First silver half and a lesson learned

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I feel lucky, I have only been detecting a year and I have found my first silver half dollar. It came total by surprise because it was on edge and a very bouncing signal and vdi with iron grunts. I remembered reading on Tnet to dig these iffy deep signals and this one was 8 inches deep. So I dug it and couldn't believe it was a silver half dollar. After filling the hole I check it with the coil and heard only the iron grunt. Lesson learned, dig all iffy deep signals. Thank you for all the great posts on Tnet. Steve

ForumRunner_20140827_185202.png

ForumRunner_20140827_185320.png

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beauty Steve! Congrats my friend, that's one on my buckle list still.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel lucky, I have only been detecting a year and I have found my first silver half dollar./>

Nice find! Good Lesson too. What detector/coil did you find it with and what ws the reading on the VDI?

1934 Walking Liberty Half Dollar - 6,964,000 in circulation - VG condition = $14.00 XF condition = $17.60

Worth to you = PRICELESS - it's your FIRST!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I was using the At pro in pro zero mode with zero disc and the 5x8 coil. The vdi was bouncing all around between 65 to 90. After I recovered the coin, I put it flat on the ground and check it and it was a sweet 90-91. Then I stood it on edge again and it was pretty bouncy but no iron grunts. Funny thing is that the day before I was though the exact same stretch of ground with the 8.5x11 coil and didn't even give it a second thought. The site is pretty trashy that is why I went back over the ground with the smaller coil.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find still searching for my first half also.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great detailed description on the signal and congrats on that beautiful silver!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a silver quarter that was much like your half. Deep iffy signal. Iron audio grunted when I turned it on.

The quarter was standing vertically in the ground and surrounded by iron.

Silver has been cherry picked and hunted hard for many decades now. Much of the stuff that is left is going to be a deep iffy signal and most others skip over expecting them to be a smashed coke can or other garbage.

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, and thanks for reminding to dig, dig, dig lol.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I dig them all too but didn't have the Metal Detector Gods haven't smiled on me yet; all mine have been trash. But I do believe what my father always said "Some days even a blind squirrel will find an acorn." So I'll keep digging.

OP
OP
S

steveo40

May 10, 2014
Keep diggin Badpenny, just keep diggin. You never know what your going the swing your coil next. The next day I went to the same area for 7 hours and got 2 memorials and one hell of a hand cramp plus a big pouch of trash. Even after a not so good day, I can't wait to go again.

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks great information. I used 5 x 8 coil today trashy area found wheat and more clad. We didn't stay long sun got to hot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread