AT Pro - Having trouble deciding between the 15" NEL Attack coil and the 4.5" sniper

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro - Having trouble deciding between the 15" NEL Attack coil and the 4.5" sniper

I have the stock 8x11 coil and I have the 5x8 (which I use most places)

I can see myself using the NEL coil for extra depth at some of my sites, and can see myself using the 4.5" sniper coil to find coins in the trashiest areas at my pounded parks.

Which one would you guys recommend I go with?

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have not found a site yet that was trashy enough to fool the 5" x 8" and I hunt some pretty trashy sites. I also find the depth on the 5" x 8" pretty good and it lightens the machine up so much over the stock coil that I never take the 5" x 8" off. That said, I have not used the sniper or the NEL. From what I have read, the big advantage of the sniper is it allows you to get real close to the metal posts etc.. in playgrounds. I do not hunt alot of tot lots, etc..so if it was me I would probably be going with the NEL. Just my opinion.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion but I would buy a sniper coil for any detector I had first before using a bigger coil, big coils are great for wide open clean area`s but they also see more ground minerals too so any gains from size might be tempered with the soil conditions you hunt in. The small coil on the other hand will allow you to get very close to chain link fences,barbed wire, fence posts, rebar under concrete walkways, separate out trashy areas containing iron and multiple targets.
I think allot more fun can be had with a sniper.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what you want. If you can do some serious digging (like with a shovel) a large coil can pull out good targets and definitely covers more ground. If you have to use a screw driver or whatever to dig with, you are going to get tired of digging. The sniper coil is for the trashy areas that many people do not work. If you like the trashy areas I think you would probably want the sniper. If you have a very good area with deep, old targets the larger coil should be able to pull out some silver. Both coils are going to be work.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy answer, if money is no object, get both of them - I have both. I use the sniper more than the NEL but I hunt more homes than fields. If you're looking for the best return on your coil, get the sniper, picking the goodies out of the trash will probably be a bigger pay off than maybe picking a deep large cent or a button out of a plowed field. The NEL is heavy, kills my elbow after an hour or two, it also is pretty much worthless in even semi-trashy areas, say targets within a foot of each other, it does work well in the fields.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note here on heavy coils. Shorten the shaft a couple notches and hold the handle at the top.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. I'm going to go with the sniper coil for right now and see how that helps me. I may or may not get the NEL coil later since I'm planning to get an Etrac next spring to use situationally alongside my AT Pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread