years you pay shipping both ways. Garrett unlike most others will fix something that was totally your fault while under warranty. They do go out of their way to make customer happy. But as it has been said you can't make everyone happy. I am pleased with their customer service and will alway praise them as long as they continue the way they are. I guess I'm use to other companies that could care less after the sale. Call them with questions and they will give you an answer. They return calls and emails. If you read the warranty it says after 90 days you pay to ship to them. I know you are saying you have to pay shipping both ways but you do live outside United States correct? Did you buy it local or from internet? If you bought it local take it back to where you got it. Any reputable company will take care of you to keep your business. Good luck.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within first 90 days garrett will pay shipping both ways. After that you pay to ship to them. After 2 years you pay shipping both ways. Garrett unlike most others will fix something that was totally your fault while under warranty. They do go out of their way to make customer happy. But as it has been said you can't make everyone happy. I am pleased with their customer service and will alway praise them as long as they continue the way they are. I guess I'm use to other companies that could care less after the sale. Call them with questions and they will give you an answer. They return calls and emails. If you read the warranty it says after 90 days you pay to ship to them. I know you are saying you have to pay shipping both ways but you do live outside United States correct? Did you buy it local or from internet? If you bought it local take it back to where you got it. Any reputable company will take care of you to keep your business. Good luck.

Kodiak it has not even been one year yet. In addition, I was told 3 days ago that I would be getting a call from their "VP of International Sales" regarding this issue and still nothing. I agree that Garrett does go out of their way to service their customers as I had issues with my AT Pro battery holder that I dropped and it broke. They sent me 2 replacement holders within a week no questions asked. For some reason though, they seem to have dropped the ball on this one.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call them again. They have always been good to me but I've never delt with international so can't comment there. Keep us updated please.

OP
OP
madforclad

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received an email from Garrett and they have agreed to cover the return shipping cost.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received an email from Garrett and they have agreed to cover the return shipping cost.
thats good glad they are taking care of you. Their turnaround on fixing and getting detector back to you is very fast. Good luck.

Dtschuler

May 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha and Delta, Garrett At Pro, Garrett pro pointer.
Garrett has the best customer service. Sent them a picture of my broken headphones and they said the new ones are on there way. It's nice you can do business through email.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I've paid companies both ways, one way and nothing at all. I think it has to do with the person you get on the other end of the phone. Sometimes you get lucky.
I never had problems with Garrett except one time … I got a woman with a accent and i could not get her to under stand what i needed so i hung up and called back the next day and got some other lady and she took care of the problem and got me to the right person …. So it is the person you talk to…..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread