Question about the Garretts OEM Coils

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Garrett PROformance DD coils Are manufactured in Texas at their factory by Garrett. They are what you get with the detector and are not an after market coil. They are warranted for 2 years against taking in water or failure.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufactures sometimes don't make their own coils. I don't know where the ATP coils are made but even if someone else made it, it would still be to Garrett's spec.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Manufactures sometimes don't make their own coils. I don't know where the ATP coils are made but even if someone else made it, it would still be to Garrett's spec.

Yes, I understand that.
I thought they look great
Im going to be getting an AT Pro soon, and I was looking at the NEL Coils and get me the Attack and the Hunter NEL Coils.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an attack coil and they are heavy. Was thinking about getting an Hunter coil but havent done it yet. IMHO spend a lot of time time with the OEM before you decide. I do pretty well with them and over all unless you hunt a bunch in open fields the Attack will be to big. Most places I hunt are pretty trashy.

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an attack coil and they are heavy. Was thinking about getting an Hunter coil but havent done it yet. IMHO spend a lot of time time with the OEM before you decide. I do pretty well with them and over all unless you hunt a bunch in open fields the Attack will be to big. Most places I hunt are pretty trashy.

I've been thinking of getting the attack coil,how much more depth do you get with it?

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I will take your advice. I plan on learning the AT Pro before I invest on an aftermarket coil.
I do plan on going into open spaces here in Colorado and most likely I will get either the NEL Storm or the Attack.
In any event, I'm going to order the Hunter from NEL for sure and see how I like it.
My AT Pro is scheduled to arrive Monday. I've ordered it with the basic package; 8.5x11" PROformance DD Search Coil.
I'm definitely going to document all my testings with it so that when I get the NEL Hunter I can make a comparison in both air test and more importantly in-ground test to determine depth capabilities, noise levels, etc...

I've been doing a lot of research lately for hours on end, and I've learned that the recommended maximun size of a coil for a VLF detector is 15" or 30cm where as a much bigger coil will be best on a Pulse Induction machine
That being said, again, I've been doing a lot of research and reading to the point of almost an obession on anything related to metal detector there is to be known and I plan on getting a shoulder strap once I get my NEL Storm or the NEL Attack coil.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One thing I haven't been able to find is the frequency rate of the NEL Coils.
Is it safe to assume they're low frequency coils?
For example, the NEL Storm which is the coil for the AT Pro is described as being stable, greater depth, and good target separation, characteristics associated with low frequency coils...
If anyone has the frequency numbers for all the NEL coils, please post them up.
Thanks in advance.
~Goose

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will take your advice. I plan on learning the AT Pro before I invest on an aftermarket coil.
I do plan on going into open spaces here in Colorado and most likely I will get either the NEL Storm or the Attack.
In any event, I'm going to order the Hunter from NEL for sure and see how I like it.
My AT Pro is scheduled to arrive Monday. I've ordered it with the basic package; 8.5x11" PROformance DD Search Coil.
I'm definitely going to document all my testings with it so that when I get the NEL Hunter I can make a comparison in both air test and more importantly in-ground test to determine depth capabilities, noise levels, etc...

I've been doing a lot of research lately for hours on end, and I've learned that the recommended maximun size of a coil for a VLF detector is 15" or 30cm where as a much bigger coil will be best on a Pulse Induction machine
That being said, again, I've been doing a lot of research and reading to the point of almost an obession on anything related to metal detector there is to be known and I plan on getting a shoulder strap once I get my NEL Storm or the NEL Attack coil.

I have the Storm and love it. I also have a detector buddy strap which I also love. The Bigger coils cover more area and give you more depth. My storm is good because it doesn't pick up the really small stuff to deep (like 22 bullet heads) but I did find a Canadian fish scale at 8 inches and it read silver with a good tone.

Heres the good finds I have found with the Storm in hunted out public parks.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/groups/north-west-treasure-hunters.html
Happy Hunting MackDOg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread