UPDATE to NEL coil for the AT Pro

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an update to my evaluation for the Nel attack coil for the AT Pro.I posted an evaluation after a couple of hunts but this is my evaluation after a week of hunts.........Overall all i thought it did very,and just to be clear i did only a few minutes of dry sand detecting and the reason is this was at myrtle beach which is overpopulated with high rise condos and beach front homes.The EMI was terrible in the dry sand next to all these bulidings,but near the water i seemed to be able to get away from it.Another reason is the nel coil seemed very sensitive to changes in the sand and i just didnt want to try and balance it to the dry sand as it took me a couple of hunts to tweak the balance to the wet sand,which by the way for my machine and that beach 9 and 10 on ground balance seemed to work better than anything else.Now...First here is the bad......Iron audio just didnt work at all with this coil and conditions.I first stated i wasnt getting any depth but that that was before i tweaked GB.I actually dug a dime at bout 6 inches and bottle caps and quarters at around 8 inches,but the bad is sometimes bottle caps would give me high tones with no or very little iron audio and coins would sometimes give me some iron audio.VDI was somewhat helpful but didnt get any soild readings so audio was my best bet.The most successful vdi was pull tabs(modern) which were mostly a repeatable 53 to 55 (had to dig because afraid i would miss gold lol)Another issue is this beach is littered with pieces of iron which were basically the size of coins and sometimes didnt give an iron signal or very little,and yes i was moving around and checking from targets from different angles....Now i have basically given the good points but heres a run down...Dug dimes at 6 inches and dug quarters and bottle caps at 8 inches.I detected almost exclusivly saturated sand and and ran full sense 99 % of the time with very little chatter.There was some falsing during swings but targets would hit hard and deep targets would have a different tone than the falsing u just had to listen...but not look at vdi....PS...a couple more bad points...The coil is heavy but i bought a detecting buddy strap and once i got it adjusted right i was able to swing for hours also in the water as i stated before that coil is large and bouyant so very tough to use there and the coil is very sensitive so if u scraped the sand or a shell it would false.Now the worse of all the bad points...The only jewlery i found all week was three copper bangle bracelets ..LOL...But i feel confident that if i had swung over a ring i would have dug it......So over all this coil has a thumbs up for me....sorry so long but to be fair i had to touch on all points.....Thanks Barry

OP
OP
B

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS...pinpointing was pretty tough as the pinpointing button was pretty much useless,but i was starting to get the hang of it it ,it is pretty much anywhere along the center of the coil from top to bottom,sometimes it would give its highest tone in the very center of coil,but not often...Im sure i left a lot out so if anyone has a question just ask and hopefully will jog my memory...LOL....Barry

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love mine but only hunt on dry land... Old houses mainly. As for pinpointing...the best way i have found so far is to find it left to right then turn and and go slowly at the new angle and when it first beeps thats it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread