Tried a GTI 1500

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently tried out an older gti 1500 and saw some potential from it however it was an older version with the white coil etc. I liked what I was seeing as an answer to junk targets. So I did some swapping and got a newly refurbished 1500 with new style coil.

I take this gti out yesterday in the cold and put it to the test and that treasure vision is no joke. I'm not saying its perfect because someone will say they've had it false on them but yesterday it was right 100% of the time. I even called it a liar and dug targets the machine was saying was trash and duh it was trash. Depth is decent, I found a piece of foil no bigger than a pencil eraser at 8" and the imager was dead on. O was hitting targets at 10" no problem and this was using the 9" coil. I'm going to try to find the 12" imaging coil for depth. This is now my back up for my AT pro but may be used more now that I see how well the "green bean" works.

Anyone else using the gti 1500-2500? I'd like to hear your experience with them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have the GTI 1500 in my stable and like it. But now most of my hunting is In the water. I like how it pinpoints spot on.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was wondering if the unit was lighter with the new coils. I tried one several hours at the time they came out, and found it preatty heavy/unbalanced.

That being said, the Imaging works correctly on relatively clean areas.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new spider coil seems lighter than the old one and more balanced. The older one weighed in at 4lbs with batteries but I will have to weigh this one

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a DFX and when I get tired of 1. the weight and 2. the trying to figure the dang thing out I switch to a GTP 1350 and I love it. My wife uses a GT12500 with vision and treasure talk anyone remember that? never had any trouble from either. The GTI out performs me almost 2 to 1. they are heavy with 8 batteries and all.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to try what Garrett suggests which is to remove the battery pack from the handle and clip it to my belt to see if it makes a difference. I personally don't see the weight as being that bad maybe because the machine feels balanced. It weighs 4.1lbs and to have a deus in hand at 2lbs it feels like a toy. Its an older machine but have you guys noticed that some if the older machines still kick butt and exceed some of the new machines or at least keep up with them. This GTI is no joke and now I see there is a 20" DD that increases depth by 60%, supposedly reaches depths of 20". I don't want to dig that deep but who knows.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes i remember treasure talk … And i like the GTI detectors .. I like the GTI 1500 a lot better than the AT Pro.. I have always said the GTI detectors are better than the AT Pro .. You will like that 1500..

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just did some trading and have a 12.5" spider coil and 4.5 scorcher coil coming. So I should gain depth and be able to sharpshoot some places.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I just did some trading and have a 12.5" spider coil and 4.5 scorcher coil coming. So I should gain depth and be able to sharpshoot some places.
Yes those scorcher are really nice .. But they are not imaging but i still like them..I have the 5 x 10 DD

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes and something else you see how many AT Pros out there for sale and other brand detectors …….. But to find a used 1500 can not be found at this time and a very few used 2500's can be found so that should tell you something …. Most that have the 1500 are keeping them.. Like i always said they are better than the AT detectors..

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ATP and many hours swinging that wonderful machine but I have but a few moments on the GTI1500 and im being teased..this weather is a curse on us. I can't wait for some warmth and a chance to see what this machine will really do. You're right you don't see hardly any GTI for sale that's why I jumped on the only one I saw.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch ebay ...there are several gti 2500 for sale on there right now and pretty much any given time....I have been watching them and have contemplated getting one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread