Garrett Pro-Pointer sounds off when applying pressure?

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

I dropped my Garrett Pro-Pointer on my 2nd or 3rd time with it months ago so I never had the chance to tell if it's normal or not but whenever I am using it, the slightest amount of pressure to the tip causes it to start beeping just like when a target is close. I soon realized what was happening and now use it without pushing down on it but do they all do this?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and some people have the same problem but I don't know if it's just a design flaw or the result of me dropping it.

Thank you!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
send to garrett for repair damaged coil

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine and my buddies both do this but only if you push hard...

Karuza82

Sep 1, 2014
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine will too if you push too hard against something like the bottom of the hole or the sides. I cringe every time my 5 year old son wants to "help" daddy by pinpointing for me.

OP
OP
NorthernTesoro

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank's guys! I think I'll keep using it since it works perfectly well as long as I don't push on it.

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent my pointer in for falsing about 1 year ago. Garrett fixed it just fine. Today I used it as a digger to soften hard sand. The pointer DID NOT false when pushing on it. At some point you might want to let Garrett look at it.

OP
OP
NorthernTesoro

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank's Eddie I just might once the ground freezes up here and the metal detecting season comes to an end.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Your's is not working right as are some others .. My Garrett Pro Pointer i can push it in the ground as hard as i want and it will only sound off if there is a find there.... Why use one that does not work right when you can get it to work right by calling Garrett.. mastered .. says that his and his buddies only sound off when they push hard …Well there's are not working right either …. Why ones will work with broken detectors or equipment that don't work right i don't know it amaze's me that ones work with detectors that don't work right..

Last edited:

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
damaged coil

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine too will start to beep a bit if I push the tip too hard into the soil. I think this is normal.
No that is not normal .. I can shove mine in to the ground as hard as i can and it will not sound off … Unless there is a find there you know a coin or some pull tabs.. I have tried to get mine to sound off by pushing it into the ground into my hand and into a tree and it will not sound off unless there is a coin or something there …. You all keep telling each other that is how they are to work it's ok …BUT you all are using a Pro pointer that is not working right … But if you all like to work with defective equipment go for it have fun..

Last edited:

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine sounds off on tip pressure too. and it is this years model.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
MIne does not and never did if it did it would go back … If i had to send it back 10 times ….. For i would never work with it like that..

OP
OP
NorthernTesoro

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I wish I wouldn't have dropped mine from the very beginning, then I would know if that caused it or not. I have a trip out of the country coming up and there's no way I am going to run the risk of taking a glitchy pro pointer so I'll have mine looked at before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread