Sold DFX300 and bought ATPro w/2 coils and ProPointer

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally made the decision to sell the DFX and go with a more versatile machine. Really interested in water hunting but the Whites was not suited for that. I also tend to hunt older establishments more and more so I wanted a faster target separation in those trashy areas. I hope I don't regret my decision. My next purchase in a few months is going to be a Deus to complement my arsenal.

I am now officially a Garrett owner after of 12 years of Whites. Still do like that Oregon company though.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the AT Pro. Except for the water, I think you downgraded. The DFX is more versatile than the Garrett because of the two frequencies. More accurate with target Id and need I say deeper. I hope your not disappointed and don't get rid of the DFX.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I guess I will find out. From what I can tell from reading and fellow users of the AT Pro the DFX does not have the target separation the Garrett has. I may be sacrificing depth but I am hoping the AT will outperform in those trashy iron infested areas. If not...I will have my water machine and a land machine (deus).

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Whites then Minelab. When I got the AT I went back to the areas i had searched and started pulling out silver. So if it is not as deep how do I get the silver? Naysayers want you to fail.

You need to learn how to use the double d coil. Too much sensitivity and surface targets are hard to pinpoint using regular methods. The toe/heel method works great in this situation.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ATpro will nail a 10 inch quarter all day long....and i have found A BUNCH of flat buttons and indian head pennies around cellar holes thhat other machines have missed because oof the nails and iron. Some people just have a bad taste of the early models....the newer ones are great and deep enough for most applicatiions. If you want the best seperation in the iron, put the 5x8 on the ATP.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And as for target ID .....it will id a coin right on the money down to about 7 inches then it starts to jump, but so does every other machine i have ever used or seen used! The numbers are actually more stable on my ATP than on my F75 90% of the time.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the AT Pro. Except for the water, I think you downgraded. The DFX is more versatile than the Garrett because of the two frequencies. More accurate with target Id and need I say deeper. I hope your not disappointed and don't get rid of the DFX.
come on sandman I know you had troubles with your early at pro but depth isn't going to help at all in trashy areas. The recovery speed of the pro in trashy locations is awesome and I have no problems hitting deep coins with stock and my favorite 5x8 coil. Learn the machine and give yourself time to adjust to the way Garrett's machines talk to you and you will be happy. I took my detector up to a beach on Sunday on Lake Erie and was hunting for a while in knee deep water with a cup because I forgot my scoop lol and a guy came up to me with his mine lab pi machine and we did some comparisons. We both were only getting junk jewelry and clad. But the at pro was spot on with the targets we compared. Sure he was prob picking up bobby pins at 10" with that pi but he was impressed with the pro. Since he had a scoop I waded out to chest deep water and he looked at me like I was nuts lol he wasn't aware the pro was water proof. I went up on dry land in the grass and was pulling wheats and a silver 61 Rosie and he said he doesn't even waist his time on land the pi is to sensitive. Anyway you have a good machine in the at pro

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand both sides. Heck, the original 300 mm coil on the dfx and other multiple frequency whites machines were plagued with issues. I my self had one originally and it sucked. Falsing and depth issues all around. I have done the research and found whites resolved the issues on their new line of coils. No hard feelings and I was impressed with the 300mm coil.
I understand all new technology when it is released to the public has issues. Garrett is no exception. But I feel they have it worked out and I am going to give it a try.

Last edited:

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said the AT PRO does not work. I have found silver with it, I am saying the DFX has lots of settings that can be done to help you find more targets than the AT PRO. I use every detector I have and find good things with all of them, it's just that I would not get sell the DFX to get the AT PRO.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said the AT PRO does not work. I have found silver with it, I am saying the DFX has lots of settings that can be done to help you find more targets than the AT PRO. I use every detector I have and find good things with all of them, it's just that I would not get sell the DFX to get the AT PRO.

We'll there is a method to the madness. Right now financially I couldn't just go out and get the atpro. So best for me to offload the DFX to finance the water/land machine. Then by the end of the year or the beginning of next I will get the Deus or I'm also looking at an Etrac.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This comparison is like most others.....I am sure both machines will do well in certain situations. Most would say the F75 ltd is a better machine than the ATP and maybe so; but i still use my ATP in some situations and feel it is better suited for those. There are alot of variables when deciding which machine is "better".

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This comparison is like most others.....I am sure both machines will do well in certain situations. Most would say the F75 ltd is a better machine than the ATP and maybe so; but i still use my ATP in some situations and feel it is better suited for those. There are alot of variables when deciding which machine is "better".

I agree digger. If I had the money I would have every high end detector from every company. They all get stuff the others miss and vice versa. I think all the top manufacturers do very well at designing machines and they all perform well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread