Garrett Pro-Pointer sounds off when applying pressure?

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this thread looking for a solution for my Garrett PP issue.
For me it started with a "bip" sound when some pressure was applied on the device. Then,about two weeks ago I found that any,even the slightest pressure on the tip is causing the PP to "bip" erratically. The interesting part is that the issue is intermittent,and there are moments it stops, and I can use my tool the normal way.
I'm in Israel, and bought this device in US,so not sure if I can send it for repair to the vendor,and if yes,how many time it will take to fix it. Since I can not imagine a hunt without it anymore:),I would prefer to try and fix it myself... is there a way to open the device without breaking it?
Thanks in advance!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two of these and both of them falsed when pressure was applied in the hole. Straight out of the box.

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two of these and both of them falsed when pressure was applied in the hole. Straight out of the box.

Looks like it's a common issue:(. Will try to gently open it today to see what could be wrong...

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought mine 6 months ago. Hasn't been dropped or anything. Just all of the sudden the last couple of times using, starts sounding off even if it's held in the air. Guess I'll be sending it back.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DirkPitt

Dec 6, 2014
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new one from Kellco about a month ago and discovered that pressure on the tip will cause it to "false"...I called Garrett and Adam sent me a new one to compare to mine and it did the same...If you "lean" on it from the side while digging, it will "false" too...Since I am new to Metal Detecting, I chalked it up to "user error/unfamiliarity"...Other than being more gentle, it works perfect and it was great of Garrett to send me one to compare...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. I had two of them.

I just don't apply pressure nor do I need to.

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed mine falsing with pressure and ignored it. Now when it falses under pressure i back off and its still beeping. Even when i hold it in the air it will beep. I have to turn it off and back on to get it to stop. I know that cant be normal. I have fresh batteries in it so it cant be that . Think im going to send it in. I did get a new one the other day and did the pressure test on it and it didnt false at all. So it makes me wonder if the pressure false is normal.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's common for the Garrett and Whites PPs to beep when:

1. Pushed too hard
2. Banged on the side

I saw it a lot in youtube video's when I was deciding to buy one. Finally settled on the XPointer when popular opinion and youtubes showed they never false. Now, if the Chinese thing will last. So far so good.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yall know not to use the copper top Duracell batteries in them. They are a tad taller and just jack things up inside them. Per Garrett when I took mine in a year ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread