NEL coil question...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at the NEL Tornado coils for the Garrett AT pro and AT gold.......Why do they list them seperate? When stock coils are interchangeable.......Is there something special about the NEL coils that i am missing? Also, has anyone used a Tornado on the AT gold?

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere the nel coils are not interchangable between the pro and gold.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah when u go to order....it say AT gold ONLY or AT pro ONLY.......just wondering why? And i want one for my Gold.....a buddy has one for the pro and loves it.....gained around 2 inches depth with it and better ID.....offered for me to try it on my gold but i figured out it wont work. So i would like to know if someone has used one on a Gold...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be that one operates at 15khz and the other at 18khz?

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its something about the difference in freq between the 2 machines.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the stock coils are interchangeable???

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the tornado for the gold. I just got it a couple weeks ago. Only got out once with it so far do to weather. I took it fairgrounds and found the usual clad. Hit some deep targets tried to dig them im sure they are silver coins but ground was to frozen and didn't want to ruin my permission. They will have to wait till it thaws a bit. In my test garden the coil hits everything and hits the 9" clad dime easy. I plan to do a full review soon on the coil for all the gold users. Never tried one for the pro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the tornado for the gold. I just got it a couple weeks ago. Only got out once with it so far do to weather. I took it fairgrounds and found the usual clad. Hit some deep targets tried to dig them im sure they are silver coins but ground was to frozen and didn't want to ruin my permission. They will have to wait till it thaws a bit. In my test garden the coil hits everything and hits the 9" clad dime easy. I plan to do a full review soon on the coil for all the gold users. Never tried one for the pro.

Cant wait to hear it!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a customer with an AT Pro who picked up a Tornado.... at a CW camp while hunting the stock coil he dug three bullets in the entire day. Later he came back with the Tornado and dug 26 three ringers! Its definitely quite a bit deeper than the stock coil!

As for the compatibility of NEL coils between the AT Pro and AT Gold, I'm not sure why they spec the differences. I'll check on this and get back with you. Let me know if I can help get one for your machine. :)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've asked the question why to my distributor.... the response was because of the different frequencies of each machine the coils are tuned for the different models.

There is one member here who recently picked one up from us for his AT Gold, and he was very happy with the improved depth in air testing.... not sure if he was able to try it out in the field with the cold, frozen ground. I'll see if he is willing to chime in to this thread. :)

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was me lol. Yea I tried it at fairgrounds and it hit a deep target that I know is a silver dime or possibly a silver quarter. I tried to dig it but ground is to hard and didn't want to tear up area so I will wait. It hits every coin in my test garden with a perfect VDI #. The gold stock coil hits them also but not loud as the tornado. The at pro hits all of them with stock coil except the 8" nickel. I'm excited to hit some open less trashy areas when the ground thaws. It's definitely deeper than the stock gold coil and with air test it's deeper than the at pro stock coil on my gold. Some guys don't like aftermarket coils on their detectors but I wanted to get one and try it. Not many American shops offer these coils so I did some research and found that fort Bedford offered them and was a tnet sponsor so I ordered from them. I'm glad with my purchase from them and they are passionate about this hobby just like the guys from Metaldetectingstuff where I've bought my last 2 detectors. I will give a full report once this ground thaws but so far I think this was a good purchase for the open areas. The stock coil will go on in the trash but I will try the tornado in trashy spots to give a good review. Thanks for the great customer service. To be continued

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for stopping by to give the report - and for the kind words, Kodiak!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread