Did A Low High Dig Only Hunt With The ATX PI Today :)

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
DSC_0623.JPG

This was in Edmonton. I just scanned for the best operating frequency, set my sensitivity to full and pulled back a bit on the threshold, putting it in quiet mode. There were no shortages of signals, believe me. I hate saying this, as it has been repeated by so many people so many times, but here goes. This place has been hunted to death for the past 45 years, myself included. I have been skunked here on occasion recently, however, had pulled out some nice old silver, large cents and musket balls in the past. There were a lot of nails here, which I never realized. I used the iron check on each low-high signal. About half the nails wouldn't id as iron until they were brought closer to or at the surface. Larger targets, such as rotting tin cans did however ID as iron at greater depth. I dug only low high audio signals, hoping for copper or silver coins. Although I got a plethora of objects, no coins showed up. I did however dig up an old bakery token, a wonderful addition to my token collection. There were a lot of signals over all. As they did in the late 1800's, the homeless still continue to set up tents or build cheap shelters to survive here, until the Parks People evict them. They leave behind beer cans, pull tabs, cans, toiletries, tent pegs, tent poles, nails and many more items. Getting any good targets in these areas can be a challenge. Using a PI in this area is kind of unique, in that there is nothing indicating you to NOT dig any targets, like a VLF or Multiple Frequency with discrimination set. You just plug along (pun intended) and dig. You can rule out iron in some cases, streamline your search for silver, copper and some iron, or just dig it all. And that can make all the difference.

DSC_0631.JPG

Here are some of the better finds. The temperature gauge was a cool find. I had visions of it being ripped out of an old car, thrown into the valley, only to be discovered years later. An old vintage Lipstick Tube, with some writing on the inside about Montreal. It was the cherry red color type, and had that same smell of the stuff my mom used to put on when I was a kid. The lighter...a Fisher Swing Line cigarette lighter, upon research, dates back to the mid 50's.

DSC_0642.JPG

Here is my best find of the day....an old token, late 1800's to early 1900's.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Find! Stewart's Alberta Trade Tokens book says, "John O. Lewis is likely to have operated his bakery for some years prior to the first listing in 1906, when he was at 209 Jasper W. The latest directory listing is for 1908.

Please consider posting your pic at TokenCatalog.com - or (with permission) I could do it.

John in the Great 208

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lighter is a cool find! I bet someone was sad to lose that one!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love tokens. Good one for the collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions