Anyone Modified the AT Pro to Tilt and/or Raise the Display?

BexarHunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start by saying I am a Garrett fan and only hope to improve an already great product, but I was wondering if anyone has modified their AT PRO to raise and tilt the display. Perhaps I don't see as well as I used to, but the display to me is too far down and hard to read. It would be better if the display was tilted back some and even better if raised an inch or two toward the user. Just wondering if any has done this.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem. A while back I removed the control box and installed washers on the display end so it would tilt it up when you look at it. Seemed like a good idea and it actually works but unfortunately when you go to remove the battery compartment, there is not enough room to slide it out all the way because it'll hit the shaft. So I just learned to live with tilting the detector up a little bit whenever I get a hit.

There are a few design flaws with the AT Pro but you have to admit it's a great detector! It has been for me anyway.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be short enough that I haven't noticed. :)

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke down and bought an Anderson Shaft for mine. It's straight and also tilts the control box/display a bit. I'm not a big fan of "S" curve shafts anyway.

OP
OP
B

BexarHunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your responses, even the wise guys! It's always nice to get a few "fun" comments!
Thanks to darmentle with his post above referring to the post by tcornel for his mod to the AT Pro shaft.
I also didn't know about the Anderson aftermarket shafts that are available. A little pricy, but like anything
else you get what you pay for. I'm going to try tcornel's idea before spending the $150 to $199 for the Anderson shaft though.

Here's the link again to tcornel's post:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/427746-pro-straight-shaft-setup.html

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my AT Pro last week and am already finding wrist and arm pain is an issue. I had the same problem with my older Garrett that uses the same type of S-curve shaft. After spending $600 on a detector, I am not ready to self-mod myself and risk voiding the warranty in case something ever breaks on the machine. I was going to get a pair of grey ghost headphones next but I am leaning towards the Anderson shaft. $200 for a shaft isnt cheap, but I know it will soon pay for itself with (hopefully) the many more finds that I am capable of if my arm doesnt quit after an hour of swingin'. I know for $50 less I can get an aluminum version, but if I am spending that kind of money, I might as well go for the carbon fiber. 40% lighter isnt much out of the total weight, but it's something and sure looks sleek!:hello:

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of trouble seeing my display for some reason also...Interesting thread.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find this post (dumb) so I posted my solution in a new post-- Perry

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i had my AT out this afternoon and i also have to tilt the AT forward to see all the screen .. But i have no idea how to fix that but to tilt it forward

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 55 years old.... Maybe you should start working out.... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread