At pro depth issues

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still pretty new to this hobby so maybe theirs something im missing. I live in missouri and I think we have neutral soil here. I have been hunting my grandparents yard for a few months now trying to learn my machine. They have soil like you have never seen. Very black, fluffy and cant really dig a plug with out it falling apart. They also have lots of iron in the yard. Their house was built in 1900 and the neighborhood is going threw some changes. Condos are getting built all around it. Which makes me wonder if im not getting emi interference. I get a ground balance of 88 and im not sure but that seems high for here. I have found around two hundred pennys in the yard oldest being a 1918 none of them being over 4 inches in depth. The deepest penny's rang in like a pull tabs. I found some tokens,clad, lots of pull tabs, some jewelry and other little crap. Nothing being over four inches. So im starting to think all these penny's wheres the silver? Im thinking deeper then four inches. Since i had some penny's ring in like pull tabs jumping all over the place, i think maybe ill try and dig some iffy signals that sound deep jumping around. First couple iffy signal was nails. Then i came across an iffy signal that was a silver Washington being only 5 and half inches deep and sounded just like iron. I would think at six inches it should be blowing my ears out. It would take a long time to dig all the iron signals in the yard and just cant see doing that. I have hunted a couple parks and a newer home site and dont recall anything over 4 inches and not sure what the ground balance was. I hunt in pro zero with no disc. I have done air test and seems to be fine in the ai So I guess what im asking is their something im missing? What should the ground balance number be around here in missouri? How do i rule out emi interference and would emi interference make me lose depth? Or should i just send the unit to garrett and let them take a look? Any help would be great. Thanks

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello littlewheaty and welcome! You will enjoy this site.
I've not encountered EMI w an ATPro.
You've mentioned a home built in 1900. In 100+ years, many undesirable targets await you. Sweep that yard slowly, maybe even "grid" sections. Dig every nail, cent, pull-tab, twist top, etc., you can find. You may be surprised what's beneath. Seems the top 4" of junk may be "masking" deeper desired targets.
Your ATPro is fully capable of finding silver dimes well below 6".
Air tests are not to be trusted when in field. Use only for general reference. Sound alone will eventually be your friend. Take notice of each variance in tones.
A ground balance of 88 can be reasonable. I regularly get GB numbers in that range.
Others will provide more help.
Good luck, you will do well.
Peace ✌

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An air test should tell you the problem.... :icon_scratch: Most coins are around 4 inches, but if you do an air test and can't pick up a dime or quarter at 6 inches+ :dontknow: then you machine is not working right... I had the same problem, my machine was under warranty and they gave me a brand new machine they said they would not but they tested the machine and did.... :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have an AT PRO.... PRO guys are not going to like this but, All that iron masks the silver/good targets. You cant hear the good stuff only the iron. Just try this and you will see. Put a silver dime on the ground, lay a rusty iron nail 2" above the coin and another rusty nail 2" below the coin. All items right on flat ground. Now line up your DD coil where its in line with the nails and coin and you will see you cannot even hear the coin, only the nails. So if you are in a heavy iron trashy area the AT PRO will not go deep or find the most good targets. Before you guys throw rocks at this response, just try the short test and you will see...
Just saying...

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have an AT PRO.... PRO guys are not going to like this but, All that iron masks the silver/good targets. You cant hear the good stuff only the iron. Just try this and you will see. Put a silver dime on the ground, lay a rusty iron nail 2" above the coin and another rusty nail 2" below the coin. All items right on flat ground. Now line up your DD coil where its in line with the nails and coin and you will see you cannot even hear the coin, only the nails. So if you are in a heavy iron trashy area the AT PRO will not go deep or find the most good targets. Before you guys throw rocks at this response, just try the short test and you will see...
Just saying...

I'll be the first one to stand with you on this issue, Jedi. The ATP is a big fail in trashy iron areas in my honest opinion. Even with the small coil, its a lot of work. You can live with it if you adopt the attitude that you'll just dig every signal and tough it out - eventually you'll see something good - but it is, like I said, a lot of work.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higgy... Lots of work is correct. Most guys go over a piece of ground once, find a few things and are happy with the AT and think they got it all. What they do not understand is all of the targets that they could not hear because of masking, and they just walked right over them without even hearing the good targets. I have covered spots with the factory coil, 5x8 coil, 15" attack coil and the 5.5x9.5 sharpshooter coil and its not the coils, its the detector masking out the good targets. With the AT you must go over the ground in every direction to even have a shot at not masking good targets. I have even sent video to Garrett about this masking issue. Their response was that the AT was designed mainly for relic hunting and hits on iron better.

OP
OP
L

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the help.

Mud you was right. I actually got a ruler out for the air test and it wouldnt hit a quarter or dime at six inches. Called garrett and they said send it in. So i guess it back to the old ace for a couple weeks.

Jedi i have noticed that when i do hit the yard in different directions i do come across some good targets i missed the other way i just went. So i would have to agree with you on that.

Kid thanks for the welcome and input

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just try the rusty nail test and you will know for sure.... good luck!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also when ground balancing do so at half sensitivity and when ready to hunt turn it up. Reason I was told by Garrett and dealers and later realizing it myself after testing I that if the sensitivity is turns up then all you do is tine the machine to the deposits of minerals in the ground which does allow a gain of depth. I have true this and was skeptical at first but I did come to realize its the proper thing to do and relieved myself of a lot of chatter and gained depth. I have no problems hitting 10" or more consistently, deepest and weirdest signal WA from a BB sized piece of lead 18" deep so either I've the holy grail of AT pros or just figured out the right things.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bz...try the rusty nail test... you are still walking over targets you dont even hear with the AT...

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My at pro air tested a quarter and dime at 6-7 inches! That good or bad? Lol

OP
OP
L

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is bad cause when i told them at garrett they said send it in.

Also thanks for the tip bz i will try that soon as i get it back

OP
OP
L

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually mine wouldnt ring at 6 inches so im not sure what to tell ya

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna bury some coins this weekend and try it i might just have to send it in.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I haven't done the nail test as described but how about this..got a nasty iron overload signal with a nice high tone in it and was consistent so I dug down 7-8" and there was a rusty crusty cookies shovel head half eaten up and as I picked it up I saw something flip and boom an 1890s Indian head penny in great shape and was laying on the rusty shovel. I don't think I'm getting totally spanked on finds but you may have something

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also when ground balancing do so at half sensitivity and when ready to hunt turn it up. Reason I was told by Garrett and dealers and later realizing it myself after testing I that if the sensitivity is turns up then all you do is tine the machine to the deposits of minerals in the ground which does allow a gain of depth. I have true this and was skeptical at first but I did come to realize its the proper thing to do and relieved myself of a lot of chatter and gained depth. I have no problems hitting 10" or more consistently, deepest and weirdest signal WA from a BB sized piece of lead 18" deep so either I've the holy grail of AT pros or just figured out the right things.

I was watching a live dig video about tip on the AT pro and what you mentioned about GB and Sensitivity was also mentioned in the video.

They had a very iffy signal and dug it and it turned out to be a silver quarter 8-10" down. After retrieving it they threw it back in the hole and raised the sensitivity and lowered the GB from 88 to 52 and it rang louder and clearer and the depth meter was right on the button.

Now knowing this, I guess there will be many of us going back to sites that we have dug before. I'm convinced that the more you know about your machine, the more you'll find.

Thanks for the tip.

PS. if you have a cell phone on you - turn it off during your searches.

Last edited:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to try iron audio .... I use it all the time & find coins in iron infested areas all day long ...... Take some time learn your detector ... The AT Pro will find silver in nail infested areas!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may want to try iron audio .... I use it all the time & find coins in iron infested areas all day long ...... Take some time learn your detector ... The AT Pro will find silver in nail infested areas!

Kayden... try the nail test and you will change your mind about the AT ...

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kayden... try the nail test and you will change your mind about the AT ...
How do you get the t2 to get through the iron? I put two nails up on a plastic bowl and a quarter in the middle and couldnt pick it up. Tried it with the at pro too. Nothing but iron grunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread