Change in Metal Detectors

Avan

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks

Joined the forum a small time ago and trying to get a handle on this new technology..........

Last time I detected was on or about 1983 with my Whites 4900, no gold but a lot of coins.......:laughing7:

Getting back into it I was planning on purchasing the Whites V3i ---------------HOWEVER !!!!!!!! Due to some push back from my financial advisor, the cost was way to much..........

So :icon_scratch: Been looking at the AT Pro as an alternative since it's almost half the price.

I do still own my Whites 4900, used it for about a year in 83, its still in nice shape ......................

After reading on various forums about the AT Pro I have seen where some peeps have had to send them back for repairs etc............

so my 1st question is?

Just how good is the durability of these units................ I'd hate to get one of these units and have to send it back for some no-sense that should have been taken care of my the manufacture, however I realize if its my fault I would have to eat any cost and down time.

Second question: Not sure my Whites 4900 (Blue Box) for prospecting is worth anything let alone trying to trade it in the AT Pro

Any insight would be most helpful as I am just getting back into the SWING ! of things..................

By the way this new technology ? It is amazing how far we have come in this field..........

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the at pro and get the 5x8 coil for it and you will be happy once you learn the machine. The iron audio is nice but running it wide open in a trashy site and listen for the good tones will yield you a lot of great finds that some other detectors will not find. Durability is great. I take mine in river and dunk it a lot. Only issue I've had was my fault and Garrett fixed it for free all I paid was shipping one way. Good luck on your choice and glad to have you back in the hobby.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to the hobby!

The Garrett AT Pro is very durable, but with any product that is used outdoors, a percentage of them will fail at some point. Garrett and Whites have great warranties. As Kodiak43351 said, the 5X8 is a popular coil for the AT Pro. Garrett had a Spring Special that includes both coils, both coil covers, a belted pouch and a Garrett 50th Anniversary cap. We still have a few of those left as a great forum special.

The Whites 4900 is an older machine, you might do better selling it on craigslist locally versus trading it in.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^^^^^ buy from this guy he is a great seller and service after sale is awesome.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP is a good machine. Any machine no matter what the cost and reputation can fail. Personally I have dropped mine many times and submerged it plenty without incident.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The early ATpro's had a few bugs. But the new ones are as tough as detectors get. Mine has been abused by me, my wife and my son with no problems. And you will love it......cant be beat for the price. Mine paid for itself in less than a year. Found my first plate with mine after owning it about a month...a week later i found my second...and so on, and so on.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
first snow hill.jpg

The AT Pro should serve you well. It works in the water, snow, rain and fog. The audio is awesome!

Below is a link to my first year using the AT Series:

Last edited:

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just my opinion but I've owned alot of detectors, when i hunt i prefer the tesoro tejon. Good luck with whatever your comfortable with that's what it all comes down to.

Oh and if you buy any detector, BUY FROM THE VENDORS HERE. Best prices around, and they cannot be beat. Good luck!

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought mine in March, coil went bad in May, Just sent it in last week...they put a new board in it. Garrett has been great to work with under warranty and given me no problems but honestly I'm on the fence about reliability. My serial number is a early 2014 built model so its not one of the older ones. I treat it like nitro glycerin when handling it so I'm sure its nothing I've done. Maybe I just got a problem child because most people don't seem to have problems. Hopefully I won't have any either after I get it back this time.

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beat the snot out of mine and don't clean it very well. I've been pushing through heavily wooded with a lot of underbrush, sticker bushes, vines, and other junk that will grab the unit and smack it and really haven't had much trouble at all. I really like the screw in headphones as junk I've walked through has grabbed the cord and pulled them off my head a number of times (and the headphones block the blow of the next branch a bit...).

After beating on it for a year and a half the only issue I've had was that one side of the upper cuff snapped (stress fracture). I must have accedently dropped it four or five times, fallen with it three or four times, and it finally gave out. Funny part was I was in an open field at the time (and not wacking it against trees and rocks). Of course Garrett had a new one to me in about five days. Cost.... $0. Amazing how hard it is to use the machine with only 1/2 a cuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread