Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 14k, 4 gram Figaro style gold chain in freshwater...it read 42 and was a repeatable signal but not real loud.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are tricky, at least for me. Because they arent perfectly round, and sometimes can be streched out, they can read funny on machines. Ive dug 2 necklaces, but only becaue there was a charm. And I did dig a nice silver braclet once, and it was reading in the 60s

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If it sounds unusual, dig it! Some detectors will not even sound off on some chains. I know from experience that the AT Series, ACE Series and Garrett PI's will hit on gold or silver chains. Gold can be tricky, as it can read anywhere on the VDI depending on it's size, depth, what the gold is mixed with, it's purity and orientation to the coil. If you water hunt, dig it all. If you are hunting in places where gold rings are common, dig most signals. Silver, as a rule tends to read in the 80's to low 90's, depending on it's size and what oxidation has formed on the outside.

Good luck! He who digs the most, gets the most.

coins_and_jewelry_john_b.jpg

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are tricky, at least for me. Because they arent perfectly round, and sometimes can be streched out, they can read funny on machines. Ive dug 2 necklaces, but only becaue there was a charm. And I did dig a nice silver braclet once, and it was reading in the 60s

Good post!

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a big sterling bracelet, 1.6 ozs. , "taxco" Mexico, target ID said ninety something. Sorry I can't recall the exact ID number. HH!

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh hey, apology in order....I found that bracelet with AT Gold, not AT Pro.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 .925 silver bracelets earlier this year within 10 feet of each other. One was a constant high tone 62 VDI and the other was a bit jumpy from 58 to 65. The second one I almost did not dig because of the bouncing numbers and scratchy sound, however I am a sound hunter and something about that tone just said "dig me". So to answer your question they can be both a solid tone, solid VDI or scratchy tone and bouncing VDI. I like to move around the target completely to try to get that sound to clean up and the numbers to stabilize as much as possible.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 .925 silver bracelets earlier this year within 10 feet of each other. One was a constant high tone 62 VDI and the other was a bit jumpy from 58 to 65. The second one I almost did not dig because of the bouncing numbers and scratchy sound, however I am a sound hunter and something about that tone just said "dig me". So to answer your question they can be both a solid tone, solid VDI or scratchy tone and bouncing VDI. I like to move around the target completely to try to get that sound to clean up and the numbers to stabilize as much as possible.
I like to circle my targets too...it gives me more info, especially in trashy sites. Sometimes a coin will only give a solid signal from one little spot as you circle...the rest of the way around the circle it might be jumpy, read as iron or give no signal at all.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two silver chains and both came in around high 40s low 50s. I believe because of how they were in ground. Silver rings give a good high tone but from what I have noticed bracelets and chains give medium tones and VDI. When in doubt dig it.

Last edited:

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to circle my targets too...it gives me more info, especially in trashy sites. Sometimes a coin will only give a solid signal from one little spot as you circle...the rest of the way around the circle it might be jumpy, read as iron or give no signal at all.

That's why I like the 5 x 8 coil so much. You can hear that solid tone come through the trash and then work around to get it cleaned up.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Non round objects are hard for most detectors. Most of them are very broken signals!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread