Greenie
Sep 10, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, new to the forums and probably a highly discussed question.
I have had my ATP for about a year, I have this problem with ground balancing lately. Maybe its just dry ground, But, at my usual haunts, my machine GB's to 93-94. This make my target VDI's all messed up. I dug a Buffalo nickel at 88 last night. Indian head pennies ring up in the high 80's as well as pull tabs and aluminum parts. If I knock the GB down to the mid to upper 80's, I get VDI's where they should be, But I can't use the pinpointer. If I try to use it, I get the typical pinpoint sound all around the area and if I pull my coil off the ground, it goes nuts. So either I have to dig all the upper 80's signals and get garbage, or I can get normal VDI's and swing pinpoint the best I can. So, Is the machine roached or is this normal when the GB is so high?

Thanks in advance

~TF

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The ground conditions dictate gb number. The machine should be properly gb'd for best performance. Your machine needs a hospital visit, it could be a bad coil or brainbox, but certainly something is terribly wrong.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with gleaner.....something is wrong!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manually run the gb down to zero then gb and make sure there is absolutely no targets under the coil while doing so.
It's worth a try, I've noticed mine is more reluctant to go down in gb than it is up.
I also will suggest a factory reset since there was no mention of it.
Good Luck and if it persists don't hesitate to call garrett.

OP
OP
T

Terra Firma

Greenie
Sep 10, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reset it every time I go out. The one thing that makes me think that its the ground is that the guys that I hunt with have similar problems with their Minelab CTX's and Etrac's. Their VDI numbers are all wrong too. I don't know if they have the pp problem that I have though. To be more clear on the pin pointing, When I find a target and try to pin point with the ATP, it goes quiet But when I pull the coil straight up off the ground then I get the pp tone. Really odd. I finally have a free weekend coming up, Im going to try to hit a new destination and see what it does. Thanks for all the replies, if it doesn't get better this weekend, Garrett gets the call!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all the other brand detectors they are using are doing the same thing it has to be the location and not your detector. Is there bad EMI in the area?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If your ground is such that most targets develope an oxide coating on the surface, your VDI numbers will be out of wack. That would effect all metal detectors. Are you hunting with power lines above/beloe the ground? That too will cause issues. Try using a different operating frequency. You have 4....sometimes switching to a different frequency will fix your problem. Make sure all your connectors from the coil are dry and clean. Try a different coil and see if that corrects the problem. If all else fails...call Sue at 1 800 527 4011.

Good luck!

OP
OP
T

Terra Firma

Greenie
Sep 10, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 250
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your ground is such that most targets develope an oxide coating on the surface, your VDI numbers will be out of wack. That would effect all metal detectors. Are you hunting with power lines above/beloe the ground? That too will cause issues. Try using a different operating frequency. You have 4....sometimes switching to a different frequency will fix your problem. Make sure all your connectors from the coil are dry and clean. Try a different coil and see if that corrects the problem. If all else fails...call Sue at 1 800 527 4011.

Good luck!

Most pennies that come out, wheats or Indians are totally covered in green crust.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Most pennies that come out, wheats or Indians are totally covered in green crust.

That might be part of your problem. Just remember where those types of targets read at that location. I find in and around Edmonton, dug coins may read different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread