Ah donts unerstan it

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah don'ts unerstan it

Can someone please help me to understand my local mineralization. Apparently there is a hole in my brain were this information gets processed. I ground balance my AT Pro in a certain field at around 86-87. Is this moderately mineralized soil ?, heavily mineralized ? The basis for this question is that I am wondering if getting the 12 inch concentric is viable for these conditions. I know that these coils go down in sweet black northern soil. But this clayish mineralized stuff may, or may not be?, a challenge for the 9x12. What say ye ? Thanks.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a chart somewhere that showed the efficiency of different coils compared to the amount of mineralization. There were no numbers on the chart but the curve was very steep meaning it's probably going to affect a concentric coil. The point where the two coils crossed was below the halfway point on mineralization amount. How much, I don't know but I suspect you won't get much improvement with the concentric over a double d. According to the chart you will not get any improvement in depth.

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
That is definitely moderate mineralization. Don't get the concentric coil, as it will not work as well as a DD under those conditions. You will probably have to run your sensitivity 2-3 bars down from maximum. Don't worry about losing depth, as under those conditions you will actually get more targets then if you were to run the sensitivity at full. The smaller 5 x 8 coil would be a better choice then the concentric, and you could run the Pro near or at 100% on sensitivity. A lot of users here have found that 5 x 8 inch coil to get awesome depth and target separation.

Here is a link to some information about coils: Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

View attachment 1083041

Last edited:
OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the answers gentlemen. It may have finally sunk in. I might just grab the little 5x8 for the ATP, and just stay with the Tejon for the Boreal forest soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions