At gold

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my new at gold tonite and itching to take it out. I've been using the pro for over a year and am excited to start using this detector. I did a lot of research and really wanted the gold. Don't get me wrong I love my pro also I just wanted to get the gold for a relic machine. The pro hits silver great and I bench tested the gold already and hits silver great also. Very excited to get out and go over same spots I've run the pro and the ace 350 and see if I missed anything. Any pointers on the gold are welcome. Good luck everyone.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Nice! Would love to hear how you like it and your first hunt out with it compared to the AT. I love the AT and was considering the Gold too.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Would love to hear how you like it and your first hunt out with it compared to the AT. I love the AT and was considering the Gold too.
I will give a comparison on it vs the pro. I know it will have big shoes to fill to hunt better than the pro. I'm not expecting it to be better just a bit deeper in all metal. I can't wait to use it and will give my take on it as soon as I can. It def has its own sounds and I really like them but that could just be because it's a new detector. I'll post back after its maiden outing tomorrow.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats. Very cool!
I'm also interested in learning any glaring differences between the two machines.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in a trashy area, start out with a bit more iron discrimination than usual. 40 or more. Actually suggest you move to a less trashy area. Not a big fan of DISC 2 because that usually means too much trash for my ears, but it works. Learn the All Metal mode--less trashy area, listen for deep targets. When you hear the quick blip(as I say they sound like they speed up or try to catch up), glance at the ID to decide if to dig but remember the deep targets will read lower or sometimes not at all. Anyway, learn that deep blip sound. Also remember the ground balance is more high performance and requires more attention. Not uncommon to need rebalance every ten feet. The other controls like ground balance window I use on uneven sand. Same for threshold--the real wet chattery stuff I go into the negative numbers and still run higher sensitivity. You have to find out what works in your area. Tune it so you can hear the deep targets through the noise. That's the real hunting but use DISC 1 when your ears get tired even go to zero threshold for a real break. Chances are you will get overwhelmed so remember low trash and higher iron discrimination to start out.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in a trashy area, start out with a bit more iron discrimination than usual. 40 or more. Actually suggest you move to a less trashy area. Not a big fan of DISC 2 because that usually means too much trash for my ears, but it works. Learn the All Metal mode--less trashy area, listen for deep targets. When you hear the quick blip(as I say they sound like they speed up or try to catch up), glance at the ID to decide if to dig but remember the deep targets will read lower or sometimes not at all. Anyway, learn that deep blip sound. Also remember the ground balance is more high performance and requires more attention. Not uncommon to need rebalance every ten feet. The other controls like ground balance window I use on uneven sand. Same for threshold--the real wet chattery stuff I go into the negative numbers and still run higher sensitivity. You have to find out what works in your area. Tune it so you can hear the deep targets through the noise. That's the real hunting but use DISC 1 when your ears get tired even go to zero threshold for a real break. Chances are you will get overwhelmed so remember low trash and higher iron discrimination to start out.
thanks for the advice signal_line. I plan on a hunt this afternoon in a field where I've found a lot of Indian heads. There is a spot where a house use to be that is very trashy and the rest of the area is easier on the ears with the pro. I normally hunt with the pro with pro zero iron at 27 and nothing notched so I plan on trying the field in all metal with iron at 30. I may switch to disc 1 and try the heavy iron spot. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it out for a very short hunt may try again this evening but so far the gold is def more sensitive to small targets. I hit a .22 fired bullet at 6 inches and it was loud and clear. Found 1 quarter and 2 pennies along with a dog license. I took it over my test garden and it screamed on every target. It really loves the nickel. I switched to disc one and it hit everything and was real faint on deep dime but in all metal it hit hard. It sure is a lot more noise and info in the ears but so far I'm liking this machine. I like the proportional audio sound better than the pros but that could be because I'm so use to the pro sounds and this is new to me. I have a lot to learn about this machine and I am going to love every minute of it. I found some real faint targets in all metal and switched to disc 1 and didn't hear a peep so all metal is deeper for sure. Not sure if I would run all metal in a iron infested site or not yet but hope to give a good test this weekend. I am glad I bought this machine and very excited to use it. The at pro is an awesome machine and after using it I think it will help me learn the gold that much faster. If your in the market for one so far I would say go for it. That's all for now more later once I use it more. Good luck everyone.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Right on glad you like it. Thanks for the info. How do you like the threshold hum in your ears compared to silent search of the Pro??

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on glad you like it. Thanks for the info. How do you like the threshold hum in your ears compared to silent search of the Pro??
I really like it I imagine some guys won't but I like all the noises. I'm going to put it to the test tomorrow on an old homesite that is a field now. I've found a lot of Indian heads there with the pro. I'm going to set up in all metal and maybe try disc 1 in the heavy iron. I will report back for sure. I'm like a kid with this thing exactly like I was with the pro when I got it. I'm not expecting it to out hunt the pro but get the deeper relics that don't sound good on the pro. Time will tell but I can say I'm glad I have it.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Sounds like your having a blast with it. Awesome! Can't wait to hear about your finds and how it hunts.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Excellent! Looking forward to your comparisons to the AT Pro and your finds. I think you will really enjoy the AT Gold. You now own a couple of great weapons for Trash Reduction!

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent! Looking forward to your comparisons to the AT Pro and your finds. I think you will really enjoy the AT Gold. You now own a couple of great weapons for Trash Reduction!
thanks John I'm waiting for the wife to get home so I can take it to my Indian head spot. Not patiently I must say lol.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it to the field for bit. Was windy and cold but dang this thing likes lead. Found another fired .22 and 2 fired .45s. I ran it in all metal and run iron up to 27 so getting use to the mid tone and low grunt only is going to take some getting use to. Switched to disc 1 and got the high tone back but it def takes away from depth. In heavy iron that's not going to matter but open fields where depth is what you want all metal is the way to go. I really like the threshold sound and if wasn't so cold would of dug up some of those deep hits that didn't have a VDI. I'm really liking this machine. I found some buttons also nothing special but the pro and ace 350 have pounded that site for last couple years. The buttons were deep at least 8 inches. Going to be warmer tomorrow so will go out again. No Indian head cents yet but hardly covered the area. I'm sure out in the less trashy area the gold is going to get some targets the pro missed. Very excited about this machine and haven't even put the big stock at pro coil on it yet. That coil hasn't been used for a while and needs some playing time lol. I think it's going to work good on the gold in open field.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it hits hard on the low conductors. Not read many reports on using a large coil on the AT Gold. Should be killer deep. Remember to ground balance even more accurately. Don't be afraid to use low sensitivity. At the very lowest settings, the ID numbers aren't accurate, but try it yourself and see what range you get on a good target. This is in DISC modes. Now All Metal you will notice it gives a weak signal on small targets at the lowest sensitivity setting, but at higher settings it is like there is an amplifier there because the small targets are loud.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it hits hard on the low conductors. Not read many reports on using a large coil on the AT Gold. Should be killer deep. Remember to ground balance even more accurately. Don't be afraid to use low sensitivity. At the very lowest settings, the ID numbers aren't accurate, but try it yourself and see what range you get on a good target. This is in DISC modes. Now All Metal you will notice it gives a weak signal on small targets at the lowest sensitivity setting, but at higher settings it is like there is an amplifier there because the small targets are loud.
thanks for the advice I'm still going to play around with the small coil but plan on putting big coil on. We have a couple days of decent weather so going to swing it today and try after work tomorrow. I really like the sounds on the gold. They are a bit diff than on the pro.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the gold out again today found a 43 wheat and some more buttons. No silver yet. I put one of my silvers on ground in my yard and it screams on it so I know if I get the coil over one it's going to give a good tone. I can't get over the depth diff in all metal vs disc modes. I found the wheat in all metal and it was deep not sure of exact depth but anyway when I got the tone it gave a VDI of 78 so I switched to disc 1 and hardly anything and not to sure if I would of dug it. No signal in disc 2 just a change in threshold audio. So the all metal hit it great with a VDI and disc 1 hit it but barely and VDI was jumpy. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about this detector. I was using the 5x8 coil so the pro would of prob found the wheat with stock coil.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep it up. You are doing well!

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I'm liking this machine so far and I really got it for the relic capabilities. It also hits silver so that was a huge plus. I can tell it's more sensitive to smaller targets and it's going to make me dig more junk but that's fine with me because that's how you find the surprise gold ring or jewelry. Im in the market for some headphones since Christmas is getting close. I do a lot of water hunting in the summer with the pro so the gold will get a good workout in the water also. I really would like some that are waterproof with adjustable volume like the grey ghosts. Only two I've seen are the blue Garrett's and the grey ghost any other options I'm missing out there. The price tag on the grey ghost is a bit scary so are they worth it? Thanks for any info or headphones I can research. I have a secret silver hotspot that I think may be cleaned out by the pro can't wait to take gold there and see if I can find more. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a gold coin. Who knows that's the fun of this hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took at gold out after work for a half hour before it got to dark. I was running in all metal and dug up 3 .22 long shell casings at over 3" and another wheat penny followed by a buckle. There were a lot of targets that were deep and not giving a VDI and I passed on them for now because getting dark quick. I hope to dig up some of those this weekend when I have time. Switched to disc 1 in the heavy iron and pulled out 2 more buttons and some copper wire. Was hoping for a silver but the pro has only found one on this site and it's been hunted a lot by me. Going to put big coil on for this weekend. I like the pro and think I'm going to like this detector even better. I like all the noise and the threshold. It's a lot of noise in the iron infested site but when I get time and slow down I know I'll find more Indians and maybe and old silver. I recommend this detector to anyone who likes their pro and hunts it in pro zero with little iron disc and don't mind the noise. More to come when I get time to hunt. Darn days are short and I don't get home till around 6pm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread