But....How Deep Is That Detector Anyways?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
But.....How Deep Is That Metal Detector?

First of all, it's very difficult to answer that question, if not impossible. The answer really is "it depends"

The following all play a significant role, and in combination will always give varying results:

-size of a target-> the larger the target, the deeper a target can be recognized.
-conductivity-> aluminum vs. copper vs. gold. vs. iron vs. silver. Some rings, with size & mass being equal can be detected deeper then others.
-size of coil-> general rule says "larger coil = deeper depth however, add a lot of conductive particles, metal junk and high mineralization to the matrix, and the large coil becomes redundant.
-type of coil-> DD vs.concentric vs. mono. Each coil has a definite advantage over the other under different conditions
-frequency of signal from coil-> higher frequency usually (but not always) is more sensitive to tinier objects.
-VLF vs. Pulse Induction-> Pulse induction can easily pick up a dropped mini or gold ring with a medium sized coil 15-20" whereas a VLF might get about half that all other things being equal.
-Humidity, moisture in soil, orientation of target to the coil
--ability of the coil to perceive the receiving frequency from a coil and distinguish it's conductivity, depth, size etc.
-operator - properly setting up the electonic components based on knowledge and experiences

There are many more variables in involved affecting depth.....the above are just some of the more obvious ones. So really, YOU need to figure out what you are looking for ie. relics vs. jewelery vs. common coins vs. deep copper/silver coins. You also need to know the soil conditions and other factors in YOUR area where you are going to hunt. Lots of electronic interference from above ground or below will make some of the most expensive machines useless, unless you turn the sensitivity way down, which often times reduces your depth considerably. Same goes with extremely high mineralization like in Australia or red clay oxidized clays in North America areas. VLF may really struggle under these conditions, yet a PI (pulse induction) will punch down deep with no trouble.

So.....how deep is the Pro? It is as deep in some instances and deeper in other instances and perhaps not as good as machines costing sometimes more then twice the cost of the . Throw on the 9 x 12 concentric coil in good ground and you have a very deep detector with great ID capabilities. Use the DD 8.5" x 12" coil in heavier mineralized soil, and it outperforms even the larger coil I just mentioned. Put on the 5" x 8" coil and you can easily pick out the good targets beside and often time underneath junk targets, while still getting great depth.

You want a simple, cost effective yet very productive coin/jewelry hunter Garrett has it - Garrett EuroACE Metal Detector | Manufacturer

You want a machine for caches buried in feet, not inches - Garrett has it - Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

You want extreme depth for water or land, check out the Garrett Infinium - Garrett Infinium LS Metal Detector | Manufacturer

You want a great all around machine for good depth + Salt or freshwater hunting (waterproof) Check out the At Pro - Garrett AT Pro International Metal Detector | Manufacturer

You want to search for gold nuggets both tiny and large, check out the Garrett ATX - http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_atx_main.aspx

You want to hunt common coins with sizing ability, check out the GTI Series- Garrett GTI 2500 Metal Detector | Manufacturer

Why should depth not be the most important factor for purchasing a metal detector? Because depth is only relative to certain conditions. Most targets are in the top 6 inches anyway, so why do you need to go down to 15-20"? In places like salt water or areas with a lot of deep junk rusty targets, the large coil on your $1,500.00 machine is practically useless, and when set up to it's maximum potential in these areas, will only give you say 4-5 inches. If somebody is trying to sell you an expensive detector, that they say is the deepest machine, you had better turn around and run fast....as that equates with someone trying to sell you a a parcel of land in a swamp. There is no 'DEEPEST" machine....it simply doesn't exist. But there are BEST configurations of a metal detector type for any given matrix of soil.

Choose wisely!

oldstuff2.jpg

Page from an earlier Garrett Metal Detector Catalog....

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up John. Thanks

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Thanks....just trying to put some of those "it's the deepest detector available" comments back to more reasonable discussions and facts.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some times it just falls on deaf ears John because when you pay $1500 for a detector it feels real bad when they guy on other side of fairgrounds is pulling silver with one that cost half as much and getting good depth but great separation. I love that little 5x8 coil. Going to put the big at pro stock coil on my gold soon to do some field exploration. I'm on the track of another old homesite where a freshwater spring I found walking in the woods this past fall.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Some times it just falls on deaf ears John because when you pay $1500 for a detector it feels real bad when they guy on other side of fairgrounds is pulling silver with one that cost half as much and getting good depth but great separation. I love that little 5x8 coil. Going to put the big at pro stock coil on my gold soon to do some field exploration. I'm on the track of another old homesite where a freshwater spring I found walking in the woods this past fall.

Yessireee! Sometimes the truth hurts.:laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang I loved my old Garrett BFO!! Bought in 1970, found tons of great stuff with it. It was the best pin pointing machine ever with the dual coil. I wish manufacturers today made a machine with the switchable dual coils. I still have my old BFO, but it no longer works and an electronics guy I know says the capacitors go with age and probably replacing them will make it work again. Strictly beep or more like buzz and dig, no discrimination, but man I found a lot with it!! I have the 12" coil with the 5" inside it and the 8" coil with the 3" inside it, best coin hunting coil I've ever used.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Dang I loved my old Garrett BFO!! Bought in 1970, found tons of great stuff with it. It was the best pin pointing machine ever with the dual coil. I wish manufacturers today made a machine with the switchable dual coils. I still have my old BFO, but it no longer works and an electronics guy I know says the capacitors go with age and probably replacing them will make it work again. Strictly beep or more like buzz and dig, no discrimination, but man I found a lot with it!! I have the 12" coil with the 5" inside it and the 8" coil with the 3" inside it, best coin hunting coil I've ever used.

Do you still have and use that old BFO?

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
I can't seem to upgrade from my Ace 250. Cost is not really a factor and I guess it has a lot to do with the sites I usually hunt. I have posted some here.
That's OK! The ACE 250 is a great machine. As long as you are having fun and finding keepers with it, keep it.

aces.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still have and use that old BFO?

I still have it but don't use it because it doesn't work. Garrett no longer has parts or anybody in their repair department who knows anything about the BFOs. A friend of mine has one also and he had the capacitors replaced and it works. I probably need to get the same thing done on mine. That dual coil system is the best, but I am probably spoiled by discriminators now and don't know if I still have the patience to dig all targets like in the good old days. I do get fooled by my discriminators at times though (think it's a good signal and find junk) and at those times I long for my old trusty BFO.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still have it but don't use it because it doesn't work. Garrett no longer has parts or anybody in their repair department who knows anything about the BFOs. A friend of mine has one also and he had the capacitors replaced and it works. I probably need to get the same thing done on mine. That dual coil system is the best, but I am probably spoiled by discriminators now and don't know if I still have the patience to dig all targets like in the good old days. I do get fooled by my discriminators at times though (think it's a good signal and find junk) and at those times I long for my old trusty BFO.

30 year old electrolytic capacitors tend to go bad over time. You will also see cracked solder joints on PCBs, especially where pushbuttons or jacks connect.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
30 year old electrolytic capacitors tend to go bad over time. You will also see cracked solder joints on PCBs, especially where pushbuttons or jacks connect.

They used to cover those old cardboard capacitors with wax to help prevent them from drying out. Then the wax would collects all sorts of dust, then the components would over heat, putting even more pressure on those capacitors to dry out.

And the math to figure out capacitance or Capacitive Reactance
would fill up 2 blackboards.

fil1_1.gif

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man figuring out those formulas bring back memories of my apprenticeship classes. Stop doing that lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread