First silver half with AT pro and its a Barber

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted this on another site but since found with the AT pro wanted to post it here too. Short story - pulled my first silver half last week. And happens to be my first barber too - 1910.

For those that don't mind reading my stories - here you go
Hit an old tear out area last week that opened up last month. Quickly realized I wasn't the first that thought this as I saw a few holes with 40 caps tossed next to them. About 5 feet from a hole I find a wheat on the surface. Then a couple copper pennies. Guess the other guy gave up with all the trash. Then another wheat so then went from scout mode to full grid thinking there could be something. Popped some more clad and another wheat. Out of 7 pennies 3 were wheats. Then got a jumpy 92 then 80 signal on the AT pro. came at it different directions and could almost make out two targets maybe an inch apart. Quickly dug 3" and out pops another 40 cap (that would be the 80 signal). Then the 92 signal became solid at 8". dug down and popped out the target. Couldn't believe my eyes. After never ending sprinkler head parts that have rung up 90-95 over the past year, I finally have a big silver. My first silver half. Then to make it even better it is my first barber, a 1910. Always wanted to find a barber but never thought it would be a half. Barbers are not common in socal. no mint mark so only 418K were made. Near 2 mil with mark S so lucky to find the rarer 1910. This is now also my oldest coin. Great way to spend the afternoon.

Attachments

• 1910 half.jpg
    1910 half.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 102

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I've found a silver dollar but no halfs yet. Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Excellent find!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the amazing find! I have detected behind others and found great things like this as well. I believe that many guys only cherry pick for solid, silver coin signals and avoid any "iffy" or mixed signals like what you experienced.

This is also a prime example of why removing all trash you find pays off (versus just tossing it back into the hole of on the ground). The other guy probably would have found the 40 cap, tossed it back into the hole and moved on, never re-scanning the hole once he removed the trash.

This was my strategy at the last side-walk tear-out I hunted: I go over the area and dig everything, removing as much trash as possible. I'll then re-hunt the area multiple times after tweaking the settings, sometimes walking in a different pattern. I always find more good stuff on each pass.

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice find! It's really pathetic that there are MDers out there that are too lazy to pack out the trash they dig and fill in their holes. How difficult is it to drop a pull tab or similar into a trash pouch before moving on?

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story and sweet find, congratulations!

OP
OP
M

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It was a great find. Plan to go back and see if I can find more targets among the trash. Either way it is fun just getting out. Maybe get very lucky and break into the 1800's too.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It was a great find. Plan to go back and see if I can find more targets among the trash. Either way it is fun just getting out. Maybe get very lucky and break into the 1800's too.
If nothing else, just dig everything. Who know what might be directly under that piece of trash.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Wow! Nice save! I've got over a dozen barber dimes but no quarter or halves,.....YET! HH ALL

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Posted this on another site but since found with the AT pro wanted to post it here too. Short story - pulled my first silver half last week. And happens to be my first barber too - 1910.

For those that don't mind reading my stories - here you go
Hit an old tear out area last week that opened up last month. Quickly realized I wasn't the first that thought this as I saw a few holes with 40 caps tossed next to them. About 5 feet from a hole I find a wheat on the surface. Then a couple copper pennies. Guess the other guy gave up with all the trash. Then another wheat so then went from scout mode to full grid thinking there could be something. Popped some more clad and another wheat. Out of 7 pennies 3 were wheats. Then got a jumpy 92 then 80 signal on the AT pro. came at it different directions and could almost make out two targets maybe an inch apart. Quickly dug 3" and out pops another 40 cap (that would be the 80 signal). Then the 92 signal became solid at 8". dug down and popped out the target. Couldn't believe my eyes. After never ending sprinkler head parts that have rung up 90-95 over the past year, I finally have a big silver. My first silver half. Then to make it even better it is my first barber, a 1910. Always wanted to find a barber but never thought it would be a half. Barbers are not common in socal. no mint mark so only 418K were made. Near 2 mil with mark S so lucky to find the rarer 1910. This is now also my oldest coin. Great way to spend the afternoon.

Awesome find! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread