Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
UP DATE ON MY BUDDY'S ACE 250 REPAIR ..HE IS NOT HAPPY

I posted on here a couple of days ago about my buddy that wanted help on the Ace he got used .. So he called garrett said he got a woman with broken english that he could hardly under stand ….. He is really PO he said that after buying Garrett detectors all his life on that used $100.00 Ace he bought .. Garrett wants $40.00 to look at it plus parts plus for him to pay return shipping .. He said he might as well bought a new one .. after all there charges … I told him when you buy a lower cost detector used that is what happened at times …. You should just buy new on a lower price detector …. I do not know if he will get it repaired or not i think he might be done with Garrett after all these years

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't think you could fix a broken screwdriver these days for under $40, so not really a shocker there. Sounds like that would be a case of throwing good money after bad.... so I'd likely just take the loss and sell it for parts.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I don't think you could fix a broken screwdriver these days for under $40, so not really a shocker there. Sounds like that would be a case of throwing good money after bad.... so I'd likely just take the loss and sell it for parts.
Yes then he could get some of his money back ….He thinks that after all the fees's it will cost him another $75.00 or more . I told him after being a Garret man all these years you would think they would help him out some ..

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
He bought it used.......enough said.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
He bought it used.......enough said.
But remember John he works for a living and does not get his detectors from Garrett free like you do …. I guess you could say .." Garrett is not Tesoro "

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a living and don't get my detectors for free and if I bought a used detector out of warranty I wouldn't expect someone to bend over backwards to help me out. Garrett has the best customer service of any company I've ever delt with that means everything not just detectors. The women he was talking about was Hilda I'm guessing and I'm from ohio and can understand her. She is awesome and have talked to her many times. When my detectors run out of warranty I would not expect a company to fix it for free. I've sent my at pro in once while under warranty due to a crack in housing that I caused and I paid shipping to them and they shipped back and fixed at no charge. You can't make everyone happy. Guess your friend should just get his stuff from a diff manufacturer and see if he gets same customer service. Good luck to your friend but I would cut my losses because the 250 isn't worth putting too much money into. If he wants to unload all his Garrett stuff besides the used broken 250 let me know. I'm sure he won't have a problem selling them.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I work for a living and don't get my detectors for free and if I bought a used detector out of warranty I wouldn't expect someone to bend over backwards to help me out. Garrett has the best customer service of any company I've ever delt with that means everything not just detectors. The women he was talking about was Hilda I'm guessing and I'm from ohio and can understand her. She is awesome and have talked to her many times. When my detectors run out of warranty I would not expect a company to fix it for free. I've sent my at pro in once while under warranty due to a crack in housing that I caused and I paid shipping to them and they shipped back and fixed at no charge. You can't make everyone happy. Guess your friend should just get his stuff from a diff manufacturer and see if he gets same customer service. Good luck to your friend but I would cut my losses because the 250 isn't worth putting too much money into. If he wants to unload all his Garrett stuff besides the used broken 250 let me know. I'm sure he won't have a problem selling them.
Don't get your butt in a up roar i told him not to buy a low cost detector used but he still did … Just stating what happened ..I made that last post for John he has a bad attitude towards any one when they say something he does not like about Garrett . But your attitude is not that great either …

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea but you attacked John and he has been so helpful to me and many others. So what if he gets his detectors for free. I don't and thought maybe I would give my opinion on the subject. I don't have a bad attitude I just feel the need to defend a great company when needed. I'm sry he got a bad used machine but at least it wasn't more expensive. I don't remember if you said in other post but did he test machine before he bought it or was it bought online? It sucks that it's broken but even you admit Garrett isn't going to cover a second hand out of warranty detector. I don't think it's worth fixing since you can buy the 250 pretty cheap. Wish it would have turned out better for him. I wouldn't give up on a company that puts out a great product and awesome customer service just because they won't fix a machine out of warranty and the 250 has been around a while so no telling how old it is. Good luck to him and hope he can get swinging soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well he said he is going to get it fixed , Then sell it but when he sells it it will be in good working order not like when he bought it .. He thinks he can break even or only lose $20.00 he said that is better than a $100.00 loss..My self like Iron Patch said i would just sell it for parts..

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like your buddy was hoping for a in-his-favor, special treatment type outcome and only ended up getting a "fair deal" from Garrett....

This is kinda like the Snap-On tools logic... If a guy buys used and/or damaged tools on eBay, should he be able to trade em in on the tool truck for brand new ones at no cost?

Lifetime warranties and the like are usually intended for the "original owner" AKA the purchaser... If a company is nice enough to honor it to anyone who walks in, congrats - you scored big, or they felt generous.

If they ask to see the receipt, or ask why they don't have a warranty card on file, you only got a "fair deal" which is still nothing to complain about.

I'm pretty convinced Garrett customer service has never done anyone wrong, haha. I recently called and asked to purchase 2 extra battery cartridges for my AT Pro, and the lady just asked me if my warranty card address was valid... I said "yes" and three days later I got a package with 4 new battery cartridges and a sticker - all free of charge.

Similar instance also occurred when I tried to get a new coil cover for my 5x8 coil that I broke by accident... New one at the door within the week, free of charge.

Anyways, hopefully your buddy ends up with either a working 250, or recoups some of his cash and still walks away with a lesson learned... Good luck!

~Tejaas~

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He needs to go open a can of whipass on the loser than sold it to him.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
But remember John he works for a living and does not get his detectors from Garrett free like you do …. I guess you could say .." Garrett is not Tesoro "

I work for a living too, and since when do I get all my Garrett Metal detectors for free? Explanation please?

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I work for a living too, and since when do I get all my Garrett Metal detectors for free? Explanation please?
John you push them hard ,, And before the dealers have the new models in stock you have them already and are pushing them.. That is why we think you get them free..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dealt with Garrett's customer service and I must be unlucky or something as I always end up with the smelly end of the stick. I never buy used water detectors and won't sell my broken stuff. Never had trouble with Tesoro as warranty never runs out. My "repaired" GTI 1500 & my 3 AT Pro's were never repaired correctly so I'll never buy another Garrett.

Last edited:

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dealt with Garrett's customer service and I must be unlucky or something as I always end up with the smelly end of the stick. I never buy used water detectors and won't sell my broken stuff. Never had trouble with Tesoro as warranty never runs out. My "repaired" GTI 1500 & AT Pro were never repaired correctly so I'll never buy another Garrett.

How were they not repair right what was wrong with it after they said they fixed it.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From what I have gathered from his posts about the at pro he thinks they dumbed down his detector to make him happy. I like sandman but he never has a good thing to say about the at pro or Garrett. I'm hard to please and I'm very happy with the pro and ecstatic with the at gold and Garrett but that's me.

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHAT!!!!!! Sandman not happy with Garrett......................that's new! He probably drives a Chevy............they suck

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was in your friends shoes I don't think I would be too upset either way. I wouldn't expect Garrett to look at or fix my used detector for free, regardless of how many Garret detectors that I have purchased new or used in the past. At the end of the day, it sounds like he got a decent low end detector for $100, and worst case scenario has to push a finger button up to 7 times, then is off enjoying his metal detecting hunt for the day. I have had lots of gizmos from lawn mowers, to weed eaters, to automobiles in my life that did not want to start on the first try, but never even thought of calling Chevy to see if they would pay to ship my used 69 Camaro back to them, to see if they would get it to start on the 1st try for me for free. JMO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How were they not repair right what was wrong with it after they said they fixed it.

The GTI 1500 Was sent in once for a problem with the notch not working, got it back an it would ID a Quarter as a penny. Sent it in again to get that fixed and then it didn't always want to power on.

First ATP wouldn't stop beeping when out in the boonies and no cell phone. Sent it back and they replaced the whole unit which I thought it was nice of them. When inspecting it I found one pin on the coil was broken. Knew they would say I did it and was going to just order the smaller coil when a good friend bought me a new AT Pro. Which seems to work as it should but I have lost all confidence in it. I might take her out again.

Cooper, yes I do drive a Chevy having bad luck with Fords. Best car was a VW GTI R-32 but the insurance was $$$ an so were the speeding tickets.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread