AT Pro false signal

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
My sister has one I personally am not the biggest At fan but you have plenty of supporters she had to send here in couse it was going nuts you should do the same it worked better when she got it back when I used it I really had to play with sensitivity and discrimination in different combos for each location and I could dial in some good finds

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
This will sound really crazy to many of you. But if any of these things are happening in a field that has or had livestock in it, it is probably calcified urine and or fecal matter. Basically a cow pie has a VDI number and when you dig in a potty hole you change the chemical disposition and composition of the dirt that was trapped there. I've been working on a numbers chart for animal dung to see how this might work in detailing the age of the dung for forensics. It makes sense when you think about the minerals you eat each day in your own diet. But yes it could also be a coil issue, I stumbled across the Cow pie numbers in a old military encampment thats now used for livestock training.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detectors dont give false signals. They give audio response to ANY metal crap or under the coil. In your case, it was some metal target you just could not retrieve, FOR WHATEVER REASON. Keep trying, it's right there, in the dirt. If it disappears, it's crusty rust or an old crappy alum foil wad that broke up when you dug it, it "disappears" during recovery. Just remember, there is no such thing as "false" targets. If it beeps, it's there. No exceptions.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Furthermore, your "problem" is not brand or model specific, any tecter will do this. Not just atpro, which is a very good machine. Mkay? Keep at it and if you will, please post some finds someday, which you will if you keep at it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not all that concerned that I found nothing in the hole. And not blaming AT Pro. However not responding to my shovel was a problem that DID concern me. I would never have sent it in because I could not find something in the hole.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today was my first field trip with my new ATP. Here's some background:

* I have read manual/watched DVD several times
* I have set up a backyard test bed and used it to practice/familiarize myself with basic machine function
* I appreciate the need to put an honest 100 hrs in field work to come up my learning curve
* I am learning alone because if there are any other folks around here into detecting they keep a very low profile
* I have read as many posts on this subject as I have been able to find

So here's my question. I am getting (Pro mode) readings in the 74-85 range on one swing or pass of the detector. When I come back across the spot from the opposite direction - nothing. Repeated sweeps yields the same results a one-time hit then nothing. I have tried to pinpoint these locations and dug a series of empty holes. Adjusting sensitivity and going to ferrous audio hasn't changed anything. Checking swing speed and ground calibration doesn't affect anything either.

Before I log this response as a false positive I wanted to run this by the Wise Ones. The remarks attributing fp's to metallic residue and mineral pockets make sense to me. What do you think?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely you are picking up a phantom signal but there is a trick to increase the sensitivity. First ground balance the machine automatically then go back and to GB and drop the number down by increments of 5 until you hear chatter but normally no need to drop it more than 25. By doing so it makes an AT more sensitive especially to silver. The signals you are getting like I said are possibly phantoms or a real target something very small but an irregular shape or been in the ground and the mineralized halo is mainly what's left of the target. Try the GB trick first and see. You can also increase the numbers to make it work for less conductive materials but who wants to do that unless looking for specific material.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great feedback, bz. I will try this out tomorrow. And although my coil connection "felt" secure I will also double check it - which probably should be done at the start of each trip as a standard practice.

There seem to be two basic requirements for newbies in this hobby. The first is practice, practice, practice. The second is asking for advice so that the right things are being practiced. Thanks for contributing to my body of knowledge!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also trapper..targets may be laying at an angle..one direction sees edge first while other sees flatter side first.when in doubt step 90 deg.to target and recheck.deeper coins are famous for doing this.
good luck and badger is soooo right about gb.finally higher sens setting is not automatically deeper.every disc notch and filter engaged is costing depth.check an iffy oneway signal...pro mode zero.no iron disc.iron audio turned on.sens one bar below max.....in my mineralized soil this gains me about 2 inches and can ring solid on iffy target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread