How do you know when to dig an iron signal with the AT Pro?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using my ATP this season and still haven't really figured that one out. I've been hunting cellar holes the last couple of months and there is a LOT of iron. I'd like to dig up some of these nice iron relics but can't tell the difference between a nail and something else. I don't know what I'm listening for.

For the record, I usually hunt in pro mode with iron audio in the SUPER nail infested areas, and in the quieter areas I've been hunting in pro zero mode with no discrimination.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There really isn't a difference except for sizing the object. A chunk of iron rings up as rusty iron no matter what it is.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I know I dig up Iron objects all the time that read kinda good. I recently found a Horse shoe that was reading the high 60's

As for the little iron pieces, I normally don't dig unless it gives me a false signal...It sounds like you may want to do some sifting in those areas full of nails

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Try ground balancing the Pro over some iron nails and see what happens.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me either, but I'm definitely going to now!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the ax heads I've dug have been an iron overload signal. In those old areas you may as well dig some of that iron. It may be masking something good and you never know you may end up with some hand forged tools.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the ax heads I've dug have been an iron overload signal. In those old areas you may as well dig some of that iron. It may be masking something good and you never know you may end up with some hand forged tools.

Thats right....If im in areas that havent been populated much in the last 50+ Years....I dig anything and everything

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lol the reason I asked is because I can't dig everything. I'm talking about detecting areas where you can't swing the coil without getting 5-6 iron beeps, mostly nails.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol the reason I asked is because I can't dig everything. I'm talking about detecting areas where you can't swing the coil without getting 5-6 iron beeps, mostly nails.

Sounds like you need a 5x8 coil. It will help tons!

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol thanks Bart I bought my detector and 5x8 coil from you at the start of this season already!

I just realized in my last post I meant to quote the guy directly above my post which would have made a lot more sense.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are on land that allows you to dig the hell out of it, I would sersiouly try digging and sifting the first couple inches in an area. Ive seen some youtube vids where people have been successful doing that

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm digging an old stagecoach stop. Its an old brick house built in 1817. Obviously, since it was a stagecoach stop, there was a farrier and there is a TON of horseshoe nails, so I got to contend with that. Also, the nice old lady that owns the place said it has never been detected, and she had lived there herself for 47 years. Now on top of the horseshoe nails, I got pop tops and bottlecaps. So based on the fact that it hasnt been detected in 197 years, do you think I should dig everything or let it go? I'm getting 5-6 beeps all up and down the scale with every swing.

Thing is, I do not wish to beat the living crap out of her lawn and grounds, so I am selective and I like to allow the lawn to recuperate between hits. But here's the deal, Mr. H: I'm a stubborn S.O.B, and if it means I have to take 10 years to hunt that property, I will. Obviously, hitting it while its wet is a good time, and not with the sun beating the lawn up. If there is treasure there of any kind, I will get it. :thumbsup:

Whats the moral of the story? Dig it all cuz ya never know.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even think you are crazy for that. If you have a good site and are able to do that, by all means go for it! I have a nice spot in the woods that I've been cleaning out too. I've even been sifting areas just because it gets hit hard and I want to find everything!

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting post // This month I have dug 2 axes 2 Adzes (maybe grub hoes) an 18' brush hog blade (about 10 lbs) ---all came in at 80+--ATP- PRO-Zero -iron D at 40--- zillions of beeps but no question when its a big chunk of iron (or steel //
I love the ATP but wish the Descrim system would STOP the beeps on VDIs that are blocked out-in reality what good does it do to notch out something only to have it beep at it anyway ????Perry

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It's all about the tones, how clear they are or not and knowing what the machine is telling you. The VDI is a secondary indicator only.
A beep is not just a beep, ever.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the tones, how clear they are or not and knowing what the machine is telling you. The VDI is a secondary indicator only.
A beep is not just a beep, ever.

Well that's the whole point of this thread. Could you elaborate so I know what I'm listening for? I don't know what I'm listening for to distinguish between a possible nail and a possible relic.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course there are areas where all you hear is iron. But when the iron tone changes from the norm it's time to dig. In iron infested sites I've taken my retriever with magnet on the end along with digger and have cleaned out a hole to get a good signal in same hole and pull out a Indian head. One site I hunt I pulled a barber dime in the iron but the iron sounded different so I dug and out came square nails and the barber. I've dropped a clad dime in a real trash area right in the iron and couldn't pick up dime unless I worked from all angles and I might get a high pitch for a split second. It's worth digging up that iron in an old site.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the problem. If the relic is iron you cannot tell the difference between a chunk of rusty iron and a relic made of the same composition. It depends on too many variables like size of target, depth in ground, angle, shape and a lot more. Some iron with a good halo will ring in as a high tone, some iron will ring in as a low tone. Objects that rust don't follow "the rules". Cherry pick the place first for good signals and then dig all the iron you can stand and you might get lucky.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem. If the relic is iron you cannot tell the difference between a chunk of rusty iron and a relic made of the same composition. It depends on too many variables like size of target, depth in ground, angle, shape and a lot more. Some iron with a good halo will ring in as a high tone, some iron will ring in as a low tone. Objects that rust don't follow "the rules". Cherry pick the place first for good signals and then dig all the iron you can stand and you might get lucky.

It really sounds like this is what it's gonna come down to, and I'm ok with that because I know this place holds some great relics :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread