Effect of Discrimanation ??

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I'm going to do a side yard with LOTS of trash// nails,aluminum, etc.
I ran a bit with Pro-zero-sens-1—NO disc-NO-Notch out//

Beepity-Bep-Beepity-Bep-continuous noise //

I then set up with Pro-zero –iron Disc at 40—notch out 40-50, 60-75, 85-99
I can determine ABSOLUTLY no less noise //// What is the use of Disc if it does not reduce the chatter ???? Perry

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the only thing you left in is aluminum trash ranges, you went to a aluminum trash heap & you are wondering what's wrong? That about sum it up?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perry are you looking ffor gold? If so the trash is going to read the same.....if not disc everything below 70 orr 75......this will leave most coins and silver.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with fella. Learn the at pro and use the 5x8. I actually like it when I get to a site that's really noisy because I know a lot of guys passed this area up because there was to much trash. Don't notch anything and only use a little iron disc just enough to get nails to pop and crackle a bit. Just my opinion and just trying to help you. The noise doesn't bother me and I've got a lot of Indian head cents to show for my trouble in old iron infested sites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I desc. out 0-40 that's most iron notch out 40-50 junk, I leave 51-59 nickels- out 60-75 and leave in 76-84 cents,dimes,Quarters Why do you say I only leave Al. ?? In this case only looking for coins. I use the 5x8 coil and have been running the ATP for 3 years
The question I ask and no one answers is what good does notching out and iron desc, if it does NOT change anything ?? Perry

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I desc. out 0-40 that's most iron notch out 40-50 junk, I leave 51-59 nickels- out 60-75 and leave in 76-84 cents,dimes,Quarters Why do you say I only leave Al. ?? In this case only looking for coins. I use the 5x8 coil and have been running the ATP for 3 years The question I ask and no one answers is what good does notching out and iron desc, if it does NOT change anything ?? Perry
i think what fella was trying to tell you is that aluminum will ring up in the areas with the coins. So if you are in that side yard and it's noisy with alum trash and you notch out what you said then you will still get that noise. Now if iron grunt is still coming through and you have it disc out and first 2 notched up to nickel u shouldn't get the low iron grunt and may want to call Garrett.

OP
OP
perry2

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again// when I here the Beep-beep and look at the meter its showing 14 or24 or 62 all notched out which seems to mean notching does nothing ??? Perry

last year I was asked to find an gold ear ring --I ran over the other one and notched out all but the signal 57-58 found it but still got all kinds of beeps ///// perry If I notch something out I want it to not sound off ///

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's disc'd out you shouldn't hear those ranges. (some may bleed through if #'s are close)

Are you sure your Iron Audio is off? This will only affect <40 but you will hear 0-40 if it's on. If your IA is off and you are still getting those tones, you may have a issue with a coil or the unit itself. If you have a different coil, try that. If not, call Garrett and talk to a Tech.

*edit*
Aluminum trash likes to be ALL over the spectrum. Even with a lot of disc, if you're in a can slaw mine field, it can still be a pita!

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well 14 and 26 shouldn't beep beep unless you have iron disc out and iron audio on which would then give you a mid tone beep on iron and notching out something doesn't mean a piece of metal won't bleed through if it is in both ranges meaning what you notched out and what you didn't. I can see your getting aggravated but I'm just trying to help you out. If that's not the case then a call to Garrett is next thing I would do. I can run my pro quiet if I want but I don't hunt that way because I'm after any good repeatable tone. Even though it's noisy you can here the good tones in the trash. When it come to aluminum there isn't much you can do because it a great conductor and will ring in as a good target. I don't care what machine you own it's going to sound good. If it's a big aluminum target lifting coil above ground and still getting a good sound at 12" give it away as a can or something big. Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread