Too Much Noise

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been able to hunt around a lot of old properties and my AT Pro goes crazy. I have it discriminated up to 70, so I only get coins, ect, but it seems it constantly will give me mid and high tones that are sporadic. When I do dig, just for the heck of it, it ends up being a big piece of iron, aluminum scrap, or a bunch of nails. Is this normal with this machine? Does a bunch of junk and iron cause constant tones, one way dings, ect? The tones are not uniform but seem often. This is with the 8x10 and 5x8 coil. And yes, I use the reg mode because I haven't mastered the pro mode yet.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you are hunting in a trashy area.It is very normal for most machines that I know of.I would ignore the one way sounds and dig the ones that sound good both ways.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the world of detecting. Every detector made will false on big iron, aluminum and nice pointy rusty nails. Lower your sensitivity a little, ground balance often and get a small coil for the trashy areas. The longer you use the machine and the more you dig you will get the hang of sorting the trash from the treasure. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking, but I always worry that I might miss something. I just find it odd that I never find anything good at all these old houses.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never find much as far as coins at old house locations either. Relics are everywhere but coins seem rare to me. If I find a silver I'm real happy, I don't know if I'm hunting the poor people's houses of the old days or they just didn't loose much or I am just too late and someone cleaned it out already. I have much more luck sticking to places that I know a lot of people have visited rather than private residences. My best finds always turn up where the shouldn't have been.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The response level in non-pro mode is slow. So the detector will have a harder time separating and seeing all targets properly. Especially in a trashy site.

You could try pro mode with the 5x8 . Go very slow and use a preset hunt mode. If it is still too noisy, discriminate more blocks out.

Pro is the way to go with this machine. Hunting a cleaner area in pro mode, would be a better start. As it would let you learn the sounds much better. Which is key...

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best overall advice.
Learn the machine in pro zero. No disc or notch.
Find a big area to detect close by. With different targets here and there. Go slow, Listen to it all, dig and learn. Then go back again and again. This helped me to grasp all those sounds faster. Keeping the location the same, is important. As it will become a familiar spot and keeps ground variables constant each hunt.

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the same thing when I got mine two months ago. I decided to dive into pro mode with everything open 0 disc full sensitivity and after 3 sets of batteries I feel pretty confident in calling the coins, time and digging everything will do the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread