Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend bought a Ace 250 off Craigs list used … he said he checked it out it worked good … he brought it home and the next day it would not turn on .. He put new batteries in it and he still has to push the on switch any were from 7 to 12 times before it will turn on…….At times it seems like it wants to turn on the display will look like it will come on but then nothing .. but when he turns it off it goes right off …. But after he gets it on it works fine….. Any idea's out there ? He said………. ​HELP

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a bad switch or a cold solder joint or some fubar electronics. I doubt it's the battery contacts if just pushing the switch multiple times will turn it on. Sounds like it needs to go back for repair.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
??? I would think it was just a dirty contact in the ON/OFF switch except that it reportedly goes OFF easily each time. How long is he waiting for it to come on after he pushes the ON switch? Maybe a loose coil wire connection to the unit, and it is slow coming on waiting for reading from the coil, then he is hitting the switch again turning it back off before it has had a chance to come on? Probably needs to go in for service, but I would undue the coil wire, clean the connections, and re-install it just to make sure.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks every one that is what i told him .. He did not want to pay for repairs after paying what he thought was a good price for it $100.00

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
??? I would think it was just a dirty contact in the ON/OFF switch except that it reportedly goes OFF easily each time. How long is he waiting for it to come on after he pushes the ON switch? Maybe a loose coil wire connection to the unit, and it is slow coming on waiting for reading from the coil, then he is hitting the switch again turning it back off before it has had a chance to come on? Probably needs to go in for service, but I would undue the coil wire, clean the connections, and re-install it just to make sure.
When it comes on it comes right on … and it is the same no matter if the coil is on or off the 250

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read my signature. It definitely needs repair. If it was a Tesoro it would be fixed for free and maybe Garrett will do the same.:coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Read my signature. It definitely needs repair. If it was a Tesoro it would be fixed for free and maybe Garrett will do the same.:coffee2:
Yes i will tell him to send it to Garrett and then tell him to hope and pray they give him a good deal..

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure Garrett will take care of him. Let us know.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure Garrett will take care of him. Let us know.
Yes i will let you know he has the GTI 1500 and the AT Pro … He just got the 250 to carry in his work truck with him..

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call them and get an rma authorization number, they will call before any repairs are done, and are flexiable with warrenty dates,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread