ATP owners-- have you upgraded your headphones?

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm considering upgrading from the stock ATP headphones, which I've always felt were ok but built a bit cheap, to be honest. I've never had a technical issue with them, but the pads sometimes randomly fall off (they go right back on, but still) and sometimes the headphones get detached from the wire frame fairly easily (again easily fixable, but it's annoying). I want something more robust and preferably all-weather-- I've heard about Gray Ghost but there are others, obviously.

As cheap as the stock phones feel, I'm actually amazed that they've held up fine, other than the issues above. I like detecting woods and "tough to get to" places, so my gear and I are often banging around boulders and downed trees, crawling under porches, etc. I also don't mind detecting in the rain (been ok with hoods so far) and I want to do shallow freshwater next season.

Any thoughts from anyone who has upgraded? Did you feel that your machine's performance improved with better headphones, or was it more a comfort or durability issue?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Try the Gray Ghost Amphibian submersible headphones. They can be ordered with the proper connector.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have never had a problem with AT phones....but love my grayghosts that I use on my F75.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why you would need headphones in the woods..I personally think they are a waste. I haven't worn my headphones in 3 years and have no problem hearing the whispers of deep targets..it just seems like another thing to get in the way

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yep me too. My stock headphones broke last summer and I haven't used headphones since. No trouble hearing good targets and faint deep signals. I will eventually get the grey ghost

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gray ghosts are great for water hunting and i prefer the single volume control they offer, although in my opinion the factory headphones have better sound quality.
I own both.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand why you would need headphones in the woods..I personally think they are a waste. I haven't worn my headphones in 3 years and have no problem hearing the whispers of deep targets..it just seems like another thing to get in the way
If you hunt in the woods it may be ok, but I go through hunted out parks and really clean up. If you have time this is what I found in parks this year. Also it's to noisy to hear
with out them. All my finds are with stock head phones just ordered the Grey Ghosts of rChristmas

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grey Ghost Amphibians.................no problem with stock ones, wanted the under water option, and they do fit tighter, more comfortable..............$150 worth? not sure

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the Garrett phones work fine but the waterproof set has no volume control and are to loud// also it your detecting in and around other folks USE THE PHONES or get yelled at///

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm considering purchasing a pair of Gray ghost for land use.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you considered building a wireless headphone setup? There was a good thread about this a while back. I think eliminating that cord would be awesome.

I hunt a lot of parks and headphones are a must, noise just generates unwanted attention.

Oh, one of the foam pads fell off my headphones and I never found it. Garrett sent me two replacements for free :thumbsup:

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the Grey Ghost Amphibians for 3 months now. I really enjoy them. Doing a lot of beach and wading chest deep in the surf detecting, I find that the block out wave noise and screaming children quite well, haha. Not to mention the single volume control, as stated above, is awesome. So far I am very pleased with my purchase. Hope this helps.

HH

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the stock Garrett headphones and I hated them. I currently use wireless headphones on all my AT Pros (I have 3) I own the Auvio 33-282 wireless units which are great, the TDK WR700 which I think are even a tad better than the Auvios and also run the Rapoo 3070 wireless which are better than the stock wired phones but tend to break up a bit on the higher tones.
As far as wired headphones I have used the Koss phones that came with my E trac and find them comfortable and with good sound quality. I have also used the Grey Ghost and they are excellent as far as comfort and quality and the Grey Ghost Amphibians are a great unit for water hunting.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the Garrett "blue" headphones. They work great. Better than the stock, but most importantly they are waterproof. Its nice to be able to just hose off your ATP and leave the headphones attached. Regardless you should unscrew the coil and headphones every now and then to make sure it doesn't corrode and seal shut.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm considering upgrading from the stock ATP headphones, which I've always felt were ok but built a bit cheap, to be honest. I've never had a technical issue with them, but the pads sometimes randomly fall off (they go right back on, but still) and sometimes the headphones get detached from the wire frame fairly easily (again easily fixable, but it's annoying). I want something more robust and preferably all-weather-- I've heard about Gray Ghost but there are others, obviously.

As cheap as the stock phones feel, I'm actually amazed that they've held up fine, other than the issues above. I like detecting woods and "tough to get to" places, so my gear and I are often banging around boulders and downed trees, crawling under porches, etc. I also don't mind detecting in the rain (been ok with hoods so far) and I want to do shallow freshwater next season.

Any thoughts from anyone who has upgraded? Did you feel that your machine's performance improved with better headphones, or was it more a comfort or durability issue?

Atpro headphones are cheap junk but that's okay, your money is going into the tecter proper. Get the adapter cord and let your dry land rain free headphone imagination run wilder than a pole cat in a hen house.

Last edited:

bigboar

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, Minelab Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I think I may get wet I use the gg amphibians with a ctx connector for the custom waterproof coonection I made for my atpro...

for all my other hunts I use the auvio 33-283 which are modified to work with my custom setup...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 115

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have Gray Ghost for my DFX.....Great....My pads have also fallen off the AT PRO....may go to Gray ghost ...

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some people don't hunt alone and the noise from anothers detector could become a little confusing and distracting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread