Garrett 5x8 coil or NEL 9.5x5.5 coil??

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Have been contemplating adding a new coil to my arsenal and I am torn between the Garrett 5x8 and the NEL 9.5x5.5 :metaldetector:. Any experiences, comments, recommendations, suggestions, etc are welcomed. I currently only have the stock PRO coil 8.5x11 that came with it at purchase. I have a Minelab Safari also and got the 5" Excelerator coil and love it.
I have noticed there is a 4.5" sniper coil also available for the AT PRO but, it doesn't seem nearly as popular ??? ? Quite possibly due to the fact it doesn't have quite the same depth or ground coverage per swing. So, in addition to the above mentioned coils. If you have had any experience or opinions about the 4.5" sniper coil in comparison. Please chime in :laughing7:.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Where do you normally hunt at?

it looks like either coil will do well in trashy areas and in limited space type field.
I can't comment on performance. I don't own neither one. I hear though, the Garrett is a pretty good coil and the NEL I hear has great target separation and stability...

Hopefully somebody else can chime in with some good comparisons/reviews

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used both... I sold the 5x8 to my friend and kept the NEL... The NEL seems more sensitive...

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
GooseMKII, I generally hunt literally everywhere. Have even tried salt water hunting with the Pro. Most of my metal detecting though is land hunting. Old home sites, old homes still standing, corn fields, woods, parks, schools, and ballparks to name some. I have noticed that a sniper coil can be effective anywhere from a park to an old home site in the woods. To me they seem to be a little more sensitive, faster response, and even can pinpoint much better.

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
masterjedi, how was the ground balance with the NEL coil?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ground balance was just fine.... Like I said, I like it better than the factory 5x8 coil...

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
masterjedi, thanks for the info. Ordered one today and it's on the way. Can't wait. :icon_thumright:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me know what you think after you use it a couple of times :)

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased the NEL sharpshooter. I have used the 5 X 8 Garrett for about 2 years. After only 2 1/2 hours using the NEL, I don't think there will be anything else on my AT Pro. I originally bought the 5 X 8 for the lighter weight. The NEL 5.5 X 9.5 is heavier and I won't be able to swing it as long. The NEL seems to have a big advantage in depth and better ID on nickels and gold. It is slower to use for me because of the extra depth and weight but the pros seem to win over the cons. I would recommend the NEL to a new buyer trying to decide between the two.
Good Luck $ HH

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I purchased the NEL sharpshooter. I have used the 5 X 8 Garrett for about 2 years. After only 2 1/2 hours using the NEL, I don't think there will be anything else on my AT Pro. I originally bought the 5 X 8 for the lighter weight. The NEL 5.5 X 9.5 is heavier and I won't be able to swing it as long. The NEL seems to have a big advantage in depth and better ID on nickels and gold. It is slower to use for me because of the extra depth and weight but the pros seem to win over the cons. I would recommend the NEL to a new buyer trying to decide between the two.
Good Luck $ HH
I have the NEL Hunter Coil which is slightly larger than the stock coil.

Stock Garrett Coil: 8.5"x11"
NEL Hunter Coil: 8.5"x12.5"

While I haven't done a weight comparison side by side, I found the NEL Hunter to be surprisingly light.

As soon as the weather gets better, I have a planned a test comparison with both my Stock Garrett Coil and my new NEL Hunter Coil...

Keep us posted on your progress and new findings with your new NEL Coil! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Jeweler21, That is a good review I needed and some good info. I was wondering about depth sacrifice between the NEL and the stock coil? It appeared in a air test I did on a coin, it lost about 2", but air tests are just that and not an accurate soil environment example. I did order the NEL and have received it but, I have currently been hunting a corn field with some history so I haven't had time to mount the new coil and try it other than the air test.

Last edited:

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeweler21, That is a good review I needed and some good info. I was wondering about depth sacrifice between the NEL and the stock coil? It appeared in a air test I did on a coin, it lost about 2", but air tests are just that and not an accurate soil environment example. I did order the NEL and have received it but, I have currently been hunting a corn field with some history so I haven't had time to mount the new coil and try it other than the air test.[/QUOTE

I air tested the NEL 5.5 X 9.5 before I went out and used it. I really didn't like it, I didn't think it was going to be as good as the 5 X 8 but when I got out with it I liked it much better.
Good Luck & HH

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a 15" NEL Attack coil on my AT PRO... It is the best coil for me of all of the coils including the factory Garrett's and the NEL coils.... when I swing a small coil, it is a NEL 5.5x9.5 Sharpshooter coil...just saying...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread