Garrett At Pro and Nel coils

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well last year I spent a lot of time trying to get info on how good Nel coils were or if they were just trash. A lot of people told me they were unstable and junk. Well after a year of using mine (got the Storm 13/14) in hunted out parks they are great. I run full sensitivity Pro zero mode. They will find deep stuff and will pick up small objects deep. Found a 10 K baby ring at 4 plus inches, found a Canadian half dime at 8 inches. Found silver quarters at 10 plus and they were strong signals. Since getting the Nel storm I've found 5 gold rings, 1 gold pendant and a few misc gold pieces. In hunted out parks this year I've found 21 Barber dimes, 21 Indian heads, 36 Merc's, 177 wheats (12 of those from the teen years),3 standing liberty quarters, 1 Barber Quarter, 1 Barber half (11inches down) a 1832 Nova Scotia half penny, at least 14 1800 coins. This is in Spokane Washington we don't have a lot of history here. If you have doubts about the Nel coils please check on my finds link at the stuff I've found. Another big plus besides depth is are. The coils cover a lot of area and don't require you to over lap much. If the object is anywhere under the coil it will give you the right tone all you do is center the target to get the right reading and depth. The only issue with the Nel coils is the depth, sometimes the depth reading is off by as much as 2 inches, when your digging a 6 inch depth target they can be up to 8 inches. As far as the pinpointing once you get used to it you will be right on target. Another thing I recumbent is get a harness, you will get tired of swinging these if you hunt a lot. Anyone else have an opinion on these coils? I would recommend them to anyone outside of Spokane (LOL). Also if you don't feel safe ordering from the Ukraine there is an American Dealer out of New Jersey who I used. They will do the warranty for you. Let me know what you think or if there's any questions I can help you with.
Happy Hunting

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run the NEL Tornado exclusively on one of my AT Pros this year and I am much more than happy with it. It is very stable, covers a lot of area (I still overlap a lot) and it is deep! I also have no problem pin pointing and if I am off it is only because I did not take the time to narrow it. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post MackDog. Although, your compilation of finds dwarfs mine for the year. Very impressive.
No Nel coil here, but I too have noticed depth readings being off by 2-3 inches when pinpointing with a large coil.
Question; have your numeric readings been near "50" with the larger Nel coil when finding gold rings? Or have they dropped to the mid "30s"?
Thanks
Peace ✌

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My NEL Hunter never leaves my Coinmaster GT other than to put on the 4x6 shooter. Stock 9 weighs a couple of oz less but is a concentric coil and actually feels heavier than the NEL DD. Depth of the Hunter is only an inch or 2 more (air test) than the stock but I like the separation of the DD over the concentric of the same (more or less size). They now say on their sight that the Coils of the current coinmaster family should not be used on the GT due to overload issues but I got mine a year ago and have No such issue. Not sure if this is a build issue with the current line or what .. maybe mine is defective in a good way!
Should I ever get a different machine and need a coil, I would not think twice about buying a NEL.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post MackDog. Although, your compilation of finds dwarfs mine for the year. Very impressive.
No Nel coil here, but I too have noticed depth readings being off by 2-3 inches when pinpointing with a large coil.
Question; have your numeric readings been near "50" with the larger Nel coil when finding gold rings? Or have they dropped to the mid "30s"?
Thanks
Peace ✌
Their 40-60s

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MackDog.
I feared as much.
When I activated an 18"x15" coil on one of my machines, VDI was off. Tones as well.
Peace ✌

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a customer who was taken to a Civil War site.... he was told not to expect much because it was hunted out. The first time he went there with his AT Pro and stock coil, he only found a few stray bullets. After he bought a new NEL Storm he went back.... After his hunt I started getting texts from him - a very excited customer had just dug 26 bullets in about a 50x50 area at the same site! LOL Needless to say he is a believer!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Bedford, is this customer a TNeter?
If so, please ask him/her to pm me.
I have questions.
Peace ✌

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think he is..... But I'll point him to this thread and ask if he can PM you

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@choppadude. I realize this is an older post but I'm curious as to how you would compare the AT Pro/Nel setup to the Etrac? Thanks.

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoover Boys did a CTX3030 vs AT Pro w/Nel Storm video:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat test. I would love to see the 3030 in manual cranked up instead of auto +3.

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I saw that video last week and that's part of why I'm interested in the Storm coil for the AT Pro. I hope Choppadude see's this and will give a comparison.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is known that the Minelab Technology does not perform well with freshly buried coins. Now a coin that has been there 80 years, well you will find it. Dug a Barber Dime at a measured 10" with my CTX. Certainly made me a believer. And it was fairly accurate with the ID.. My Atpro could not have touched it with a stock coil and it certainly would have been way off with the ID

Last edited:

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that video isn't real world testing. That's why I was hoping someone with experience using the ATP/Nel Storm or Attack and Etrac or CTX under real conditions would chime in. Since I already have an ATP, it would be nice if investing $200 or so in a coil would get somewhere close to an Etrac or CTX on deep silver.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am tempted to get one of the NEL or CORE coils for the ATPRO just to play with. But if it rings true as the at has already proven it won't come close on the ID accuracy. That is my biggest love of the Minelabs. They go deep and read fairly accurate at depth compared to the others. If the NEL or core coil helps in this department it would be worth it too me.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are very accurate,plus they help completely cover the ground. My Storm will stay within 2 or 3 VDI on a 8 to9 inch dime

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NEL tornado on my at gold does great. It has found things the stock coil just couldn't reach and wasn't bad in trash. The stock coil is they way to go on trash but open old areas the NEL is on my gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread