Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I see were some say they like the AT Gold over the AT Pro for coins & Jewelry they say things like the difference is like night & day .. the AT Gold is better but who knows what kind of difference that is on detectors ? To bad they can not elaborate better………………….

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I can't see the AT Pro finding much less or much more than what the Gold can find and vice versa, other than the Gold's ability to detect really small targets which is what it's made for, nuggets. The Pro can find nuggets too. The AT Gold may win over in finding very small sized targets and in depth slightly with its true all metal mode. Now coins and rings and jewelry, I think they are both basically equal , if it's there they will both find it. 15khz to 18khz wont make either one much better or worse in its ability to pick up coins or jewelry greater than the other.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've personally seen the AT Gold hit targets deeper than the AT Pro in mineralized soils.... and would expect it to be the same in good ground due to the threshold found in the AT Gold. But for most people the AT Pro will suit their needs just fine. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot to be said about the true all metal mode and the threshold that can change slightly on a deeper target.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and the diff is nite and day in real trashy areas. The gold can hit better on targets surrounded by rust in the soil and nails or other iron. The pro does well also but the gold gives a better sound. As for depth the gold with the small coil hits all targets in my test garden and the pro hits them with stock coil but not all with 5x8. In all metal the gold gets a couple inches deeper. I like the threshold and all metal for the fields I hunt. The pro has found me a lot of great things but so far the gold has impressed me more. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use both machines when I'm relic hunting. The Gold "gets the call" more often because of the all metal and threshold features. I use both coils; stock AT pro and the 5" x 8" on the gold.

pkirill

Jul 22, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, MI6 pinpointer, Lesche 40" ground shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have both and I like them both. The gold probably gets the nod in trashier areas. That being said, which ever you go with you gotta work with it and learn it. I almost sold my gold after a month but gradually learned it's language (with some help from folks on this forum). That's when the hobby gets fun...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They speak slightly different languages...but the gold is steadily taking the pro's place for me. The all metal mode at the push of a button is great. The gold also clearly hits low conductors harder such as lead and nickels. Found more buffalos in the first 2 months with the gold than 2 years with pro. The only benefit I see of the pro is better vdi numbers on silver coins. They tend to be higher giving a stronger hint that it is silver. It also has the benefit of notching if you like. The gold seems better on chains....whether they are silver, gold, etc. Deep bullets are a breeze with the gold in AM. Hope this helps a little.

ktmzing

Jan 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found something that I don't like with the AT GOLD is that it will not work near the ocean. How does the PRO do in and near salt water?

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for a vlf machine the pro does pretty well in the wet sand....just remember to manually GB.I used it last year on the wet sand,I had to GB between 8 and 11 but was able to use full sense with very little chatter and was finding coins and bottle caps over six inches down

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Maybe this will help, depending on which type of detecting you. Click below:

Garrett Comparison Chart - AT Gold and AT Pro

snipercoilgraph.jpg

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I like about the gold is that you can have "iron audio" in the "all metal mode" .. so that means you are detecting at maximum depth and still discriminating, choosing to skip the grunty signals if you want.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have personally dug several deep sharps carbine bullets with the AT gold that did give iron grunt using it in all metal. So this feature does have depth limits.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the all metal mode in open fields when targets are slim. If I get a deep target that sounds half decent it's getting dug up. I have scanned targets in all metal then switched to disc 1 and signal gone. Dug up round balls at one site that way. I just got gold this fall and haven't used it as much as pro but so far it's my go to now.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sharps bullets mentioned above were undetectable in disc also. The ATpro also couldnt touch them...

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig the grunts in most conditions, I am just too curious to walk by, unless it's trashy, I wait for good repeatables to come through if that's the case and the at gold does a nice job of separating them out.. I got a nel hunter coil on the way, I am hoping that gives me a little more depth and a larger footprint to cover larger areas easier than the 5x8 , but I am sure with a bigger coil I will be also giving up something, always seem to be a trade off when going bigger or smaller, once I get the hang of it I will probably pick the right coil for the right location and be better off than with just the stock 5x8. The nel hunter is a 12.5" x 8.5" .. I don't wanna 15 incher, seems a bit too big to me.(thats what she said)

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you have the AT Pro is it really worth spending 700.00 for the Gold? I would buy one if I could get a good deal on one but not sure at 700.00 its worth it

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you have the AT Pro is it really worth spending 700.00 for the Gold? I would buy one if I could get a good deal on one but not sure at 700.00 its worth it

You won't pay $700 you can get great deals I am glad I got the gold call Wayne at Metaldetectingstuff and tell him your a tnet member and you may be surprised at the price of a new at gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions