Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to ground balance on the dry, wet and in the water, as well as anytime you move from one to the other. Most salt ground balances between 0-20, so if the auto ground balance doesn't take you there, try that range. In the panhandle of Florida, it runs very quiet. In S Texas, it chatters a bit. You can turn the sensitivity down a little to help if it chatters. Good targets will still break through the chatter.

I always take a test coin in the water on noisy beaches. I use Pro mode ,Zero, 0-35 iron Discrimination with iron audio on at the beach.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone agrees that not all detectors work well in all locations. That being said, why does there seem to be such a following of AT Pro users at first and many used sales on Ebay and Craig's List? You said there are other detectors that were better suited to salt conditions so why aren't you using one? You should use your CZ-21 more.

I tend to get over zealous in what many call bashing when i think of it as trying to get people to read between the lines of detector advertisements..

There are better beach machines....but the atpro is a all purpose machine. Meaning it will work decent in most any situation from deep woods cellar holes to parks to beaches. And in my area whites machines and ace series machines are the norm on craigslist.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have one too! Found a lot of cool things in dry, wet sand and in chest deep salt water. It's interesting to see how different the machine behaves on certain beaches! Honestly, I know my ATP! Yes and of course there are better salt water machines out there, but the honest reason I bought mine is that it is an all terrain MD! Love how versatile it is! Look people, I have found a stinkin Lincoln at 12"! And thats no lie people! In dry sand a washington quarter at almost 14-15"! Dont believe me? Ask my grandpa. At first he said metal detectors didn't go any deep! LOL! Since obviously I found most of the clad coins basically very close to the surface! He said he wanted to help me dig the next target and there it was! Quarter at 14-15 inches! He was doubtful everytime he kept going deeper and deeper! Boy was I wrong and impressed when I found that quarter that deep he said!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was supposed to go detecting with a friend yesterday at an old house he got permission to hunt. He called and said he couldn't go because there was a steady drizzle of rain. He said he couldn't get his F75 wet. My favorite time to hunt land with my AT pro is in cloudy, rainy weather because its nice and cool. Summer is hot here in Florida.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are better beach machines....but the atpro is a all purpose machine. Meaning it will work decent in most any situation from deep woods cellar holes to parks to beaches. And in my area whites machines and ace series machines are the norm on craigslist.

Good post

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I used my AT Pro on the beach today, from the entrances to the water, with zero problems! I ground balanced once at the entrance and that's all it took!
I tried all the modes and had a blast! Coin mode started the coins poppin up and the smaller 5x8" coil helped pull coins right next to iron! I could her the iron scratch then a medium tone just before I hit the iron!
Watch these garrett videos and it will help! Garrett AT Pro Instructional Videos » Metal Detector Owners TV

Best of luck!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember Sandman, some how means well I believe, regardless how he comes across. The At Pro is a very versatile machine, I have loved mine, ( now that I have one thats not broken) and i use mine in locations 10 times more salty than any ocean beach you will hunt. The Great Salt lake gives it a fare share of issues, but drop off the coil cover, lower the sens, and watch were your going, the machine will read different in a foot of water compared to a few inches of salt water, pay attention to your surroundings and the machine will work great for you. What I'm getting at, is you will have many settings for the different water depth, dry and wet sand, and call me crazy but I still say temp has a hand in salt water settings too.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used my at pro at the beach back in july.....In the saturated sand i hand to manually GB to 9-11,but was able to run full sense with very little chatter...I was finding bobby pins 3-5 inches down and was finding quarters and bottle caps over six inches down....No its not the best saltwater machine....but u can make it work

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread