AT Pro Vs. Fisher F2 is there even a comparison???? Im looking to upgrade

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Ok i thought id post this not sure if i posted it in the right spot or not. I used to swing a ace 250 but got rid of it didnt use it to long. Then a few years went by and i go ta fisher f2 ive found alot of clad, no silver coins and a couple silver rings but no gold. My cousin has a ace 250 and he found a couple silver coins. So now im thinking i just need to get a better detector?

I will get the package with the 5 x 8 coil as i seem to do better locating my targets with the smaller coils after finding them.

any thoughts or tips would be great. havent posted on here in awhile but i will be posting alot this year as im hooked on this hobby again and the last two summers ive been going out and doing hunting. also have a hunting partner now.

i live around alot of creeks, streams, rivers, and lake erie in ohio so that is another plus for the AT Pro.

thanks

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason your cousin found silver coins with his ace250 that you didn't with your f2 is his coil passed over them instead of yours, period.
The at pro is NOT the holy grail.

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the Ace 250 and the F2 are quality, capable entry level machines. But they are just that, entry level machines.

The AT Pro is quite a jump- the Pro modes and the audio associated with it, plus the ground balancing puts it in another level, with much more capability than the Ace or F2.

Sounds like you are doing your research - be sure to pick up the two coil special while you can if you order an AT Pro. It's quite the deal as compared to buying the items separately. Garrett AT Pro

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I would suggest the AT Pro.....extraordinary audio, nice depth and separation depending on coil and it is water proof. You can water hunt with it. The box is rated to a depth of 10 feet. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok i thought id post this not sure if i posted it in the right spot or not. I used to swing a ace 250 but got rid of it didnt use it to long. Then a few years went by and i go ta fisher f2 ive found alot of clad, no silver coins and a couple silver rings but no gold. My cousin has a ace 250 and he found a couple silver coins. So now im thinking i just need to get a better detector?

I will get the package with the 5 x 8 coil as i seem to do better locating my targets with the smaller coils after finding them.

any thoughts or tips would be great. havent posted on here in awhile but i will be posting alot this year as im hooked on this hobby again and the last two summers ive been going out and doing hunting. also have a hunting partner now.

i live around alot of creeks, streams, rivers, and lake erie in ohio so that is another plus for the AT Pro.

thanks

Best bang for the buck out is the Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies. Holler with questions and be sure to mention Tnet for your forums deal! ;)

OP
OP
C

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Cladgrabber, So are you against the AT Pro i see your using this metal detector. My question was more about how much better a detector or upgrade would the at pro be over the fisher f2 model that i currently hunt with. Ive been reading alot of good reviews by people who know how to use them and took the time to learn the machine. My cousin and me were actually doing the same area and it appeared to me i went over the same spot he did earlier that day and didnt get that hit, he got it deeper than what i feel the f2 goes. But it could be me the user, but i get alot of falsing with this f2. Its a Clad magnet i mean i find clad all the time but havfe only found 4 rings, one being gold plated junk, the other being a .925 silver and then two junk rings. Im not saying one is better than the other cause i havent used the At Pro. Im just trying to make a decision if its worth me jumping up to a better detector that can do more. And if i learn the machine will i see better results?
Im pretty much addicted to this hobby now. So upgrading cant be a bad thing. Just want to make sure i get the best machine for me and what i do.

I hunt parks, schools, tot lots, yards, anywhere along them lines. I have hunted a few farm houses but there was so much iron there my the f2 went nuts, but so did the ace 250. We have permission to hunt some fields here this year as well. And i got permission to hunt a house that is 114 years old. So Im looking to find my first silver coin and more jewlery.

thanks for any help

OP
OP
C

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hey Bart, can you Private message me the prices.

thanks

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like the ATpro better than the Fisher F75 ltd....not sayin it is the better machine, just like it better.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like the ATpro better than the Fisher F75 ltd....not sayin it is the better machine, just like it better.

Me too..so much so I just sold my F-75. Looking for something else now.

OP
OP
C

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
alot of the time all im hearing our good things about this detector. i know the show diggers helped make it popular but the people that have been doing this awhile and that are actually using it and know the machine say its a very good machine.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alot of the time all im hearing our good things about this detector. i know the show diggers helped make it popular but the people that have been doing this awhile and that are actually using it and know the machine say its a very good machine.

Sounds like you are convincing yourself.
Yes I do use the at pro, do I like it?....not so much at this point.
That's not saying you won't love it, to each his own.

OP
OP
C

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
i was just trying to get a few opinions on people who have used it and like it. I mean im just wanting to upgrade from the f2 so i think the atpro is a decent price for what you get. Plus were i live there is lots of water areas i could hunt. So im thinking about giving it a try.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let my unhappiness with the machine discourage you from a purchase. Just be aware there are some issues and some that don't hold it in such high regard.
My issue: dropped 7bills on the machine in May, sent it back for a check up last week,it came back, won't hit a morgan silver dollar on a bench/air test any further than 6". Can't imagine anyone would be happy with that.?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let my unhappiness with the machine discourage you from a purchase. Just be aware there are some issues and some that don't hold it in such high regard.
My issue: dropped 7bills on the machine in May, sent it back for a check up last week,it came back, won't hit a morgan silver dollar on a bench/air test any further than 6". Can't imagine anyone would be happy with that.?
No, i would not be happy with that either.....something is wrong there.

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP but I live at the beach and believe me when I tell you it does not like salt water beaches. I still am tweaking the setting and may get it working but for now dry sand and parks.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with an F2 and moved to an AT Pro

- AT Pro is much better in trashy areas, especially if you go with the 5x8 coil (which is a must imo)
- Being able to hunt freshwater is a huge plus (I live near you in Michigan and hunt rivers and lakes a lot)
- Depth meter is much more accurate
- Ground balance is a big plus
- Target ID is more accurate, but lately I've been digging basically anything non-ferrous anyway
- AT Pro definitely goes deeper than the F2
- I used to get cell phone interference with the F2 that I don't get with the AT

It's an all around upgrade and well worth the cost. I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The AT Pro is way better than Ace 250/Fisher F2. I got a 7" deep dime that IDed perfectly on every pass. Also IDs good on tilted coms. I can't think of any detector that would be better for your intended uses. Best wishes, George (MN)

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Whites machines exclusively for 12 years. I did in the beginning use a cheap Radio Shack model just to figure out if I was interested in dropping more than $900 into a hobby. All in all the Whites machines were top notch. Loved every single one of them I owned. Now my digging has taken me deeper into uncharted territory and water is on the list of places to hunt along with trashed colonial era property. My DFX was capable of getting me through trashy areas and I did once in awhile hunt shallow streams with it. I found many cool and valuable relics and coins with that machine. Cue the new ATPro I just purchased. Talk about being mad. I am so upset with this machine I could just spit. This new piece of technology is taking me back to areas now I thought I would never go back to. Why? Because the silly thing is finding all the stuff the DFX missed. I mean the target separation is amazing. I have literally pulled out large cents at a site that I've been over before with the DFX that had nails beside them. The machine goes every bit as deep at the Whites. I'm just finding more stuff now. It's incredible. Heck just last week I pulled out an 1888 IH and an 1864 two Cent coin at a site I pounded with the DFX. Do I regret having all those Whites machines? Absolutely not! The technology at the time was astounding. It's just now I have a very capable, powerful and simple to use machine that can kick some butt I love this machine. Best decision I've made in this hobby since I bought my DFX. Hey the pro pointer lays to shame the bullseye II I had. I guess comparing Yugos to BMW's is unfair.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions