At gold

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my gold also....I use my pro about half the time and the gold the other half depending on area. I run the big coil off the pro on the gold and it is awesome on civil war bullets and buttons. Also works good on deep brass or silver....but really shines on those lower conductors. Another strong point of this machine is its ability to handle bad ground like a champ. Handles bad Virginia soil better than machines costing twice as much. You have a great, versatile combo of machines with the pro/gold. Good luck!

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my gold also....I use my pro about half the time and the gold the other half depending on area. I run the big coil off the pro on the gold and it is awesome on civil war bullets and buttons. Also works good on deep brass or silver....but really shines on those lower conductors. Another strong point of this machine is its ability to handle bad ground like a champ. Handles bad Virginia soil better than machines costing twice as much. You have a great, versatile combo of machines with the pro/gold. Good luck!
thanks for the info on the coil can't wait to put the big coil on the gold and heading into the plowed field where the old homesteads use to be. I've been wanting the gold for a while and so glad I got it. The pro has found a lot of great stuff and I know the gold won't disappoint me. I wish Garrett would make a new machine with this combo. An at pro with two or three freq and an all metal mode with threshold. I know it would cost more but I bet they would sell like crazy. The standard mode in my opinion was a waste of time on the pro and I have never used it. Thanks for the feedback and having fun with this new detector but the white stuff is just around the corner so it will be hit and miss hunting till spring.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Gold is extremely sensitive to small brass and gold. You will find it digs silver as well as the AT Pro. Regarding headphones, the Gray Ghost Amphibians are great, louder than the blue Garretts and stay on your head much better.

Thanks again for your purchase, EJ!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Gold is extremely sensitive to small brass and gold. You will find it digs silver as well as the AT Pro. Regarding headphones, the Gray Ghost Amphibians are great, louder than the blue Garretts and stay on your head much better. Thanks again for your purchase, EJ! Wayne www.metaldetectingstuff.com
thanks Wayne wouldn't think of doing business anywhere else. You and Doug are great and very helpful. Can't wait to put big coil on it and detect fields. Thanks again guys will be calling again.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This crappy weather we are getting is keeping me from detecting. I went to the livestock expo in Louisville this past weekend and wife wouldn't let me take the detector lol. By time I get home from work it's dark so only have time on weekends rite now. The forecast is looking a bit better by weekend so I hope to give the at gold a good workout and more comparisons vs the at pro. Good luck everyone.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if I am repeating myself, again. Ground balance on the AT Gold requires more attention. The nugget hunters say sometimes when you start out to balance every sweep. No joke. Hilly terrain needs more attention than flat ground and it's easy to balance often. Sometimes I can feel the sensitivity too high, it's like it's uncomfortable, too tensed. Lowest sensitivity (in DISC 1 or 2) I can hit a pull tab from several inches air test with the 5 x 8 coil. Try it on a gold ring. Point is, when you back off the sensitivity you get to a point where it's easier to compare targets' characteristics.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Gold has something that enhances the small targets especially in All Metal mode. So the sens can be turned down anyway. But if you are going for max depth full steam ahead works many times for me. I adjust the GB Window a bit (on uneven damp sand) and sometimes run threshold down negative whatever it takes to get a smooth threshold. Enough so you can hear the targets through it. A larger coil is going to require more attention especially on hot ground and may not be able to run as much sens.

Everybody thinks you are going to lose huge depth if you turn down anything. Just try it and you'll see there is very little loss of depth on good targets. As I say, that's what the controls are for. Depth ain't everything...being able to hear the target is (help me out here)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice signal line. I will def try this when I get out and do some detecting. Thanks

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some time to detect a new field before it got dark. About 45 minutes and 2 large cents and a Canadian half penny. 1834 & 1844 large cents and 1852 Canadian half penny. I'm loving this machine. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417322808.245315.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417322859.652120.jpg

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got some time to detect a new field before it got dark. About 45 minutes and 2 large cents and a Canadian half penny. 1834 & 1844 large cents and 1852 Canadian half penny. I'm loving this machine. View attachment 1086139 View attachment 1086140

Looks like your getting along with the new machine just fine! Now you have to go back to your old sites and pick the ones you missed. :)

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my oldest coin today a 1828 half penny on this site along with Indian head and flint arrow head ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417389547.212833.jpg

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kodiak43351, You are really getting the hang of that AT Gold! Nice Finds! The AT gold is an excellent all around detector(of course except wet salt sand & water)... hits good on coins and silver but really shines on Gold and Relics! I have taken it to CW Relic areas here in TN that have been absolutely pounded by Hardcore Relic Hunters using AT Pro's, Whites, Fisher etc... and I put the AT Pro stock coil on it and have found deep bullets and buttons that those other detectors have missed! AT Gold loves lead and brass!

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I guess I should mention I've found 11 musket balls on this site as well as a lot of horse tack and small brass and copper stuff. I am loving this machine and plan on putting the bigger coil on it soon. But that little coil is doing a great job rite now separating in the heavy trash. This site is going to be one of my go to sites for years to come I hope. I did run the pro trying to find the site before beans were planted in spring but didn't find the spot and got a chance to hunt it the other day with the gold and found the old farm site. I'm sure the pro would do well here with the small coil. I just can't put the gold down lol.

Last edited:

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the AT PRO only in pro mode zero. I switch sometimes back to coin on some objects. I have only used it 10 hours rgh. so far.
I have been rgh. knowing what the object is 75% of the time. More time will help but prefer to check good and poor signals.
I do like the sounds to verify. Head set I remove at times for wife to learn as well. When she learns the unit I will buy a pulse unit.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the AT PRO only in pro mode zero. I switch sometimes back to coin on some objects. I have only used it 10 hours rgh. so far.
I have been rgh. knowing what the object is 75% of the time. More time will help but prefer to check good and poor signals.
I do like the sounds to verify. Head set I remove at times for wife to learn as well. When she learns the unit I will buy a pulse unit.

Good luck with the pro I've had one for a while and it has found lots of great things. I always run it in pro zero and just enough iron disc to knock out nails. It loves silver coins and gives a sweet sound on them. The smaller 5x8 coils is great for the trashy sites. Ground balance often and dig the iffy targets if they are deep.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I haven't had the at gold long but after using the at pro for over a year my conclusion is I'm glad I have the at gold. It's a different machine and I will say I like it better and I will hunt it anywhere I took the at pro. I don't have salt water around me so that's not an issue. The gold is under rated in my opinion and it has found coins on sites I have hunted with the at pro. I went to a spot I have pounded with the pro and other detectors and found wheats deeper that the pro missed. I know I put at pro coil over this spot so the pro didn't give a signal I would dig I guess. I still like the at pro and it's a silver killer but the gold is a better detector for my kind of hunting and my area in my opinion. There ya have it folks I prefer the gold over the pro and I never thought that would happen. This just may be the sites I hunt but I promised at beginning of thread I would give my thoughts. I am more of a relic and old site hunter and only hit parks and places like that when I'm looking for silver and jewelry. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been saying all along the All Metal Mode is a whole 'nother detector with good features.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The all metal mode is the best part of the at gold. You can run in disc on a real trashy site and it works as good as pro with small coil. Very impressed with the gold.

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
EJ your doing great with that gold nice finds haven't gotten out lately not enough time work and family

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TreasureNet in the middle of a field somewhere

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understand oak been crazy with me too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread