ATX: A running log of my experinces.

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this hobby and forum but wanted to share my experiences with the ATX. I thought it would be neat to be able look back on this thread after I have had a few years of detecting under my belt and see how much I have changed. I also thought it might be helpful to other people starting this hobby to read about my failures and success's. Unfortunately I didn't think about keeping data on my hunts until I made my first good find so that's where I will be starting from. It should be said that before I made my first good find I had approximately 15 hours of ATX use that resulted in digging up a lot of junk iron, aluminum cans, pull tabs etc... Please feel free to critique or criticize my techniques.

First Find - 11/30/2014

Location - South East Kansas. Private property with no physical structures or foundations on property. The land consisted of a combination of crop land and pasture. The reason I was interested in detecting at this location was due to an isolated row of cedar trees that separated the crop land from the pasture. Growing up in this area I realized cedar trees are a sign of old homestead locations and/or other buildings to block the north wind.

Historic Significance - Talked to a few local old timers (age range 78-91) about the location and all of them had a different story about what use to be at there however none of them remembered an actual building being there. The stories they shared with me were based on what family and friends had told them through out their lifetime.

Weather - 63 degrees Sunny

Ground condition - Moist from precipitation two day earlier

ATX Settings - Performed frequency scan then ground balance.

Sensitivity: 10
Threshold: 7
Volume: 7 (with headphones)
Ground Track: OFF
Motion Mode
Coil Cover ON

All Items found at a depth of 8" and all in the same hole.

Signal Characteristic that led me to dig was a low tone followed by a high tone. The tone was NOT broken or echo sounding. The tone was soft and stable with the led indicators reaching a height of 5. The tone was consistent no matter what direction I approached it from.

Iron Check was used with no grunting detected.

The first coin found was the 1918 Walking Liberty half dollar. It was found in an almost a complete flat or horizontal position with the front of the coin facing up. I am assuming this was the reason for the type of tone I heard.

Second Coin was the 1911 Barber Dime (D) it was down and slightly off to the side of the Half Dollar

1902 V Nickel was locate to the side of the Dime and in an almost vertical position

Hope this info comes in handy for someone and I will try and keep it updated.

1902 Nickel.JPG 1911 Barber Dime.JPG 1918 Half Dollar.JPG

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the coins. The atx is a hot detector and would be pretty deep. Good luck

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Can't wait to see more!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice posting, nice finds and a good use of available intelligence. The older people are a valuable asset when searching for relics etc. Informative post thanks

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a great first trip out with the ATX. If I ever decide I want a PI machine to go with my VLF units, the ATX will definitely be on the shortlist.

As the ATX is quite physically quite different from many other detectors, I would be interested in any thoughts you have about the ATX's ergonomics as you learn it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread