Why I Prefer Using Concentric Coils Over DD Coils

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Concentric coils just give me more ID characteristics and allow me to accurately guess the depth of the target using only the audio, as shown in the short clip.

addon.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting thread.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree John. Both coils have their place, but I find that I struggle more with properly IDing targets with my DD than I do with the concentric. It "seems" like a concentric just gets more in return signal to work with than a DD.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir i like the concentric coil better than the double DD and use the concentric more than the DD … To me just a better inland hunting coil..

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using stock DD on ATgold and have found it to be great! I hunt inland (parks, farmland and old homesites) gold prospecting and in streams. I will have to do more research I guess. Thanks for putting a bug in my brain.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the double D myself and I can pinpoint an item really well with the wiggle technique. Just as you demonstrate, once the target disappears beyond the front edge of the coil, that is where I dig. I will probably will buy a concentric coil just to have as a backup and you never know, I may end up using it as my primary too. It'll be interesting to try out.

But one thing I've never understood is why folks get hung up on whether a target is say 3", 4", 5" or whatever the depth may be? I understand it is nice to see how deep your detector and coil will penetrate but it depends on the size of the object too. Plus if your detector states the target is 3" down, are you really going to dig just 3"? You'll keep digging until you find the target. That's just me though.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread, I have always preferred double d coils for their separation abilities. I really never have problems pinpointing with them once I learned the technique. I think I am going to buy a 5.3 coil for my MXT and see if it helps with bottlecap ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions