Just a little food for thought on my AT PRO

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro and pro pointer returned from garrett today.
Pro pointer seems to have a new housing but same end cap retaining the original serial# works steady as a rock, no falsing, happy with that.
At pro...the jury is still out...
Still the same air test results...morgan silver dollar,flat,max depth 7inches at full sensitivity...pro zero 0 discrim...not happy with that.
Same 5x8 coil, the work order is hard to decipher but I think they put a new board in it?
Quick scan of the front yard picked up a few pennies none deeper than 4 inches, all read 8 inches on depth meter, not thrilled with that.
Hope to get out in the morning for a real field test.....

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The depth indicator only works in pinpoint mide... fyi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently toured the Garrett factory in Garland Texas. A senior salesman was explaining that when you are swinging the coil above a target the depth indicator is not accurate. It is not supposed to be used at this time. When you want to check the depth, you move the coil clear off to the side of the target, hold the coil 1" off the ground, then go back over the target holding down the pinpoint button. Keep the coil 1" off the ground all of the time during this process.This is when the depth indicator works. When you are holding down the button.
Too many people do not know this... I didn't either...Hope this helps...

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every little bit of intel helps, thank you.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point I just have to trust that garrett tuned it and it's working as it should.
Maybe it's in my head and maybe the only 3 silvers I've found with it since May being jumpy/sketchy signals is some kind of cosmic who knows what.
Went out this morning to a place I've hunted b4, dug all jumpy signals with any kind of high tone whisper...all iron, skunked...maybe I've cleaned the spot out...maybe.
Not impressed with the machine at this point. To be continued....

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently toured the Garrett factory in Garland Texas. A senior salesman was explaining that when you are swinging the coil above a target the depth indicator is not accurate. It is not supposed to be used at this time. When you want to check the depth, you move the coil clear off to the side of the target, hold the coil 1" off the ground, then go back over the target holding down the pinpoint button. Keep the coil 1" off the ground all of the time during this process.This is when the depth indicator works. When you are holding down the button.
Too many people do not know this... I didn't either...Hope this helps...

Jedi, I guess your right if the salesman at Garrett told you this but I just went and grabbed my manual and it doesn't say that in the manual. The only thing it says about the coin depth indicator is that if the target is larger than a coin then it may display shallower than the actual target depth and if its smaller than a coin then it may display deeper than the actual target depth. Not a big deal but they should mention that in the manual because its not in there. Cladgrabber, I hope its alright cause its not fun hunting with a detector you don't trust. I don't know if its the 5 x 8 coil giving you that air test or not but that's about what I was getting with the stock coil. Now I'm getting close to twelve on a quarter. Yesterday I dug a penny at about ten. Trust me, I was pretty miserable for a while and about ready to sell the AT Pro and just stick with my coinmaster pro because bottom line...the coinmaster was outperforming it. The coinmaster doesn't have the bells and whistles but it would see anything the AT Pro would see at just as good a depth or even better. And my coinmaster pro is solid as a rock with no chatter or erratic behavior. But now that Garrett got my machine right, its a joy to use. Good luck with it cladgrabber.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes this should be in the manual.... i have read it cover to cover 3 times and it does not speak to this.... :)

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know air tests aren't the most reliable but 6inches on a morgan silver dollar at full sensitivity is not good in my eyes.
My backup machine-ace 350 will bang on it hard at 10 inches just for reference.

OP
OP
D

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I know air tests aren't the most reliable but 6inches on a morgan silver dollar at full sensitivity is not good in my eyes.
My backup machine-ace 350 will bang on it hard at 10 inches just for reference.

I'm with ya bro. Even in the manual it tells you to perform bench tests. I've never really understood why people on here look down on them when they tell you right in the manual to perform them. And like you say...when a cheaper machine outperforms a more expensive machine on an air test...its kind of disheartening.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6" sounds like you have a problem for sure. It should bang like an aluminum can from at least 10". As far as the depth indication, anyone who has used an ATP for any length of time should recognize that the depth reading on the display is twice as deep as the pinpoint reading. They don't put that kinda info in the manuals. They make you miserable and let you figure it out for yourself. ;)

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a 2014 bought in May and sent it to garrett this week. Came back and still only 6" on a morgan in air test :/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread