First detector for my Daughters

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Hello all. I'm looking to buy a detector of my twin daughter and son to use. They have been bugging me for one and often rag along on my hunts. The girls are just about 8 and my son is 4th old. I am thinking of picking up a Garrett 250 for them as a first detector. I don't want to waste money on a toy or garbage machine. I'm thinking the 250 is something they will grow I to. Am I on the right track or can anyone offer some advice. Thanks all and HH.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yes the Ace 250 i
Would be a good choice. Along that price range you also have the Fisher f2 which would be good for someone older with the ID numbers but the Ace has a much more straight to the point target if that will probably be easier for them to use. some people will suggest the Tesoro but for the age they would benefit from the screen and easy push button controls. They will be able to work the controls and change preset discrimination. I also don't think they would benefit from a 350 either with the larger coil being heavier and harder for a kid to pinpoint. Plus the 250 Is a better coin machine and the 350 is better for relics.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son is 8 and loves his Tesoro Compadre with the 5 inch coil. The small coil makes it easy for youngsters to pinpoint and the one knob operation is very simple. Set it ar zinc and they are ready to go. Easy onbatteries, super light and adjusts for the smallest of users. $160 brand new with a lifetime warranty. Depth is about 6" on coins, which is deep enough for beginners.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Sounds like you have two good ones to choose from. I would say since you know your kids the best so I would say YouTube some videos of them and see what you think would be the best.

OP
OP
B

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Thank you for the info. I guess my biggest concern is the overall weight and wheather they will be able to swing the detector.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Cheapest being the Compadre is what you want. Kids will simply quit the hobby on day one when finding pulltabs and can slaw. Ain't no sense wasting any more dollars? If one hits and stays???, buy the Fisher F2.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Just info
Ace 250 - - - - - - -2.7 lb
T compadre-------2.2 lb
Fisher f2 - - - - - -2.6 lb

So pretty much all similar

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Cheapest being the Compadre is what you want. Kids will simply quit the hobby on day one when finding pulltabs and can slaw. Ain't no sense wasting any more dollars? If one hits and stays???, buy the Fisher F2.

The Compadre is about as light as it gets. F2 also

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Grandson (7 at the time) the $69 Bounty Hunter Kids unit works good to about 5 " -nice and short + lite-good to start with and now will try to get a 250 for next year//

By the way at the camp/swimming pool we meet almost every day I buried about a zillion coins/hot wheels/stuff so we can detect any time and find things //// Perry

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I bought my Grandson (7 at the time) the $69 Bounty Hunter Kids unit works good to about 5 " -nice and short + lite-good to start with and now will try to get a 250 for next year//

By the way at the camp/swimming pool we meet almost every day I buried about a zillion coins/hot wheels/stuff so we can detect any time and find things //// Perry

Haha I've thought about doing that in a section on my yard for when my kids are older so it will be in the ground for a while
They're 2 and 1 so it will be a while.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the same subject // My grandson-8 kinda gives up trying to dig out the target cause he's not strong enough to dig // (with the Leach tool ) Im thinking of making a small, long handle digger for him // any ideas ?? JP

A funny story: We have our family reunion at the camp/pool site with about 70-80 people and 20 kids// I drag
out the 3 detectors I have and let them go at it// One little boy went home and told his father (not there) that they gotta get a metal detector--there are quarters every where //// JP

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 should be great..Havent used the other 2 but they sound good also from the comments...Ive had my Ace since 07, and have abused it quite a bit, still going fine...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been given a trio of good options.. I'd add the Teknetics Eurotek Pro to that list to consider....

But like a few posters mentioned- I'd suggest something cheap, because you don't know how soon they will give up on the hobby. If they really like it you could always upgrade their machine later. Look around for used, you can get some real bargains if you take your time.

X_Marks_Spot

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, White's, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro, Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brooklyn love to hear that your getting the little ones involved. I make it a point to get kids started on the right foot. I agree with the gentlemen above. If I may be so bold to add to it is try and get a pin pointer included with it. Digging up garbage is going to come with the territory. But if you can blow through it with reduced digging time they will be able to keep there interest peeked. Specially if you get one with the detector and the other with the pointer team work will be enjoyed. My name is Mark. Let me know if you need any help...

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Also if you get a 250 maybe try putting a strip of masking tape over the indicator marks that say 1¢ 10¢........ And make your own makes like dig don't dig or good better best so that way they dig something to see what it is rather then at that age thinking they are going to be digging up a quarter or dime all the time and get disappointed or discouraged because it's something else. That way they are digging up a signal you've marked as something general and then excites because they found an "old" zipper in the ground. Might help them stay excited.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the ETP is even lighter than the 250 and the F2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread