At pro depth issues

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you have chatter try switching frequencies. Hold the GB button and switch using sensitivity

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you have chatter try switching frequencies. Hold the GB button and switch using sensitivity
To change frequencies you hold the pin point button and use the sensitivity buttons to go up and down. It goes from f1-f4.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
,,,,,\\\\\

twwt.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your input gleaner1!

You say:
◊ "NOT to set the Discrimination to the bare minimum" and I assume that would be correct depending on what you are specifically hunting for while using the AT-Pro. I NEVER SAID THAT. ATPRO BARE MINIMUM SCRIM IS ZERO FOR IRON SCRIM. ZERO LETS ALL IRON IN. I RUN ZERO IRON 100% OF THE TIME. I DO NOT NOTCH OUT ANYTHING, EVER.

◊"GB is OBTAINED EASILY on the AT Pro."
Question: (According to Garrett; the AT-Pro has Automatic -AND- Manual GB) Why do I get totally different settings when GB'ing in the same spot?
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU A

When I GB in Manual I may get a reading of 87 and in Automatic I get a reading which is totally different? SORRY TO SAY YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. STUDY THE MANUAL ABOUT GB AND KEEP TRYING. ALWAYS USE AUTOMATIC GB WITH BOBBING, ITS THE BEST EASIEST METHOD BY FAR.

◊"The AT Pro is STABLE to EMI and has NO ANNOYING TONES."
In some instances I have found that not to be true. The why is it that when I get instability and I run through ALL the Frequencies (F1, F2, F3, F4) I still get chatter like you wouldn't believe; even after a "factory reset"?

The only remedy for me was to leave the area and sometimes that doesn't work either. I noticed this to be the case on days when I hunt in an area near an Airport, under a flight path for Aircraft on high traffic days.

OKAY, YES. LEAVE THE AREA OR TRY KNOCKING DOWN THE SENSE. THE FREQUENCY SHIFT CRAP IS ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS. IT MIGHT HELP BEING NEAR OTHER MACHINES. MY ATPRO CHATTERS IN THE HOUSE AND NEAR HIGH VOLT POWER LINES, NEVER ANYWHERE ELSE. IF YOU EXPERIENCE 60 HZ CHATTER, TURN SENSE DOWN OR LEAVE THE AREA. IF YOU ARE RUNNING ZERO IRON, THE IRON IN THE GROUND WILL MAKE THE PRO A BIT CHATTY, BUT ITS FROM CRAPPY TARGETS, NOT EMI, KEEP THAT IN MIND. ATPRO HAS THREE COOL TONES, LOW, MID AND HIGH. THE HIGH IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH IN MY OPINION. THINK CZ20.

◊ "A test garden needs to be TEN YEARS OLD to be effective".
I hope I'll still be around to use it in TEN YEARS! Thanks for your valuable tip tho. Now I won't waste my time with this. Hahha

TEST GARDENS ARE AWESOME. THE OLDER THE BETTER. ATPRO HATES FRESHLY BURIED COINS FOR SOME REASON:dontknow:

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I'm striving for the most is CONSISTENCY.

If I go down the street or five miles away to the 7-11 for a cup of coffee; I want the same tasting coffee that I set out to get by going to a 7-11 store.

Same goes for Detecting. I expect the same performance out of my machine whether I'm down the street or five miles away. I am far from being an expert Detectorist but I have a queezy feeling when it comes to the reliability of the AT-Pro with regard to DEPTH.

Too many different people say too many different things about too many different settings in too many different situations with regard to the AT-pro (with both the stock and optional coils ).

I'm thinking the solution may be a new AT-GOLD or a MineLab CTX 3030

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground matrix can change in just a few yards.....so depth will change. And any vlf machine will have this problem......the Gold is a deeper machine with less effects from bad ground. And the ctx is possibly the "best" vlf machine made. If i had the money id buy the ctx.....but i think some people will never be satified. Just remember the targets have to be there to be able to find them....

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
What I'm striving for the most is CONSISTENCY.

If I go down the street or five miles away to the 7-11 for a cup of coffee; I want the same tasting coffee that I set out to get by going to a 7-11 store.

Same goes for Detecting. I expect the same performance out of my machine whether I'm down the street or five miles away. I am far from being an expert Detectorist but I have a queezy feeling when it comes to the reliability of the AT-Pro with regard to DEPTH.

Too many different people say too many different things about too many different settings in too many different situations with regard to the AT-pro (with both the stock and optional coils ).

I'm thinking the solution may be a new AT-GOLD or a MineLab CTX 3030

Eureka, I think you are being too worrisome about depth. Your concerns about depth have nothing to do with atpro specifically. Your concerns are not brand or model specific. If you get a ctx3030 you will be deeper, but it could be argued that a plane jane f75 is even hotter. If you get a ctx3030 it will certainly blow the doors off a atpro. But, if you dont trust atp, you dont trust any machine. If you think you have murkys at nine inches that you are missing, get a bigger coil like the 12 concentric. Holy Crap that is DEEEP. I never worry about depth with atpro, that's a waste of a thought. 95% of the crap will be found with atpro, depending on trash content and masking. If you think the other 5% is worth 2500 beans, that's cool. I'm finding deep stuff here and there, but few and far between. I MIGHT find more with a better machine, but its not worth it for me now, and I can afford a 3030 if and when I want one.

You have CONSISTENCY, you just dont know it. Just gb closely. Dont adjust more than ten points off true gb. Use sensible sense. If yer in the woods with no trash, run max sense with big concentric coils. If you are at Trash Park, turn the sense down and use smaller dd coils. These are just general rules of thumb. I run max sense zero scrim with atpro in the trash parks with big dd, it's so fast. Trust your atpro. BE your atpro. Use good headphones, that is very important. Never look at the screen and never use IA.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eureka, I think you are being too worrisome about depth. Your concerns about depth have nothing to do with atpro specifically.

You have CONSISTENCY, you just dont know it. Just gb closely. Dont adjust more than ten points off true gb. Use sensible sense. If yer in the woods with no trash, run max sense with big concentric coils. If you are at Trash Park, turn the sense down and use smaller dd coils. These are just general rules of thumb. I run max sense zero scrim with atpro in the trash parks with big dd, it's so fast. Trust your atpro. BE your atpro. Use good headphones, that is very important. Never look at the screen and never use IA.

gleaner1 - I thank you and I think what you say is on point. I get the feeling that the more experience I get with the AT-Pro, the more CONSISTENCY will be gained.

I will admit that I found some nice things with my AT-Pro but what made me think feel that the consistency wasn't there is that I found the nice things while searching locations that I had hunted at least three time before.

I can't understand how I missed them the first few times..... and they weren't buried very deep either.

Besides a 1944 US Quarter and a 1940's Mercury Dime; I found this religious medallion. All of these items were found in ground that I definitely scrubbed once or twice before.... go figure.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423094653.165952.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423094710.935779.jpg

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eureka...totally normal,you will hear it all the time,"no place is hunted out".unless you grid a spot...go super slow...then hit the grid again from 90 deg.then 180 deg.again slow with 2/3 overlap you havent hoovered it yet.its cool,you can always rehunt good spots when time doesnt permit prospecting new ones.
a little advice...
get in the habit of hunting a new spot from the same compass direction every time...then when you hunt it again..90 deg direction change.

Did you find those items coming at them from differant direction?

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eureka...totally normal,you will hear it all the time,"no place is hunted out".unless you grid a spot...go super slow...then hit the grid again from 90 deg.then 180 deg.again slow with 2/3 overlap you havent hoovered it yet.its cool,you can always rehunt good spots when time doesnt permit prospecting new ones.
a little advice...
get in the habit of hunting a new spot from the same compass direction every time...then when you hunt it again..90 deg direction change.

Did you find those items coming at them from differant direction?

I was scrubbing in the same direction but using the large 8 x 11 DD coil instead of the 5 x 8. It was harder to pinpoint in the trashy area using the larger coil but the signal was there 100% loud and clear.

It could be that the Large Coil forced me to SLOW DOWN on my swing enabling the "hit." Additionally, the Large Coil covers more area.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Im having depth issues with my AT Pro now... I cant hit a quarter at 6 inches doing air test! With sen at -1 from max. while out in the field, none of my finds have been deeper than 5-6 inches except for the occasional can around 7 inches..

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Im having depth issues with my AT Pro now... I cant hit a quarter at 6 inches doing air test! With sen at -1 from max. while out in the field, none of my finds have been deeper than 5-6 inches except for the occasional can around 7 inches..
I feel your pain man. Pop in a brand new set of batteries and tighten coil up a little and it will change just a touch.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions