Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you are ground balancing correctly. 80's is way too high for a common pull tab.

That does seem high...Most my old style ones are in the 60's...and "sometimes" when its deep, it will hint to a high tone in the 70s, but never 80s

I saw where someone else said there dimes are in the 90's, which seem Waaaay High. it happens everyone now and then a weird number target, but the dimes should be reading mid 80's give or a take a couple each way

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a tot lot and don't use too much Iron Discrimination. Check all targets with Iron Audio first then dig anyway to see what it is. Just one hour you will learn more than anyone can teach you.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I traded my Minelab X-terra 505 for a new AT Pro. (Thanks Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors)

I've been learning everything there's to know about the At Pro.
I've watched a lot of tutorial videos, read a lot, reviews, etc...plus the field experiences of all the members here, it really has been an educational experience.

I feel comfortable that I will manage it with no problems, I do still want to go thru the learning process starting with the standard mode before I move onto the Pro mode.

It came with a 5" x 8.5" Proformance Coil. It looked smaller in person, at least not as big as I've had envisioned it.

I just put it all together this evening, and I can't wait for the weekend to try it out.

Don't waste your time with the Standard mode go right to Pro Zero. Run your iron all the way to 40. You have to get used to the tones for each type of object. Once you can tell a good signal you dig. If you start out in the standard you'll have to relearn the machine. It's frustrating at first but once you get it down you'll be rocking out the finds. You might want to get the bigger coil also I run the Nel Storm.
Here's a list of my finds for this year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/groups/north-west-treasure-hunters.html

Happy Hunting
MackDog

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't waste your time with the Standard mode go right to Pro Zero. Run your iron all the way to 40. You have to get used to the tones for each type of object. Once you can tell a good signal you dig. If you start out in the standard you'll have to relearn the machine. It's frustrating at first but once you get it down you'll be rocking out the finds. You might want to get the bigger coil also I run the Nel Storm.Here's a list of my finds for this year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/groups/north-west-treasure-hunters.html

Happy Hunting
MackDog
I will eventually order a bigger coil. I'm debating between the Storm and the Attack.
I've got my Hunter NEL Coil on its way. It's got shipped today.
My next one like I've said it's either going to be the Storm or the Attack. I need to hear more reveies on both.
How do you like you Storm Coil?

I've ordered my Hunter NEL Coil from Fort Bedford Metal Detectors, a sponsor here.
Good competitive prices, and a great service from Keith.

http://www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com/

Last edited:

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded my Minelab X-terra 505 for a new AT Pro. (Thanks Keith at Fort Bedford Metal Detectors)

I've been learning everything there's to know about the At Pro.
I've watched a lot of tutorial videos, read a lot, reviews, etc...plus the field experiences of all the members here, it really has been an educational experience.

I feel comfortable that I will manage it with no problems, I do still want to go thru the learning process starting with the standard mode before I move onto the Pro mode.

It came with a 5" x 8.5" Proformance Coil. It looked smaller in person, at least not as big as I've had envisioned it.

I just put it all together this evening, and I can't wait for the weekend to try it out.

Congrats on the new gear... you sound just like me! I bought my AT Pro, 5x8, and Pro-pointer last month and between work, bad weather, and puzzling out places to go I've been out a grand total of twice! I still have a bunch of learning to do as well - just hope I can get to it before the snow flies!
Good luck with your new equipment!

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats on the new gear... you sound just like me! I bought my AT Pro, 5x8, and Pro-pointer last month and between work, bad weather, and puzzling out places to go I've been out a grand total of twice! I still have a bunch of learning to do as well - just hope I can get to it before the snow flies!
Good luck with your new equipment!
Thank you.
I'm hoping for the weather to be nice. Tuesday too cold, but the weekend will be mid-60's to low-70's and so, very nice for Colorado at this time of the year.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't waste your time with the Standard mode go right to Pro Zero. Run your iron all the way to 40. You have to get used to the tones for each type of object. Once you can tell a good signal you dig. If you start out in the standard you'll have to relearn the machine. It's frustrating at first but once you get it down you'll be rocking out the finds. You might want to get the bigger coil also I run the Nel Storm.
Here's a list of my finds for this year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/groups/north-west-treasure-hunters.htmlHappy Hunting
MackDog
I'm getting used to the tone sounds.
The iron grunt tone is unmistakeable.
Hey, congrats on those finds.
I need to pay my dues first pulling pull tabs before I'd get rewarded with my first coin! Lol!

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Finally able to post some pics of my detector...
This is part of the gear arsenal I'm working in putting together hopefully have it completed by next Spring.
Need a GPS, backpack, binoculars, a headband rearview mirror, etc...

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 74
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 70
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 88
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 75
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 72

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Nice! I see you have bear spray. Smart,. you never know what you'll run into. Good to be prepared.

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goose, I noticed that you're from Niwot. I live in Denver and also have an AT Pro. I always hunt in pro mode, but have been disappointed in depth. With the high mineralization here in Colorado, you will lose depth. I called Garrett and they verified the same fact. I have yet to find a coin deeper than 6" and I've been out since last April. Great machine for shallow to medium depth, but I am greatly disappointed with deeper coins and targets. Stay in touch, let me know if you find the same issues.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Goose, I noticed that you're from Niwot. I live in Denver and also have an AT Pro. I always hunt in pro mode, but have been disappointed in depth. With the high mineralization here in Colorado, you will lose depth. I called Garrett and they verified the same fact. I have yet to find a coin deeper than 6" and I've been out since last April. Great machine for shallow to medium depth, but I am greatly disappointed with deeper coins and targets. Stay in touch, let me know if you find the same issues.
Hi. Yes I'm here northwest of Denver.
I've both this detector with the intention of modifying it a little bit. I like some of the features in it.
I've got a NEL Hunter 12.5”x8.5” DD Coil coming to me early next week.
I'm going over to a dry creek by my house and will hunt it good enough to go back with the Hunter later to see if I've missed anything.
I will at the bare minimum run an air test.
I'm still debating whether I should get the NEL Attack 15” DD Coil or the NEL Storm 13”x14” DD Coil next.
They're both an increase in depth according to many reviews and independent videos I've seen.
The NEL Attack 15” may be the one I will eventually get...

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice! I see you have bear spray. Smart,. you never know what you'll run into. Good to be prepared.
I also have a 5-foot wooden hiking cane with a 1/2" L x 3/8" D steel pointer nicely sleeved at the bottom.
I'm big on safety. This Bear Spray you see in the picture is a 9.2 oz can and 30 feet range that I'm going to wear holstered around my waist which allows you to point and shoot from the hip in an emergency situation.
I'm going to be getting another one of about 13.5 oz to carry strapped on my chest. I live about 8-10 miles from the foothills, and many good places to go hunt. Just last week a mountain lion was caught, and released back in the wild, also black bears were roaming around town like 6 weeks ago.

Does anybody else take "items" with you for protection?
Perhaps something most people never think about taking with them?

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You got yourself a fun yet a very capable metal detector....also doubling as a water machine. Looking forward to some of your finds. And yes......we want pictures!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the at pro. Great detector just give yourself time to learn it. You get your coil over something good it's going to let you know. Dig it all for a while. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Love the at pro. Great detector just give yourself time to learn it. You get your coil over something good it's going to let you know. Dig it all for a while. Good luck.

Thanks!
I'm very excited about this detector.
It won't be the only one I'll get.
I have two more detectors in my wish list I'm going to get by the beginning of the year, hopefully.
I'm in this for the long haul!

Edit: I just corrected a couple of typos that I didn't even understand haha!

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'm very excited about this detector. It won't be the inly ine I'll get. I have teo more detectors in my wish list I'm going to get by the beginning of the year, hopefully. I'm in this for the long haul!
your welcome. I just got the gold and if you like the pro and get it mastered the gold is another one I would recommend. So far it's got it's own learning curve but having the pro makes it easier to get through the curve a bit. Good luck on a great detector.

Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goose, you pull any cool stuff out of the ground yet with your ATP? I am responding to "does any one else bring protection". Here in South East PA, all you need is typically a backpack with some water/food and a couple carry out bags in case you find an old bottle dump or rip some big hunks of old iron out of the ground worth keeping. Here, depending on where you hunt, the biggest issue you will run into are punk kids. Yesterday, a few punks thought it would be cute to launch apples at me from a spot in the woods...we don't have too many bears down here...just punk kids who need a good old fashioned tune up! I was half tempted to find the punks but unfortunately, where I was hunting is too close to "New Jack City" and I would have probably got capped...and I wanted a cold beer so I just shook it off. The barrage of apples was only a few at least...If you get much further out of Urban Philly there are black bears but they don't scare me that much, but, I also metal detect in new jack city so its kind of the same in the end I guess...Good luck man, rip something from the 1800's out of the ground!

OP
OP
G

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Goose, you pull any cool stuff out of the ground yet with your ATP? I am responding to "does any one else bring protection". Here in South East PA, all you need is typically a backpack with some water/food and a couple carry out bags in case you find an old bottle dump or rip some big hunks of old iron out of the ground worth keeping. Here, depending on where you hunt, the biggest issue you will run into are punk kids. Yesterday, a few punks thought it would be cute to launch apples at me from a spot in the woods...we don't have too many bears down here...just punk kids who need a good old fashioned tune up! I was half tempted to find the punks but unfortunately, where I was hunting is too close to "New Jack City" and I would have probably got capped...and I wanted a cold beer so I just shook it off. The barrage of apples was only a few at least...If you get much further out of Urban Philly there are black bears but they don't scare me that much, but, I also metal detect in new jack city so its kind of the same in the end I guess...Good luck man, rip something from the 1800's out of the ground!
Well, I did find my first coin on my first outing near my place.
I found a 1990 U.S Quarter. Just the thrill of the moment of not knowing what kind of coin it might be is a rush.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till you turn that plug over and a nice shinny silver is looking at you. No mistaking one of those. If you get the at pro coil over a silver coin it will find it.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2014
Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
ACE 250
AT Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Meaty hand shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree Kodiak! The numbers hit 90 something and the tune hits that sweet WHOOO...not the ping or the low/mid tone..its the WHOOO. cut the plug, flip and there she is...just like when it hit the ground how ever many years ago, total thrill. Goose, good luck my man I'm sure you will hit a silver in your next few hundred holes or so!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread