Not enough objective comparisons

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was listening to a metal detecting podcast this morning and my ears perked up when I heard the host mention the AT Pro. But then he said something to the tune of "you go out and buy a low-to-midrange detector like the AT Pro and you're just not going to find what you'll find with the Minelab CTX 3030 or the White's V3i. I'm not knocking the Garrett, I'm just saying that it won't find what you'll find with a higher end machine."

So there's a couple of problems I have with this, and it's something I've been thinking about quite a bit. On the one hand you have the school of "you get what you pay for." If that's 100% true, then the host is correct, and the $1,000+ machines will find more than the ~$600 AT Pro. On the other hand, you have companies that (understandably) use well-known marketing strategies to increase their sales. As Apple has demonstrated over the past decade, if you can convince people that your product is "premium," (and in some cases it really is) you can build in a higher profit margin.

For me, the AT Pro makes sense because I like to go in the water as much as I like to land hunt, and the combination of waterproof versatility, fast recovery and Pro mode audio is unbeatable at $600. I just can't see another machine out there that offers that combination at that price. I personally am not looking for another machine and don't expect to for quite a while.

But when the time does come for me to reevaluate all the detectors on offer, there is one thing that would really make my life easier. That would be a truly objective comparison of detectors across the all price ranges and across the major manufacturers. It would probably take a dealer to do it (because they would have access to most of the machines at the same time), but wouldn't it be fantastic if someone built a test garden with various targets buried at one-inch intervals between 5 and 16 inches and created a big chart that showed how each machine responded to large, medium and small targets at different depths and different metallic compositions? We have some comparison charts, but they are usually comparing one coil to another, or just one detector to another single detector. To be a truly informed customer I need a broad all-things-being-equal comparison to help me decide how much money is worth investing in my detector and which manufacturer is the lucky winner of my business.

I know there are a million variables involved with detecting and there would be limitations to this testing, but this kind of objective comparison would allow consumers to make more rational decisions about how much to spend. It would answer the questions we all have about whether more money always means more detector. It would also push the manufacturers to make even better machines at more affordable price points without quite so much mystery about which machine is right for you. Of course, some companies may not want that: many businesses rely on customers making irrational decisions based on marketing instead of product performance, quality and value.

Just some musings. What do you think?

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CaballoDeOro,

I agree with you 100%. There is not one unbiased test or review on the internet or in print that I have been able to find. I can find a review on batteries that go into more detail than any ten metal detector reviews combined. It really is a crap shoot on the purchase. As a manufacturer I would welcome a standard to build to. Strange business metal detectors.

Mike

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but wouldn't it be fantastic if someone built a test garden with various targets buried at one-inch intervals between 5 and 16 inches

look @ user: DetectorComparisons on youtube

when you have learn tried/learned a 'better' machine, you will also see the added value relative to cost...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find me a review on anything that is not bias, if it was written by a human it will be bias in one way or another, these guys are usually pretty accurate.

MetalDetectorsReviews.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaballoDeOro

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look @ user: DetectorComparisons on youtube

I will take a look, thanks!

when you have learn tried/learned a 'better' machine, you will also see the added value relative to cost...

So it sounds like you're saying higher price = better detector. I notice you have both the AT (~$600) and the V3i (~$1,300). What objective benefits do I get over and above the AT Pro for spending $700 more? In terms of depth, recovery speed, VDI accuracy, etc.?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy with the detector I purchased. I wasn't happy with the others I had or tried. I know there are better detectors than what I use but if I'm finding great things and enjoying this great hobby with a detector that I love to use then why change? Only other detector I'm interested in now is the at gold because I love relic hunting and dig low conductors also. I don't cherry pick on old sites and dig a lot. The at pro does a great job in trashy sites with great recovery. I just want to add the at gold for the threshold based all metal and it's going to be a bit hotter and deeper on low conductors. If I was just out for silver coins and jewelry the pro fits the bill for me just fine. It gets great depth with the smaller coil also. Sometimes it's a Ford, Chevy and Dodge type thing and by the way I'm a Ford guy lol. Good luck everyone.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feel free to call me as we sell them all. I will ask you a few questions and give you a few to look into biased on that.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I TRULY BELIEVE DOING PROPER RESEARCH ON WHAT DETECTOR FITS YOU BEST IS THE KEY.

There are no bad detectors, or "best" detectors. They ALL (major brands) find buried metal reasonably well.

If you find one that fits your needs, and you are happy with it, THAT IS WHAT MATTERS, you won the game! All the "mine is better than yours", is just a bunch of ego stroking BS!

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I TRULY BELIEVE DOING PROPER RESEARCH ON WHAT DETECTOR FITS YOU BEST IS THE KEY.

There are no bad detectors, or "best" detectors. They ALL (major brands) find buried metal reasonably well.

If you find one that fits your needs, and you are happy with it, THAT IS WHAT MATTERS, you won the game! All the "mine is better than yours", is just a bunch of ego stroking BS!

Well said......and the best detector you can own is the one you have put many hours on and mastered to the point where you can tell the machine what is under the coil, not the other way around.

Depth should never be the only reason for buying a detector. If it is, then buy a PI, which will run circles around other machines.

OP
OP
CaballoDeOro

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I tend to agree, locater. And to what John said, I have no doubts that the most important factor is knowing how to use your machine. It was just the attitude of the podcast host got me thinking. The concept is prevalent all over. You see it here on the forums every day: He's using a $600 AT Pro and I'm using a $1,300 V3i. I'm going to find things that he's not because my detector is that much better. The only way to counter this idea and help consumers be truly informed is to have unbiased objective test information available that compares detectors on the same variables under the same conditions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As John said just knowing your detector is what matters. Consumer's Reports won't ever test metal detectors because there is to many variables. I've seen some units that were extremely hot where they could sound off on a coin 2 ft away. Another detector of the same brand and model could only get less than half that. Maybe a component was not to specifications or something was strange with the coil. We can always hope for real comparisons, but it can't happen. Like comparing human's, all of us have DNA, but some are weird to put it mildly....

Bart of Big Boys Hobbies is a good one to ask.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As John said just knowing your detector is what matters. Consumer's Reports won't ever test metal detectors because there is to many variables. I've seen some units that were extremely hot where they could sound off on a coin 2 ft away. Another detector of the same brand and model could only get less than half that. Maybe a component was not to specifications or something was strange with the coil. We can always hope for real comparisons, but it can't happen. Like comparing human's, all of us have DNA, but some are weird to put it mildly....

Bart of Big Boys Hobbies is a good one to ask.

Well said Sandman.

Its like , You can have a 500 HP Engine, Or a 200 HP engine...But its really all about who is being the wheel my freind.
I do think Etracs /3030s are great machines...and yes, they do go deeper..But they also have thier own things about them.

MY buddy runs an Etrac...sometimes he will call me over to see if i can even get a signal because his is reading 12"..and I dont get anything....at the same time, he will get a nice sweet tone, and call me over..and my ATP shows just Iron

He digs it up..and out pops a piece of Barb wire. There are alot of people that just dont like certain brands

I can knock any other brand, because I have only used Garretts. But I do plan on getting an Etrac next spring...I like the sounds it makes..lol

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nobody makes the "perfect" detector. If they did make such a thing, everyone would have already bought it and found all of the good stuff in the ground.

IMO, they all have their own pros and cons.They each have situations where they will excel over the competition, and situations will they will fall on their face. Ultimately it mostly comes down to experience and skill with a little bit of luck. This year I have found more and better finds than ever with my AT Pro. The past two years I spent learning the machine (and finding a lot of good stuff), and this year I started really swinging low and slow, and tweaking the settings/trying different coils. I have fun using it and that is all that matters to me. I'm really considering an ETrac or XP Deus as my next detector.. the CTX3030 looks pretty sweet but just a but $$$ over my budget.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A detector is kinda like a woman. They are all capable of having babies, it's just that some are more fun to practice with than others. ;)

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines are "perfect" for some conditions/areas where others have their areas where they are "perfect"....which is why i have several machines.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good thread, which I enjoyed reading. Thx!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I was listening to a metal detecting podcast this morning and my ears perked up when I heard the host mention the AT Pro. But then he said something to the tune of "you go out and buy a low-to-midrange detector like the AT Pro and you're just not going to find what you'll find with the Minelab CTX 3030 or the White's V3i. I'm not knocking the Garrett, I'm just saying that it won't find what you'll find with a higher end machine."

So there's a couple of problems I have with this, and it's something I've been thinking about quite a bit. On the one hand you have the school of "you get what you pay for." If that's 100% true, then the host is correct, and the $1,000+ machines will find more than the ~$600 AT Pro. On the other hand, you have companies that (understandably) use well-known marketing strategies to increase their sales. As Apple has demonstrated over the past decade, if you can convince people that your product is "premium," (and in some cases it really is) you can build in a higher profit margin.

For me, the AT Pro makes sense because I like to go in the water as much as I like to land hunt, and the combination of waterproof versatility, fast recovery and Pro mode audio is unbeatable at $600. I just can't see another machine out there that offers that combination at that price. I personally am not looking for another machine and don't expect to for quite a while.

But when the time does come for me to reevaluate all the detectors on offer, there is one thing that would really make my life easier. That would be a truly objective comparison of detectors across the all price ranges and across the major manufacturers. It would probably take a dealer to do it (because they would have access to most of the machines at the same time), but wouldn't it be fantastic if someone built a test garden with various targets buried at one-inch intervals between 5 and 16 inches and created a big chart that showed how each machine responded to large, medium and small targets at different depths and different metallic compositions? We have some comparison charts, but they are usually comparing one coil to another, or just one detector to another single detector. To be a truly informed customer I need a broad all-things-being-equal comparison to help me decide how much money is worth investing in my detector and which manufacturer is the lucky winner of my business.

I know there are a million variables involved with detecting and there would be limitations to this testing, but this kind of objective comparison would allow consumers to make more rational decisions about how much to spend. It would answer the questions we all have about whether more money always means more detector. It would also push the manufacturers to make even better machines at more affordable price points without quite so much mystery about which machine is right for you. Of course, some companies may not want that: many businesses rely on customers making irrational decisions based on marketing instead of product performance, quality and value.

I see you can make some good post's ..

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be a very interesting comparison to see even though others soil and hunting conditions would make a difference as you stated. The problem is that no dealer would do the study and point out that one brand of detector is absolutely better than another or they wouldn't be in the business long. I'm sure you could do the same with cars, but then their would only be one manufacture in business and that probably wouldn't work out either. Competition drives sales whether it's better or not.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
How long you been tectin? What's your favorite machine and why? That's what I think. Hey, spend less time listening to metal detecting podcasts and spend more time with a tecter in your hands, and a set of phones wrapped around your metal detecting noggin.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the owner manuals of many detectors till I found one that fit. I also have many types of hunts. I seen the same guy out hunt me twice now just because he never stopped swinging the whole time we hunted. While I feel I have more options he did better with a mid range detector. My regular hunting buddy has out done me several times and I have learned it was his approach to the hunt that helped him. There is a guy who owns a old Bounty Hunter with a lil round coil that will smoke you on his 3 tone machine. Think the thing had a analog readout too. Budget should be second as you can always save your clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions