So, is everything with a nice high tone, and showing 77

camanddad

Jan 29, 2015
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the target id going to be a can? Got my new pro last week, took it out Fri and Sat after doing some tests on some coins and other stuff I have buried at home, went back to the field my son has been hitting with his 250, and after balancing, I make a few passes, get a nice high tone, 77, 6 inches, and it is a can. Another few passes, same thing. Another few, same thing. Now I know I am going to dig trash, not complaining about that, but after a dozen or so, it was pretty frustrating.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can usually tell if its a can by lifting the coil up and keep swinging. The can is going to keep beeping about a foot high off the ground and a good target usually will not. Besides, what machine doesn't sound off good on a can? its a non ferrous metal...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Camanddad,

Congratulations on the AT Pro! If I could make a few recommendations. Run the machine in Pro-zero mode, with iron disc on 21 - 25 (may be different for your area), when a target is found switch to iron audio and listen for a broken signal or a low-high-low sound (bottle cap) note: I run in iron audio mode all the time, a bit busy, but I'm use to it. Learn to hunt by tone and use the VDI for a "second" opinion. Also try lifting the coil above the target and note the height, if you are up say 5 inches and getting a loud signal 'think trash" (can). We all get fooled and dig some trash, its part of the learning process. Remember to get the gold targets we all love to find, you must dig a lot of trash - mid-tones are your friend! I consider myself a skilled operator and still get fooled, it's ok. Also, you can run the machine one or two bars from max with out a large loss in depth (sensitivity is not linear) - experiment in your area.

Build a test bed and try different settings to see which ones work for your area and hunting style. Most of all enjoy the experience, goodies will come with time.

Best Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
C

camanddad

Jan 29, 2015
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. i don't mind the trash, it was just we did not have a lot of time, and ended up burning most of it on the junk. Oh well, lots to learn, thankfully daylight is getting longer and only a few weeks til dst starts too.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You can usually tell if its a can by lifting the coil up and keep swinging. The can is going to keep beeping about a foot high off the ground and a good target usually will not. Besides, what machine doesn't sound off good on a can? its a non ferrous metal...

Nice tip there, fella'

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Lifting the coil was the best tip I ever received. But once the trash is gone, what's left over might be worth finding.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like to "walk" the coil back and forward....if the target is big its probably trash. But remember, a coin might not read the full length of coil if it is deep...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifting the coil will let you know its a can...or a jar of coins.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99.999 percent of the time a 77 is also a crushed aluminum twist off.

OP
OP
C

camanddad

Jan 29, 2015
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the lot we are hunting is about 3.5 acres, and I have no idea the history of it. I do know part of it had a pond on it at some point, and maybe a barn ( found an old hinge, really big like you would find on a barn door ). So far, with mainly my son's 250, found lots of clad, some shotgun shells, a sterling bracelet, and a store token, two zebco fishing reels, and 2 keys, along with assorted metal scraps.

When I took my pro out last week, was getting lots of hits in spots we had been over tow or three times, but we were short on time so anything iffy, I just marked, and we will go back to. most of them were faint, so pretty sure they were just too deep for his 250. Good thing is I have permission to dig as much as I want. Landowner does not care if I bring in a backhoe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread