Best coil for the AT Pro at the Beach?

pkirill

Jul 22, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, MI6 pinpointer, Lesche 40" ground shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had an AT Gold for about a year now and love it, but since it's no good for wet sand or salt water hunts, I picked up an AT Pro. I'm headed to the beach (North Carolina) this weekend and was wondering about which coil to go with on the beach. I have the 5x8 from the gold and the 8x11 on the Pro. My plan was to stick with the stock 8x11, but thought seek the advice of those more experienced... Any thoughts?

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting the 5x8 I retried the 8x11 but the comfort factor of the little one was to much and its back on and I think will stay on // Perry

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the 8x11 on my ATPRO all the time in the sand with good results. It will tell you all about those pesky bottle caps (most of the time.) I am always surprised by how many dimes the machine finds in the sand.

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
My understanding is the bigger coil for bigger, cleaner area's and the 5 x 8 for trashier area's but I also heard that the 5 x 8 works ok on the sand too.

@Eddie Current, in which way does it tell you about bottle caps?, I ask because my last hunt with that coil I got 30 odd caps, they all sounded real good with hardly no pop on either side of the signal. If I can cut down on caps I would be one happy camper.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My understanding is the bigger coil for bigger, cleaner area's and the 5 x 8 for trashier area's but I also heard that the 5 x 8 works ok on the sand too.

@Eddie Current, in which way does it tell you about bottle caps?, I ask because my last hunt with that coil I got 30 odd caps, they all sounded real good with hardly no pop on either side of the signal. If I can cut down on caps I would be one happy camper.

Run in pro zero and you will hear the iron grunt on both sides of a cap. If you use disc, hit iron audio and you will then hear the iron grunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread