Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeremy S's Pull Tab:Nickel:Gold Ratio Experiment Log

Just for fun I have decided to keep a running ratio of pull tabs to nickels to gold, which means digging just about everything in the 48 - 70 range besides good repeatable targets and coins. Some of the parks nearby that I hunt date back a century but are loaded with trash that is so thick in areas that even my 5x8 DD coil has trouble separating the targets. I am not counting finds from the beach/underwater, only on land and in parks.

These parks are still commonly used for concerts, events, and various sports so fresh items are dropped year round. I have pulled gold and various rings from them in the past so I know the potential is there.

I started this madness in late June.

Totals as of 10/6:

Pull Tabs: 560
Nickels: 127
Gold: 1

Gold found! 10/6

2014-10-06 18.53.04.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-08-03 10.46.55.jpg
    2014-08-03 10.46.55.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 517
  • 2014-07-31 21.10.23.jpg
    2014-07-31 21.10.23.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the odds get better every day you pull out for trash. No?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ratio is at least 1000:1. I'm not by any beaches which are the gold magnets. Good luck in your quest and don't get discouraged!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on the hunt for that elusive gold also. I wish I got paid to dig pull tabs because I'd be a rich man. I see guys detecting at fairgrounds and park and moving pretty fast obviously passing up those signals and only looking for coins. I dig a lot and yes most are pull tabs and beaver tails. I also get clad and silver. I did find a 14k piece a week ago that I posted and it rang in about where a beaver tail does that isn't smashed into a ball. Good luck on your test and hope you find a big chunky gold ring.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good thing you didn't add anything Above 70 silver range And Those DARN Bottle caps

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
gold.jpg

It's all about location, location and location. The ratios will be drastically changed when hunting in water vs. parks vs. sports fields and playgrounds. And, if you disc out where pulltabs generally read, you lose gold and nickels.

And thanks for putting all the time to show your ratios. Much appreciated.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all about location, location and location. The ratios will be drastically changed when hunting in water vs. parks vs. sports fields and playgrounds. And, if you disc out where pulltabs generally read, you lose gold and nickels.

And thanks for putting all the time to show your ratios. Much appreciated.:icon_thumleft:

Cool picture!

The parks that I hunt all contain sports fields and playgrounds. Some of the baseball fields have a higher concentration of pull tabs than the picnic areas. Judging by the number of tab signals and nickels that I find, I believe that a lot of other guys cherry pick for clad and move on meaning that they might have missed the gold. I'll still dig those high tones as well, don't want to miss silver!

This will be a fun reason to hit the parks more when I am in between 'good sites' to hunt :hello2:

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just added 50 more tabs to the count. Hunted an extremely trashy baseball field last night. I had previously hunted it and cherry picked for clad, but this time I went after just about everything for about 2 hours.

Still no gold!

2014-08-05 20.55.11.jpg

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far my ratio is approximately 49,235/0 . :BangHead: No gold for me yet this summer . I have been hitting a couple of parks pretty hard the last couple of weeks and digging everything in the gold range . So far nada, zipp , zilch , no gold. But have figured out on my AT Pro if it is a solid constant 52-53 from two directions 99 times out of a 100 its a nickel . Btw I haven't dug quite that my tabs and junk but it sure feels like it.

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted a construction site in an old part of town yesterday. Found a 1901 V nickel, 3 wheat pennies from the 1940s, a junk plated ring, and 17 more tabs.

Still no gold, but I feel that I am getting closer!

The ground was very rough and hard to detect, but my 5x8 coil did a great job of pulling out these finds from the many iron signals that the area was saturated with. In some areas if I just laid my Pro-Pointer on the ground it would go crazy due to the iron.

2014-08-06 21.38.01.jpg 2014-08-06 19.16.24.jpg

Last edited:

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to let you know that I am very interested in your results. I have often wondered what the ratio is. I sold a detector to a guy a long time ago and the first place he headed to was a park that was loaded with pull tabs. I warned him about how tough it would be there and he came back with a gold wedding band. He came by the very next day and said he was going back there. I had to warn him again to not get discouraged because it was very unusual to find a gold ring the first trip out for anybody. He came back a little while later with another gold band and I just about died. I had hunted that park lots of times and got frustrated with all the pull tabs and tuned them out. Keep up the good work and don't give up like I did.
DANGLANGLEY

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to let you know that I am very interested in your results. I have often wondered what the ratio is. I sold a detector to a guy a long time ago and the first place he headed to was a park that was loaded with pull tabs. I warned him about how tough it would be there and he came back with a gold wedding band. He came by the very next day and said he was going back there. I had to warn him again to not get discouraged because it was very unusual to find a gold ring the first trip out for anybody. He came back a little while later with another gold band and I just about died. I had hunted that park lots of times and got frustrated with all the pull tabs and tuned them out. Keep up the good work and don't give up like I did. DANGLANGLEY

Unfortunately no two people will ever have the same ratio so you will never know what the ratio is! But you will know his ratio. :) It's all about location, the water gets the bulk of the gold.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately no two people will ever have the same ratio so you will never know what the ratio is! But you will know his ratio. :) It's all about location, the water gets the bulk of the gold.

That's very true but it will be fun to watch.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Mentioned about...Location is Key....I used to have a awesome spot that I my ratio was more Gold and Nickels than Pulltabs, it was a public pool in a good part of town....Keep at it!

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Like! now that's a true treasure hunt!

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went on a sweltering two hour hunt today that yielded a lot of clad change, including a 1961 Canadian Nickel, a 1967 German 2 Pfenning, a small data plate from something, and some other junk metal trinkets. The Canadian 5c piece came up as a high tone, I actually thought that it was silver the way it sounded at first. Reading online shows it at 99% nickel.

I added 13 tabs and 5 nickels to the count, still no gold!

2014-08-10 12.49.14.jpg 2014-08-10 11.58.29.jpg 2014-08-10 12.01.41.jpg

garviso8

Aug 10, 2014
hialeah fl
Detector(s) used
minelab safari/cz-21 /bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found my first gold ring by mistake, mostly a silver coin hunter at first but one day i thought I was digging an easy nickel and out popped a 14k white gold ring at 7.2 grams and I was hooked since than I cant pass up a low tone but the junk to treasure ratio is ridiculous in the local parks and its turning my outings into a chore, sometimes you have to stick to your objective

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
found my first gold ring by mistake, mostly a silver coin hunter at first but one day i thought I was digging an easy nickel and out popped a 14k white gold ring at 7.2 grams and I was hooked since than I cant pass up a low tone but the junk to treasure ratio is ridiculous in the local parks and its turning my outings into a chore, sometimes you have to stick to your objective

I have previously found two gold rings at the park I hunted on Sunday. I have another honey hole park that I have pulled gold and silver from last year that I plan to hunt later this week. Since school is starting back up there are less people hanging around the parks which makes hunting nicer.

OP
OP
Jeremy S

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped by the construction site in an old part of town again today for two hours. I re-hunted some of the ground that I covered last time and some new areas that had been just graded with the top 6 or so inches of top soil scraped off. The grading stirred up all kind of new finds. I found some clad and memorial pennies that I missed last time but also found some cool things that include a horseshoe, a very nice 1906 Indian Head Penny, a 1965 German 2 Pfenning, and a metal shark (in honor of shark week). Also found a couple of lead seals from an electric meter tag.

I have never found a German Pfenning coin, and in the last three days I have found two at least 10 miles apart. I also dug 26 more pull tabs to bring my total to 332. I would have expected that this construction site would have produces some silver coins but those may have been cherry pick many years ago.

2014-08-12 21.32.14.jpg 2014-08-12 21.32.23.jpg 2014-08-12 21.32.18.jpg

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Reading through this thread I have a newbie question.
Having a BH Quick Silver with VERY limited discrimination abilities I was sure some "middle range" more advance machines, like your AT Pro, are able to successfully discriminate metals bringing the tabs rate close to 0...Can't you just set AT Pro to "react" only to gold/silver?:)

Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread