at gold versus at pro

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Gold hits gold better than silver, but it still hits deep silver better than many machines. Where the AT Gold excels over the AT Pro is in the All Metal Mode. Here it will pick up small targets and the ground balance is better suited to work in mineralized ground. I think that is what you want. Of course it hits targets just fine in DISC 1 and 2 modes. The onm=e thing the AT Pro has over the AT Gold is the variable notch discrimination. That's going to work more in trashy parks--nugget hunting you don't want much discrimination if any. I hear a good sound and then take a glance at the target ID number to decide if I want to dig. I realize many people have the All Metal phobia, but the target ID acts as a discriminator.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I toured the Garrett factory today and ask the question what the difference between the gold vs. the pro were. It is just like the poster above said. The gold comes with the small 5x8 coil and the freq is set up for gold. The AT PRO is better for silver and works awesome in the pro mode...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I would suggest the AT Pro. It has better audio characteristics, notching abilities and can hunt in both salt water and fresh water. But the Gold would work well also.

24llueq.jpg

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't saving much money with the AT Pro because you have to buy the 5 x 8 coil. Yes, the AT Gold has some learning curve for the All Metal Mode but it's worth learning. There are other features like the Threshold control, the Ground Balance Window, etc. Read the free instruction manuals at the Garrett website.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy the AT PRO spring pack and you get both coils for less than the AT Gold...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread